9. Ambrose Rodgers (An Cloch Fhada),
10. Kevin McKernan (Boireann),
11. Brendan Coulter (Droichead Mhaigh Eo),
12. Danny Hughes (Sabhall),
13. John Clarke (An Ríocht),
14. Ronan Murtagh (Baile Cholmain),
15. John Fegan (Cluain Daimh)

The Real Laoislad

With Down coming to O Moore Park on Saturday, Laois manager has made four changes to the team that defeated Longford last weekend. Out go Cathal Ryan, John O Loughlin, Ross Munnelly and Michael John Tierney from last weeks starting side. Joe Higgins has recovered from injury to reclaim his regular corner back position and Padraig Clancy returns from suspension to oust John O Loughlin from midfield.

Up front the misfiring Ross Munnelly and Michael John Tierney are replaced by the returning Billy Sheehan and Colm Kelly of St Josephs. Mark Timmons has returned from injury also, but is held in reserve as captain Darren Rooney again mans the full back position.

Laois team v Down

1. Michael Nolan (Portlaoise)
2. Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
3. Darren Rooney (Clonaslee St Manman's)
4. Joe Higgins (St Joseph's)
5. Peter O'Leary (O'Dempsey's)
6. Tom Kelly (St Joseph's)
7. Padraig McMahon (Ballyroan Abbey)
8. Padraig Clancy (Timahoe)
9. Brendan Quigley (Timahoe)
10. Barry Brennan (Graiguecullen)
11. Brian McCormack (Portlaoise)
12. Billy Sheehan (Emo)
13. Colm Parkinson (Portlaoise)
14. Colm Kelly (St Joseph's)
15. Donal Kingston (Barrowhouse)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

western exile

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 24, 2008, 10:23:44 PM
Sent from PRO tonight

Down team v Laois
1. Brendan McVeigh (An Ríocht),
2. Luke Howard (Ath Bhriain),
3. Martin Cole (Caisleán Ruairi),
4. Kevin mc guigan (Seamrogai An Iuir),
5. Aidan Carr (Cluain Daimh),
6. Colm murney (caislean ruairi)
7. Paul Murphy (Baile Cholmain),
8. Dan Gordon (Captain) (Loch An Oilean),
9. Ambrose Rodgers (An Cloch Fhada),
10. Kevin McKernan (Boireann),
11. Brendan Coulter (Droichead Mhaigh Eo),
12. Danny Hughes (Sabhall),
13. John Clarke (An Ríocht),
14. Ronan Murtagh (Baile Cholmain),
15. John Fegan (Cluain Daimh)

Don't think Ross is fooling anyone anymore with that forward formation  ;)  Numbers on shirts are meaningless  ;D

Although Kevin McGuigan played well in Tullamore at half back, I am not sure if he is the man to play corner back to mark Colm Parkinson. Unless he will pick up Kingston (who I hear is tall for a teenager) with either Cole or Howard picking up Parkinson.
At the other end Higgins is a timely return for Laois and he and Rooney will be trying to shackle Coulter and Clarke.
The third intriguing battle will be at midfield where Gordan and Rodgers will have their toughest test yet against the Timahoe Two, Clancy and Quigley.  If they can continue their championship form so far this year, the Down pair should come out on top.

I am looking forward to this game....

Yes I Would

Surprised to see Tierney & Munnelly dropped. Is there a problem with injuries or form, or is Kearns pulling a bit of a bluff.?
They were two players i always thought who knew were the posts were, which can be hard to find

Down Gael

I think 2 of the side named wont start.
Howard is more than capable of marking Parkinson, but the rest of the defence needs to tighten up a lot.
Depending on who starts on the middle of the field we should shade it.  Overall I think we will just do enough to win this game, but it will be tight. I have a feeling that we are going to get Kerry in the next round, a game that Kerry will win comfortably.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Down Gael on July 24, 2008, 11:56:44 PM
I think 2 of the side named wont start.
Howard is more than capable of marking Parkinson, but the rest of the defence needs to tighten up a lot.
Depending on who starts on the middle of the field we should shade it.  Overall I think we will just do enough to win this game, but it will be tight. I have a feeling that we are going to get Kerry in the next round, a game that Kerry will win comfortably.

Who do you think won't start and who do you think will start in their place?

Down Gael

Ronan Sexton should start in place of John Fegan and I dont think Ambrose will start. I hope I am wrong on that one though. We could also do with a left footed free taker.

Uladh

Thats a stronger looking Laois team than i expected.

should be a good game

D4S

Quote from: Down Gael on July 25, 2008, 11:55:37 AM
Ronan Sexton should start in place of John Fegan and I dont think Ambrose will start. I hope I am wrong on that one though. We could also do with a left footed free taker.

Ambrose will definitely start he trained last night and he will be starting.   You don't hold out much hope for a win against Kerry..I'd wait and judge after we play this week but undoubtedly it would be a huge task! Only a 1in4 chance of drawing them though, if we can get by Laois with a good performance there would be no reason to fear Mayo, Wexford or the losers of sundays game.  They would only have six days to recover from a crushing defeat.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

western exile

A Laois friend of mine recommends O'Loughlans pub in town as the best GAA pub in Port Laoise.
Also, (I am told) the owner is a selector of the Laois team and his son is on the bench tomorrow night having played at midfield in an earlier round.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Yes I Would on July 24, 2008, 11:16:35 PM
Surprised to see Tierney & Munnelly dropped. Is there a problem with injuries or form, or is Kearns pulling a bit of a bluff.?
They were two players i always thought who knew were the posts were, which can be hard to find

Munnelly has been shite now for a number of seasons,Its about time he was dropped in my opinion,He is too much into the limelight and the media
Tierney on the other hand has been struggling for form and has niggling injuries that won't go away
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: D4S on July 25, 2008, 02:16:30 PM
Quote from: Down Gael on July 25, 2008, 11:55:37 AM

Ambrose will definitely start he trained last night and he will be starting.   You don't hold out much hope for a win against Kerry..I'd wait and judge after we play this week but undoubtedly it would be a huge task! Only a 1in4 chance of drawing them though, if we can get by Laois with a good performance there would be no reason to fear Mayo, Wexford or the losers of sundays game.  They would only have six days to recover from a crushing defeat.

Murney will definatley play in the full back line and will pick up their big fella with Aiden Carr going to Cetre half back - he had a great game from there last saturday night. McGuigan will probably pick up Parkinson though who will probably play a roving role.

bridgegael

with tomorrow being Dublin Airports busiest day of the year,  do any of you think it'll affect the travel time from newry to portlaoise tomorrow??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: bridgegael on July 25, 2008, 09:41:34 PM
with tomorrow being Dublin Airports busiest day of the year,  do any of you think it'll affect the travel time from newry to portlaoise tomorrow??

Sure don't go near the airport...
When coming into Dublin take the Ashbourne exit,
Then go Ashbourne>Rathoath>Dunboyne>Lucan>Naas Road and N7 all way to Portlaoise
But in saying that if you decide to go onto m50 you will be heading Southbound where as all the traffic to the airport will be heading Northbound so it shouldn't really affect you
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Just watching "The Road to Croker" here. I'd say the Mourne men will be hoping Ross is better at the tactics these days than he is at the frees!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead