Mayo v Monaghan/Tyrone/Down or Kildare Qualifer Round 3 Thread

Started by Barney, July 15, 2008, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 15, 2008, 01:48:07 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 01:22:49 PM
You're dead right of course Your Holiness. Making disrespectful comments about ANY county will always come back to bite you.

Which is why I'm taking such joy in popping in the dentures before quoting yourself on the Chokers thread, posted only yesterday:

I find it amazing when people repeatedly call the modern Dublin team chokers. With possibly the exeption of Mayo two years ago, every time the Dubs were knocked out of the championship recently, it was to a side superior to them at the time.

It'll be interesting to see the evidence for that one Boss. How quickly they forget. Mr Kettle, my friend, Mr Pot.  ::)

Nothing to do with pot and kettle, merely that is my opinion that the Dublin team at that time were superior to the Mayo team at the time, and in fact Dublin choked on that particular day. There is no "evidence" as its the sort of thing thats impossible to prove, just a personal view.

We are talking about intercounty players being disrespectful to other teams here. You can hardly compare that to an anonymous poster on a gaaboard forum expressing a view that his county are better than another?  ???
Ask me holy bollix

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 15, 2008, 01:48:07 PM
You're dead right of course Your Holiness. Making disrespectful comments about ANY county will always come back to bite you.

Which is why I'm taking such joy in popping in the dentures before quoting yourself on the Chokers thread, posted only yesterday:

I find it amazing when people repeatedly call the modern Dublin team chokers. With possibly the exeption of Mayo two years ago, every time the Dubs were knocked out of the championship recently, it was to a side superior to them at the time.

It'll be interesting to see the evidence for that one Boss. How quickly they forget. Mr Kettle, my friend, Mr Pot.  ::)

Nothing to do with pot and kettle, merely that is my opinion that the Dublin team at that time were superior to the Mayo team at the time, and in fact Dublin choked on that particular day. There is no "evidence" as its the sort of thing thats impossible to prove, just a personal view.

We are talking about intercounty players being disrespectful to other teams here. You can hardly compare that to an anonymous poster on a gaaboard forum expressing a view that his county are better than another?  ???

I just did compare it, yes. And I stand over it.

I'm surprised you're so sensitive about it. Surely this sort of verbal rep-ar-tee is what you Dubbalin men live for?  ;D

his holiness nb

Not sensitive about it at all to be honest  ???
Just saying there is a big difference between an intercounty player stating on national television that another team got their "commuppence" and an anonymous fan on a website saying he thought his county was better than another county.

Incidentally, I said I thought Dublin were better than Mayo at the time, I would not have a problem with Mortimer saying he thought the better team won.

I never said another county "got their comuppence" after a Dublin win. That would be disrespectful  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 02:25:06 PM

I never said another county "got their comuppence" after a Dublin win. That would be disrespectful  ;)

You'd better say it quick so - you might not get the chance again for a while.  ;) That Matty - he's a dinger!

his holiness nb

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 15, 2008, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 02:25:06 PM

You'd better say it quick so - you might not get the chance again for a while.  ;) That Matty - he's a dinger!

Indeed and he is, but thats for another thread.
Ask me holy bollix

Lar Naparka

I think the comments that were remembered then were that Dublin got their "comuppence"
I think thats the comment that got the reaction, unwise and disrespectful to make comments like that about ANY county and always likely to come back and bite you in the future.

That was part , but only part, of what he said alright.
But his remarks were passed in the aftermath of the game and were not premeditaed or calculated in any way. but were,
According to Mayo players some of their opponents were teasing and taunting them when the Dubs drew well ahead. Madser Vaughan in particular went to extremes at this, or so it is claimed. Being told by that gent, "Six points down and nowhere to hide," followed by a two finger salute is not calculated to get a positive response from whoever is on the receiving end. You could also throw in the non-stop abuse from The Hill, the assault by Whelan on McGarrity and the shoulder charge from behind by Caffrey on John Morrison and you just might see some justification for Mortimer being a wee bit ungracious.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MayoMan

Will we give John Maughan one more shot.......   ;D

his holiness nb

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2008, 04:42:59 PM
That was part , but only part, of what he said alright.
But his remarks were passed in the aftermath of the game and were not premeditaed or calculated in any way.  

Thats true, and to be honest, I didnt put much pass on it, but remember a few others being none too impressed.

According to Mayo players some of their opponents were teasing and taunting them when the Dubs drew well ahead. Madser Vaughan in particular went to extremes at this, or so it is claimed. Being told by that gent, "Six points down and nowhere to hide," followed by a two finger salute is not calculated to get a positive response from whoever is on the receiving end

First I've heard of these allegations to be honest. Any sources for these claims?
I'm not saying it didnt happen, just dont remember any reports of this at the time, generally when the Dubs indulge in this sort of behaviour its widely reported at the time.

You could also throw in the non-stop abuse from The Hill, the assault by Whelan on McGarrity and the shoulder charge from behind by Caffrey on John Morrison and you just might see some justification for Mortimer being a wee bit ungracious.

Look. I'm not getting into old arguments about these issues, I condemned them at the time, althought I think "assault" is being a bit harsh, a very bad tackle yes, but calling it "assault" is petty imo.

Lets call a spade a spade, Mortimer shouldnt have been silly enough to say what he did, no matter what excuses are made for it.

But we are getting way off topic, lets not get sucked into another row about Dublin on a Mayo thread.
Whats you opinions on how the rest of the year will go for Mayo?

I predict they will reappear at the 1/4 final stage then after that, who knows.
Ask me holy bollix

Rossfan

Quote from: MayoMan on July 15, 2008, 04:58:47 PM

Ahh Jasus no need to shoot the hoor - just shout at him and he'll go away  ::) ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2008, 05:25:06 PM

Ahh Jasus no need to shoot the hoor - just shout at him and he'll go away  ::) ;D

God forgive you Rossfan!  ;D  ;D  ;D

MayoMan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2008, 05:25:06 PM

His legs are still moving..... Give Nally a shout   :D

stephenite

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 15, 2008, 11:41:54 AM
Here's an interesting one while we're marking time - which was the worst final defeat of the four, 1996, 1997, 2004 or 2006?

1996 was the only one that we should have won, deserved to win and threw away. The rest we were pretty much spectators at along with everyone else whilst various men from the kingdon toyed with us - so 1996 was by far the worst, for me.

Bod Mor

Someone on another thread said we can't draw Kerry in the qualifiers. is this true? I thought it was an open draw?

I expect the following four to join the four beaten provincial finalists for round 3 of the qualifiers:

Derry, Tyrone, Donegal, Meath.

Well done Barney on injecting a bit of optimism, we need to look ahead to the next match and stand as a unit. Forget about the McD sh!t, O'Mahony is the manager. He will pick the team the next day, he has won 2 All Ireland's previously and there isn't a manager in Mayo that can say that.

All this nonsense about saying we don't have a good enough squad to win the All-Ireland. Bullsh!t, if we get into the 1/4 finals anyone can win it. We still have a number of players who reached the final twice recently. It's all about playing as a team.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteSomeone on another thread said we can't draw Kerry in the qualifiers. is this true? I thought it was an open draw?

Round 3 of the qualifiers will be the 4 winners from round 2 against the 4 losing proivincial finalists so Mayo couldn't play Kerry.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Barney

QuoteWell done Barney on injecting a bit of optimism, we need to look ahead to the next match and stand as a unit.

Positivity might be pushing Bod.

I think our past losses have put is in a position where every championship defeat is dealt with on a catastrophic level. Patience is needed. We all have our opinions as to what would be a better team. I think move forward. Enjoy the Summer and see what we can do. Mayo supporters need to stand behind the team. If we don't why do we expect the players to grasp the chance that is there. Remember after next weekend all bar 4 teams will have lost a championship match. we are in the last 12 and can go a little bit further yet,