Fermanagh are bad for the game?

Started by ONeill, July 04, 2008, 12:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I know the romantic in us would love to see the dreariest county in Ireland lift the Anglo-Celt, but one cannot help but worry about what a victory for the Erne lads says about Ulster football and perhaps the game in general. Anyone who has watched their games this year will testify to the fact that they employ rugby league tactics in its entirety - almost every player behind the ball, working it forward slowly and methodically into a scoring position.

I wouldn't be a deadly Armagh fan but I think a victory for the Orchard would be better for the sake of the game/association and for youngsters learning the game today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rav67

I hope they get bate too but just because I'd rather come up against them again in the qualifiers (if Derry win the first 2 rounds) than Armagh!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

jimbob123

fermanagh = anti football tactics!

they play more chess than they do football wif all this getn men bak! hw about they eithr play with confidence in their 6 baks and 1 midfielder to stop attacks or else clear off out of the road where evryone who has watched them outisde of fermanagh wants them to go! for the sake of football everyone should support armagh in the ulster final to get rid of the waste of space that is FERMANAGH  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

screenexile

In a way I see Oneills point. 4 years ago in Euro 2004 (sorry to use a 'saccer' analogy but it works in this case), people were lording the Greeks as a breath of fresh air and good to see a new team on the block yet after they won they were lambasted as being anti football and ultra cynical. IMO they won so fair fucks to them!

Its up to other teams to get their house in order and let Fermanagh do what they do if that works for them. They aren't breaking any laws as such so its about other teams showing their quality and ability in breaking down Fermanagh.

They are an awful team to play against and their style works for them but I think they have been somewhat fortunate with how they have gotten to the final. Against Monaghan they were a somewhat unknown quantity and Monaghan had no way to deal with their system of play. Against Derry our management knew what they were going to do yet they didn't have a f**king clue how to deal with it. Against Armagh they will be up against a more shrewd management outfit and will have lost that element of surprise which is why I think they will stuggle. Good luck to them though I won't slag them for what they're doing!

ONeill

Not slagging them either Screen and your point is excellently presented. The housewife in us all wants their fans to taste success.

What's the problem Ziggy? Am I not allowed to offer an opinion on Fermanagh or should I just use one-lined chat-up posts to female posters?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

O'Neill point is valid.  Fermanagh play siege football, a bit like Liverpool in soccer, they lay back, soak up the pressure and use their pace on the break.  They have evolved the game a new way, and this is not necessarily a good thing.  But they have to play to their strengths(or limitations).  The thing is it seems to be a Malachy O'Rourke thing.  When he managed The Loup he played the exact same way.  He had about 4 players to the midfield and another back into the half back back line leaving 3 very fast skillful forwards to run around with 1 and at the most 2 breakingfrom the middle to help.  They strangled space and prevented teams from playing.  they did it against us in the Ulster Championship and it was the worst game to watch, very low scoring and played through frees.

AZOffaly

The irony of a Tyrone man complaining about someone elses negative brand of football is not lost on me.

small white mayoman

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2008, 12:59:55 AM
I know the romantic in us would love to see the dreariest county in Ireland lift the Anglo-Celt, but one cannot help but worry about what a victory for the Erne lads says about Ulster football and perhaps the game in general. Anyone who has watched their games this year will testify to the fact that they employ rugby league tactics in its entirety - almost every player behind the ball, working it forward slowly and methodically into a scoring position.

I wouldn't be a deadly Armagh fan but I think a victory for the Orchard would be better for the sake of the game/association and for youngsters learning the game today.

Is this not the way tyrone played ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Billys Boots

QuoteThe irony of a Tyrone man complaining about someone elses negative brand of football is not lost on me.

I thought I'd woken up in a parallel universe too - people hoping Armagh won, for the sake of the game.  Jeebus.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stephenite

Bogball XV

Finally someone willing to comment on the emperor's new regalia, I thought I was hearing things the other night on The Sunday Game when I heard (I think Maughan) talk about Fermanagh being a 'breath of fresh air' and playing with a 'gay abandon' (maybe it was on thon TV3 show), but anyway, as Screen said, we'll let them off this one year, but I really don't like their style at all.