Laois v Down

Started by Down Gael, July 20, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Down Gael –  McVeigh would have saved the goal but it bounced right in front of him.  Brendy couldn't be faulted for a well taken goal.  He had a strong hand out but the ball bounced in front of him.  Couldn't have been stopped.

Everyone apart from Ross seems to think Dan was dealt with very harsly.  I want to see this on TV.

What was wrong with the Down goal at the end of normal time???  I really want to see this on TV again, I could see nothing wrong with it from where I was. 

The Laois crowd were getting a bit annoyed with Down playing the ball backwards in the last few minutes and giving them a bit of a booing but it was smart football.  They tried to hold the ball, and from 32 mins to 35 mins the only touch a Laois man got was a half block on the ball, Down kept the ball and McKernan got a point at the end of it.  It wasn't very pretty but it had to be done and fair dues to the lads.

Did I mention the goal Down got disallowed at the end of the first half?  Why? Why? We'd have been hijacked and burnt out if we'd have lost this game. 
We need Dan Gordan's Red card over turned if we are to progress to the next round.

Portlaois while not being on the par with Tullamore was still a good night out.... 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

amallon

We'd have been robbed if we'd lost this one.

amallon

Ok I'll take all the robbery talk back until I see the disallowed goal and the sending off on TV.  The Blondie boy should have hit the net at the end for Laois.  :o

southdown

McKernan's goal at the end of the first half looked fine, could not see anything wrong with.  That Down number 31 was definitely Hugh Davey, which confirm the previous stories from Hogan Stand.

Will home advantage be allowed in the next round?  Would love to have Dan back and get Armagh at Newry :)

bridgegael

oh aye that was davey surely, he's been on the panel now for a while,  i doubt he'll play any part this year.  what time is draw at this evening?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

interested

the milkman

McKernan's goal in 1st half wasn't given, cause the ref. said murtagh (i think) threw the ball to him, a ridiculous decision!

1st half we destroyed them, Benny looked better than ever last night, 3 different markers couldn't get close to him when it went 15 aside. Him and Clarke look to be developing a good understanding!! Howard too is developing into a top class defender, thought he kept the dangerous Parkinson very quiet last nite.

Big Dan was a massvie loss, he and ambrose were lording midfield. Lost the cool for a about 10Min's when he went but showed great will to win in holding! Turley impressed me when introduced.  Then ambrose and mc kernan lead the way to victory.

Jack lynch tried his best last night but was clearly way out off his depth. If Dan is definitely out I really hope Lynch doesn't play. as someone else said.  Rooney has to partner Ambrose.   

thechampishere

According to the Football Qualifier article posted on www.gaa.ie it states that all venues for the 3rd round of the football qualifiers will be determined by the CCCC. So chances are you might get a couple of matches in Croker and then two at two other neutral venues, possibly a double header in somewhere like Clones or Portlaoise may be a possibility. Looks like the home advantage goes out the window when you get to Round 3!

INDIANA

good win for down but without gordon and mc comiskey they need to draw wexford , or its likely to be end game. Donie Kingston must be football's version of Joe Canning, i mean has anyone at 17 years of age made such an impact. Thye'll have some job keeping the Aussies away from him. Had Laois picked the right team they may have won. The non-selection of o loughlin,munnelly and tierney was crazy. I put a big punt on down during the week when i saw the laois selection. Could't believe it.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Down Gael on July 27, 2008, 12:42:22 AM
Dan deserved to be sent off, he gave the ref no choice. Clancy wound Dan up and although there was minimal contact, if any, he had to go. The referee was brutal, there was no real physical stuff in the game, but he was giving unnecessary frees and showing yellow cards for challenges that would have been let go in an U12 game. Ronan Murtagh was booked for a fair challenge  ???
The sending off changed the game. Down were lording it at midfield up until then, but lets give credit to this Down team, they fought for every ball and defended quite well, though the keeper should never have been beaten by what was really a tame shot. The loss of Martin Cole was also a big blow and I doubt he will be available for next weeks game, he looked to be in a lot of pain.
You couldnt really criticise any of the Down team tonight, everyone of them played well. We won midfield quite comfortably until the sending off, the forwards were excellent in the first half, though seemed to lose their shooting boots in the second and the defence did ok. As a Laois man said to me after the game, we have the makings of a great team. I think tonights game is as far as this team will go this year, injuries and the loss of Dan through suspension will severly hamper us, but we would have taken this at the start of the year. We are heading in the right direction for the first time in years.

I would disagree, Dan is in no doubt a massive loss but Ambrose is a class player and with the likes of Rooney and Colgan (where is he after a solid performance against Armagh?) to come in , and it looks as though Turley will be a more than decent replacment for Monk Cole. At 6ft 3in and plenty of pace big Turley is just what we need alongside the ever improving Luke Howard. Also with the options of a very strong bench with the likes of Sexton, McGovern ,McCartan, Kearney and McComiskey if he's fit to name a few, things I would say are looking up.

Had car trouble last night on the way down just outside Dublin so we turned and headed for home again to be on the safe side. Was gutted but we listened to it on the radio and when you cant see whats going on in a game like that its awful - never again on the radio! But back to my point, on the radio Hughes and Murtagh were very quiet although Fagan appeared to be prominent. When Sexton and McGovern came on they seemed to steady things surely there must be a case for both the next day out. I'm a fan of Murtagh but he's out of sorts - apparently had a fitness test before the game and as for Hughes he seems to have had another poor championship performance last night, how many more chances is he going to get when in every mnatch the boys who come in as subs produce the goods?

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Down Gael on July 27, 2008, 12:42:22 AM
Dan deserved to be sent off, he gave the ref no choice. Clancy wound Dan up and although there was minimal contact, if any, he had to go. The referee was brutal, there was no real physical stuff in the game, but he was giving unnecessary frees and showing yellow cards for challenges that would have been let go in an U12 game. Ronan Murtagh was booked for a fair challenge  ???
The sending off changed the game. Down were lording it at midfield up until then, but lets give credit to this Down team, they fought for every ball and defended quite well, though the keeper should never have been beaten by what was really a tame shot. The loss of Martin Cole was also a big blow and I doubt he will be available for next weeks game, he looked to be in a lot of pain.
You couldnt really criticise any of the Down team tonight, everyone of them played well. We won midfield quite comfortably until the sending off, the forwards were excellent in the first half, though seemed to lose their shooting boots in the second and the defence did ok. As a Laois man said to me after the game, we have the makings of a great team. I think tonights game is as far as this team will go this year, injuries and the loss of Dan through suspension will severly hamper us, but we would have taken this at the start of the year. We are heading in the right direction for the first time in years.

Pintsofguiness, I doubt you were at the match tonight, yet you see to comment on a game that you know nothing about. In fact I dont believe you attend Armagh games much either, yet you think your opinion is wanted on this thread. You are a sad little man, with no life outside the internet. Grow up. Your comments are meant to antagonise, but nothing will be done about you again as you like a few others on this board seem to be above and beyond the rules. One of the "protected".

Sorry messed that last post up, should have been:

I would disagree, Dan is in no doubt a massive loss but Ambrose is a class player and with the likes of Rooney and Colgan (where is he after a solid performance against Armagh?) to come in , and it looks as though Turley will be a more than decent replacment for Monk Cole. At 6ft 3in and plenty of pace big Turley is just what we need alongside the ever improving Luke Howard. Also with the options of a very strong bench with the likes of Sexton, McGovern ,McCartan, Kearney and McComiskey if he's fit to name a few, things I would say are looking up.

Had car trouble last night on the way down just outside Dublin so we turned and headed for home again to be on the safe side. Was gutted but we listened to it on the radio and when you cant see whats going on in a game like that its awful - never again on the radio! But back to my point, on the radio Hughes and Murtagh were very quiet although Fagan appeared to be prominent. When Sexton and McGovern came on they seemed to steady things surely there must be a case for both the next day out. I'm a fan of Murtagh but he's out of sorts - apparently had a fitness test before the game and as for Hughes he seems to have had another poor championship performance last night, how many more chances is he going to get when in every mnatch the boys who come in as subs produce the goods?

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: thechampishere on July 27, 2008, 11:18:14 AM
According to the Football Qualifier article posted on www.gaa.ie it states that all venues for the 3rd round of the football qualifiers will be determined by the CCCC. So chances are you might get a couple of matches in Croker and then two at two other neutral venues, possibly a double header in somewhere like Clones or Portlaoise may be a possibility. Looks like the home advantage goes out the window when you get to Round 3!

yes round 3 is different - no home advantage - it is played a neutral ground. Forget about Croker - qualifiers are not played there.
We had to go to Cavan last year to play laois in round 3. Its the Quarter Finals that are played in Croke Park.

Down Gael

Quote from: amallon on July 27, 2008, 03:54:33 AM
Everyone apart from Ross seems to think Dan was dealt with very harsly.  I want to see this on TV.

What was wrong with the Down goal at the end of normal time???  I really want to see this on TV again, I could see nothing wrong with it from where I was. 

amallon, I dont think there were any TV cameras there.

southdown

I didnt see any cameras myself which is bad news, I hope the Sunday game can show some of this game, they showed very little on the Offally game.  What I really want though from the Sunday game is for them to really analyse the Dan Gordon sending off, if it is shown that he was harsly sent off on the Sunday Game it would help any possibility of getting any ban over turned.

miss mess

was at the match.  clancy went down very easy, it was def a shoulder but will probably be put down as an attempted headbutt id say