Independence Day?

Started by Zapatista, July 25, 2008, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

as we were never fully independent that is why there is no independence day. I do feel that 1916 should be celebrated better and the government could make a bigger effort than they do to celebrate it.
Grand Slam Saturday!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 26, 2008, 04:34:56 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 25, 2008, 03:05:17 PM
Cos we aren't independant. Our constitution talks of the Ireland as being one state. Yet 6 counties are not under our juristiction.

Effectively what you're saying is that you can't have an Irish Independence Day until we Unionists give our consent, then?

In which case, speaking on behalf of all 1 million of us  ;), I'd say there's no bloody chance any time soon. Leastways, not until you can spell it properly... :D

Pardon my spelling. It has nothing to do with whether unionists give their consent or not. When Ireland becomes one country again then we can have an independence day. The most likely way for that to happen is a referendum in the north (and the south). A referendum just requires a majority vote and not a majority from one particular section of the community. It would be nice if unionists did consent of course and realised the futility of their position  :-*

Evil Genius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 26, 2008, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 26, 2008, 04:34:56 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 25, 2008, 03:05:17 PM
Cos we aren't independant. Our constitution talks of the Ireland as being one state. Yet 6 counties are not under our juristiction.

Effectively what you're saying is that you can't have an Irish Independence Day until we Unionists give our consent, then?

In which case, speaking on behalf of all 1 million of us  ;), I'd say there's no bloody chance any time soon. Leastways, not until you can spell it properly... :D

Pardon my spelling. It has nothing to do with whether unionists give their consent or not. When Ireland becomes one country again then we can have an independence day. The most likely way for that to happen is a referendum in the north (and the south). A referendum just requires a majority vote and not a majority from one particular section of the community. It would be nice if unionists did consent of course and realised the futility of their position  :-*
That is a very curious way of looking at it.  ??? Unionists are not in some way separate from, or a component of, a "community" - they are a community.

For NI to leave the UK would require a majority of the voters of NI to consent. Those who do consent are known as Nationalists, those who do not Unionists. The latter are currently more numerous than the former and imo, likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, demographics notwithstanding.
Therefore, the only way Partition will be ended is if somebody or something persuades a significant section of the Unionist community to change their mind and move over to the Nationalist community. I see no sign of that happening, either.

Therefore, Irish Nationalists North, or South, seeking an end to Partition, are beholden to Unionists in NI. You know, the more I look at the Good Friday Agreement, the more I like it... :D

(Having lit the blue touchpaper, Evil Genius dons his Tin Hat, retreats to a safe distance, and prepares to enjoy the fireworks display  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

boojangles

Having lit the blue touchpaper, Evil Genius dons his Tin Hat, retreats to a safe distance, and prepares to enjoy the fireworks display  ) 
Don't think that comment deserves a reply.

Evil Genius

Quote from: boojangles on July 26, 2008, 06:09:49 PM
Having lit the blue touchpaper, Evil Genius dons his Tin Hat, retreats to a safe distance, and prepares to enjoy the fireworks display  ) 
Don't think that comment deserves a reply.
So you did!

Anyhow, whilst your here, any comment on my point? I accept it was likely to be highly inflammatory, but that doesn't mean it is not also valid.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

I didn't read eg's post but I'm guessing someone needs to tell him there will never be a united Ireland so that he can sleep tonight.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 26, 2008, 01:42:33 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 25, 2008, 08:53:14 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 25, 2008, 02:33:11 PM
Why does the Republic of ireland not celebrate an Independence Day?

You don't think our brethren left behind in the north are resentful enough as it is? :P

Ahh sweet Jesus J70, have you sold yourself out that much that you would now consider an Armagh man more northernly then your clan!
FFS whats your idea of the north?
Has America addled your brain that much?!

Sure that's the way everyone refers to it down around the Blue Stacks region. Honestly! :D

Zapatista

So Evil Genius, do you want to have a stab at answering the original question or continue to dance around it?

Why does the Republic of Ireland not celebrate an Independence day?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Zapatista on July 28, 2008, 08:25:56 AM
So Evil Genius, do you want to have a stab at answering the original question or continue to dance around it?

I'd guess it stems from a mixture of embarrassment at "celebrating" Partition and/or difficulty in selecting an agreed date and/or a desire to look forward rather than back. Plus there may be a degree of embarrassment at (or at least a lack of consensus on) the character and actions of many of the leading figures in the Independence movement.

Mind you, if Partition were to be ended, I could see a new Government celebrating that date. But as I indicated to Myles The Slasher, I don't foresee any such eventuality occurring any time soon, not least because the consent of Unionists in NI to that is paramount.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Zapatista

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 28, 2008, 11:58:09 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 28, 2008, 08:25:56 AM

I'd guess it stems from a mixture of embarrassment at "celebrating" Partition and/or difficulty in selecting an agreed date and/or a desire to look forward rather than back. Plus there may be a degree of embarrassment at (or at least a lack of consensus on) the character and actions of many of the leading figures in the Independence movement.

Mind you, if Partition were to be ended, I could see a new Government celebrating that date. But as I indicated to Myles The Slasher, I don't foresee any such eventuality occurring any time soon, not least because the consent of Unionists in NI to that is paramount.
The question is not about the north or unionists but feel free to add your own ideas anyway.

The date is not important EG. Why would the date be important? Easter Sunday has no set date. The desire to look forward is dead in the water with the celebration of 1916.

So that leaves embarrasment?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Zapatista on July 28, 2008, 12:02:28 PM
The question is not about the north or unionists but feel free to add your own ideas anyway.

The date is not important EG. Why would the date be important? Easter Sunday has no set date. The desire to look forward is dead in the water with the celebration of 1916.

I will. I have.
The date is not important EG. Why would the date be important? Easter Sunday has no set date.
It is surely important for one date from the list of possible alternatives to be agreed, is it not?
The desire to look forward is dead in the water with the celebration of 1916.
If you say so.
Perhaps.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 26, 2008, 06:04:28 PM
(Having lit the blue touchpaper, Evil Genius dons his Tin Hat, retreats to a safe distance, and prepares to enjoy the fireworks display  ;)

Typical Prod. Light a few polluted fires in July and run off to let someone else deal with the aftermass ;)
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 28, 2008, 12:10:26 PM

So that leaves embarrassment?
I will. I have.
The date is not important EG. Why would the date be important? Easter Sunday has no set date.
It is surely important for one date from the list of possible alternatives to be agreed, is it not?
The desire to look forward is dead in the water with the celebration of 1916.
If you say so.
Perhaps.

It is important to have a date but it's not important which date. It is hardly an opsticale.