Laois v Down

Started by Down Gael, July 20, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2008, 08:36:58 PM
The lads on the radio said Clancy went down like a cheap hooker to get Gordon sent off. Anyone who attended the game like to comment? (I can wait a few hours ;D).

Must have have been very cheap indeed !  :D ;D ;D

Our Nail Loney

All ya can hope is that dan's card is rescinded. Not a dirty player and would be a shame to curtail his class summer he's having.

Brick Tamlin

GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're still rank but hanging in there.....please give us a home draw next week.

Jinxy

I should point out the RTE lads didn't actually use the cheap hooker comparison. I bet they were thinking it though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 26, 2008, 08:48:21 PM
GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're still rank but hanging in there.....please give us a home draw next week.

Thought it was neutral? Anyone clear this up?

Brick Tamlin

forgive me, i thought it was open draw again...hell im just glad we won.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 26, 2008, 09:01:30 PM
forgive me, i thought it was open draw again...hell im just glad we won.

Aye me too, but as I said I am not 100% on that brick, hopefully someone will clear it up

johnpower

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 26, 2008, 08:38:06 PM
All ya can hope is that dan's card is rescinded. Not a dirty player and would be a shame to curtail his class summer he's having.

Great match ,Down awesome in first half . The game was played at some pace ,The 14 men of Down showed some composure when under pressure . As for the red card he had to go the ref had asked him and Clancy to stop and immediately he put the head in again .

thechampishere

As far as i'm aware, the draw will give the team coming out first home advantage next weekend! Sounded like a great game tonight, hard luck on Laois after going in some nine points down, they almost pulled it off, and they may just have done it but it sounded like there were some very poor wides from the Laois boys. It also seemed like the ref spoilt the game somewhat with his constant stopping of the game!

Congrats go to Down and all the best for the rest of the Championship

balladmaker

The sending off of Gordon could deal a fatal blow to Down's chances next week.  If Armagh bite the dust tomorrow, imagine Down drawing Armagh for a game in Newry next Saturday night! ... or Kerry!

Tomorrow night's draw is sure to throw up some great pairings for next week!

Our Nail Loney

Tomorrow nights draw is gonna be class, never thought I would be saying the following sentence with down still in contention but:

The Championship starts now!

time ticking away

next weeks games are at a nuetral venue with at least one double header in croker
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: time ticking away on July 26, 2008, 10:56:44 PM
next weeks games are at a nuetral venue with at least one double header in croker

Is this for deffs?? Where you getting it from?

downgirl

Taken from BBC:

Laois started the second half brightly and teenager Donal Kingston found the net before Dan Gordon was harshly sent-off for a foul on Padraig Clancy.

From gaa.ie :

and although Dan Gordon was dismissed for lashing out at Laois midfielder Pauric Clancy in the second half, the visitors withstood the pressure.

From RTE:

Laois continued to pile on pressure following Gordon's dismissal for a clash with Pauric Clancy.

From hoganstand:

Down midfield stalwart Dan Gordon saw red eight minutes into the half for a clash with Padraig Clancy, which gave the home side the extra man advantage and a chance to run at the northerner's shaky defence

And as mentioned by someone else the commentators on Radio Ulster were adamant that Dan did not deserve a red card and that it was a shoulder to shoulder tackle...but unfortunately I wasn't at the match, can't wait to hear what people who were at the match thought of it.  Also, would there have been cameras there to either prove or disprove whether it was a red card offence or not??

In the Onion Bag

Interviewed by RTE after the game Ross said Dan did make a move with his head but added that Dan had taken serious provocation from Clancy before hand which linesmen had seen but not acted on.

The RTE commentator said video evidence will show no contact was made and that Clancy swan dived.  They added that if video evidence can be used to penalise a player it should also be used to exonorate.  Here's hoping!