Mayo v Monaghan/Tyrone/Down or Kildare Qualifer Round 3 Thread

Started by Barney, July 15, 2008, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Might as well move away from the Connacht Final thread.

As Kevin McStay said on Newstalk last night this talk of not being up for the Qualifiers is nonsense. To paraphrase him - have we won several All Irelands that we do not know about? Come Wednesday or Thursday the lads should stop feeling sorry for themselves and dust themselves down and get on with the next game. If they are as near to Galway as Sunday showed then why not give it a lash? To do otherwise is to disrespect the Mayo jersey.

So lads dust ourselves down because this Summer ain't over yet. Stick with the lads, constructive criticism only and sure we may be playing the Tribesmen again in a few weeks.

Our record isn't as bad as we make out in the Qualifiers:

2001 - Round 3 lost to Westmeath

2002 - Lost first round in Connacht and won all three qualifiers. Beaten by Cork in Quarter-Finals.

2003 - Round 3 lost to Fermanagh.

2005 - beat Cavan in Round 3, beaten by Kerry in Qualifier.

2007 - beat Cavan but lost to Derry.

So it is P8 W5 L3. 2 out of 5 times we have reached the Quarters throught the qualifiers.

I think wide-scale changes to the team is not the way to go, just tinkering. We have made out 2008 bed and we may as well sleep in it and see where we land.

IolarCoisCuain

There are many reasons to beat Conor with a stick but his crack about not being interested in the qualifiers isn't one of them. How would people have reacted if he said that he wasn't too bothered about the Connacht Final, sure there's always the qualifiers before the game on Sunday? He'd have been lynched. This is just lazy stuff to pick on him for that.

If you want to pick on him, maybe his philosophies on teamwork, glory-hunting selfishness and general attitude would be more appropriate targets.

I salute Barney for his work on the qualifier statistics. But of course, once we have gathered the data, its interpretation is always going to be subjective. Here's another way of looking at those eight games.

In the qualifiers, Mayo have beaten Roscommon, Limerick, Tipperary and Cavan twice. They have lost to Westmeath, Fermanagh and Derry. Make of that what you will.

ildanach

i think a lot depends on who we get in the qualifers. There are some very good teams left but on a plus side by the time they play us they will be on their 3rd game in as many weeks. Defeat in the connacht final has acutally taught us more than a 1 point victory would have done. In truth this was our first championship game as from the win over sligo we learned nothing. I feel it will be horses for courses and depending on who we draw will dictate or line up. lets hope the club championship games come off smoothly and we dont pick up any injuries. This would be a real blow.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

rosnarun

is this the thread where we can wash all our dirty linen?.
when will mayo re-nter the championship probably about a month no more than last year it couls be a very long summer with out acheiving bugger all. apart from being a shop window  for young hanley.
On the closed panel could really hurt mayo now with both howley and barry moran unavailable we were down to a panel of 27 and now trevor out it only 26 are we really giving ourselves a fair chance?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

galwayman

Could Galway and Mayo play each other in the AI quarter final? Or are teams who played each other in the provincial final kept apart?

rosnarun

ASAIK they can meet again in the Quater finals wheen the qualifiers winners play provincial champions
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

kevmy

Will Howley not be back for this game? He has 3 weeks and to be honest he's badly needed. Also on the other thread people are simultaneously giving out about Heaney not marking tight enough on Joyce (true) and putting him in the FB line. Thats ludicrous. In my opinion Heaney can't mark well and putting him in FB could be a disaster. Either he plays wing back the next day or he's of the team in my eyes.

Hope Trevor is also fit the next day but I wouldn't be overly hopeful.

I think having a go at Conor is a bit OTT. He usually plays well, his vision has improved and I don't recall any occasion the last day where he took the ball into cul de sacs due to selfishness. Bottom line a lot of people don't like Conor. He could score 3-2 in an AI final and the next league game people would be roaring for him to be taken of. Some eejit behind me the last day spent half of the game abusing Conor (a Mayoman) and began shouting for him to be taken off after 10 mins. Thing is Mort never hides and tries things for f**king too long Mayo forwards have played pass the ball and taken no responsibility when it comes to shooting, now that we have a player that does take responsibility he gets abused. No wonder Mac fecked off for a couple of years when eejits like this give abuse to class players trying their best for Mayo

Lar Naparka

QuoteThere are many reasons to beat Conor with a stick but his crack about not being interested in the qualifiers isn't one of them. How would people have reacted if he said that he wasn't too bothered about the Connacht Final, sure there's always the qualifiers before the game on Sunday? He'd have been lynched. This is just lazy stuff to pick on him for that.

Of course you're right. You'd have to put his remark along with his reaction after the win over Dublin in 2006. Back then he said something along the lines of there being no big deal about beating Dublin. It was the next game he was interested in.
In other words he wasn't happy to settle for anything other than ultimate success.
Going into Sunday's game he wasn't interested in coming in second best and why should he be either?
Now that winning Connacht is no longer an option, I'm sure he will be concentrating 100% on the next game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: kevmy on July 15, 2008, 10:59:33 AM

Bottom line a lot of people don't like Conor. He could score 3-2 in an AI final and the next league game people would be roaring for him to be taken of.

Kevmy, a stór, if Conor scores 3-2 in an All-Ireland Final chances are Mayo will win it. Do you really think anyone will give a toss what happens at the next league game after that happy dawn?  ;D

For what it's worth, I believe Conor has scored one point from play in the two All-Ireland Finals he's been in, that in 2004. Exactly as many points from play as the entire Mayo team scored from play in 2006. What a bad, bad day that was.

Here's an interesting one while we're marking time - which was the worst final defeat of the four, 1996, 1997, 2004 or 2006?

kevmy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 15, 2008, 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: kevmy on July 15, 2008, 10:59:33 AM

Bottom line a lot of people don't like Conor. He could score 3-2 in an AI final and the next league game people would be roaring for him to be taken of.

Kevmy, a stór, if Conor scores 3-2 in an All-Ireland Final chances are Mayo will win it. Do you really think anyone will give a toss what happens at the next league game after that happy dawn?  ;D

For what it's worth, I believe Conor has scored one point from play in the two All-Ireland Finals he's been in, that in 2004. Exactly as many points from play as the entire Mayo team scored from play in 2006. What a bad, bad day that was.

Here's an interesting one while we're marking time - which was the worst final defeat of the four, 1996, 1997, 2004 or 2006?

I know and I don't expect him to. I'm only saying that if Mort is out or not playing well we usually don't win. I'd hate to say a Mayo side without him despite all his limitations.

As for which was the worst. Both 04 and 06 were more embarrassing but I reckon we had little chance of winning either. We could have performed way better without a doubt but looking back it's unlikely we would have won. 96 was really the one that got away all our players were fit and going well and we had a 6 point lead twice. Also I reckon that Meath team were the weakest opposition we faced in all 4 finals

orangeman

Mayo could and possibly should have won Sunday's final - their poor first 30 minutes is where they lost it and John Maughan made the necessary changes that could have won the game for them.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2008, 11:02:58 AM
Of course you're right. You'd have to put his remark along with his reaction after the win over Dublin in 2006. Back then he said something along the lines of there being no big deal about beating Dublin. It was the next game he was interested in.

I think the comments that were remembered then were that Dublin got their "comuppence"
I think thats the comment that got the reaction, unwise and disrespectful to make comments like that about ANY county and always likely to come back and bite you in the future.
Ask me holy bollix

Rossfan

Quote from: orangeman on July 15, 2008, 12:36:27 PM
Mayo could and possibly should have won Sunday's final - their poor first 30 minutes is where they lost it and John Maughan made the necessary changes that could have won the game for them.

:o :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2008, 01:41:02 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 15, 2008, 12:36:27 PM

:o :o

Well its true Rossfan nobody can question the Messiah so might as well blame maughan ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 01:22:49 PM

I think the comments that were remembered then were that Dublin got their "comuppence"
I think thats the comment that got the reaction, unwise and disrespectful to make comments like that about ANY county and always likely to come back and bite you in the future.

You're dead right of course Your Holiness. Making disrespectful comments about ANY county will always come back to bite you.

Which is why I'm taking such joy in popping in the dentures before quoting yourself on the Chokers thread, posted only yesterday:

I find it amazing when people repeatedly call the modern Dublin team chokers. With possibly the exeption of Mayo two years ago, every time the Dubs were knocked out of the championship recently, it was to a side superior to them at the time.

It'll be interesting to see the evidence for that one Boss. How quickly they forget. Mr Kettle, my friend, Mr Pot.  ::)