Fermanagh are bad for the game?

Started by ONeill, July 04, 2008, 12:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the green man

Quote from: Uladh on July 04, 2008, 10:59:57 PM
Not denying that at all GM, but that's not the purpose of the thread

I would disagree. I think my point has everything to do with the purpose of this thread. Its all about opinions, which as we all know are never wrong. O'Neill has stated that Fermanagh are bad for the games. Why can I not state what I said. I'm sure a lot of Fermanagh posters would say the same as a retort

jodyb

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2008, 11:00:30 PM
Fermanagh have taken the 'god awful' to extreme levels and there's talk of using dvds of their matches as punishment for naughty pupils from September.
I sat cringin' in croker when yes 'Ole'd' them from the 40th minute ad nauseum as yes effortlessy stifled them and then scored (albeit copiously), on the break every time.
Yeah, yes broke them early on and were able to revert to tyrone's more familiar (pre 03) attackin approach. but to criticise them learning from that humiliation is a bit rich.
Just to clarify, I wasn't cringing necessarily because yes were winning, but your 'Ole' ing for about 25 minutes was cringeworthy in the extreme

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

the green man

Quote from: jodyb on July 04, 2008, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2008, 11:14:09 PM
Roger Relevant.
ok ??? ::)

jodyb, Do you not understand this forum? Criticise all you like, but not Tyrone, for if you do, the whole lot will come down on you (see the Mugsy debate).

Tyrone are above all sorts of criticism. Unless you are from Tyrone, then alls fair.

thewobbler

I agree with O'Neill's initials and have to say, from Uladh:

I am delighted to see fermanagh coming strong in ulster

i wouldn't begrudge them an ulster title at armagh's expense if it came to pass

fermanagh are in the ulster final on merit

however, and this is irrelevant to players and management, their style of football is god awful to watch

please please spare us the poor mouthing. there will be enough of that in the media.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Fermanagh and Armagh has no signs of being a classic, but it will be an interesting Ulster Final in that it will be a case of the big smart bully versus the wee smart bully.

sligeach

All I want to say is, Fermanagh people, ignore the bs been sprouted here.

If you play the game within the rules and are winning then fair play to you. Its not meant to look pretty, its a game of football and if poor Tyrone, Derry or anyone else can't deal with it then thats their problem.

I only wish Sligo played half as good as Fermanagh this year.

I'll be shouting for ye! (from a bar in Seoul, Korea) :)

reddgnhand

Quote from: the green man on July 04, 2008, 10:58:27 PM
Quote from: Uladh on July 04, 2008, 10:51:55 PM
.. their style of football is god awful to watch

All in the eye of the beholder. Armagh, and Tyrone to a lesser extent, have been god awful to watch, this last few years.

As a matter of interest what games did you enjoy watching the last few years?

haranguerer

Bad for the game? O Neill, that judge may have been right after all with his comment about Tyrone people, if you're representative. How could a team playing 'the game' be bad for 'the game'? 'The game' isnt a static entity, 'the game' is what happens every sunday, and evolves and changes over time. 'The game' being made illegal, would be bad for 'the game'. 'The game' not evolving would be bad for 'the game'. Society losing interest in 'the game' would be bad for 'the game'.

Theres no such thing as puke football, or football thats good for 'the game' or football thats bad for 'the game', it all is; 'the game'.

And as for the fermanagh folk? It seems strange to give out about being seen as plucky wee fermanagh, and then making sure to include all the reasons for said attitude, presumably to pluck at the heartstrings.

I see Brollys quote about being an awful team to watch, and awful to play against is being regurgitated. I know that this year when I've been watching fermanagh I've found the games great to watch. I couldnt care what neutrals think. I've never went to a game hoping fermanagh play well, I go hoping they'll win. And as for awful team to play against? Take Kerry, for eg. Would they be a good team to play against, or an awful team to play against? I suspect the latter. The statement sounds good, but doesnt actually mean anything. Pity so many just latch on to meaningless soundbytes.

If fermanagh had not being prominent in the championship for the last number of years, there would be no mention of anything negative about them. In 04, Fermanagh werent playing with gay abandon, they were playing quite similarly to how they are now. Because that was their first big outing, it was sacrilegous to slate them. Now its different. That this thread was started is a surer sign than any yet that perhaps Fermanagh have finally arrived.

I knew we'd beat Monaghan, I was sure of a tight game against Derry, but not the result, but I'm confident of landing the 'Celt now. I've been really impressed by Armagh, I think they have the potential to be better than any Armagh team over the last decade, but I think the occasion will drive Fermanagh on. Do or die - 'next year' for the 1982 team never came, could well be the same for this one.

Hardy

Haranguerer, you've saved me ten minutes of my life writing something very similar. I second your post.

mannix

Fermanagh are only bad for the game when they knock out the supposed powers in ulster, this would be the view of the powers.
Good luck fermanagh, lots of people love to see you do well.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: stephenite on July 04, 2008, 11:00:52 AM
The 'swarm' tactic was never more obvious than in that All Ireland semi final against Kerry - puke football at it's best, but I was always prepared to give Tyrone credit for doing whatever it took to win.

Shame some of those Tyrone fans who were so indignant at the label that was put on them that year are do quick to decry others for trying whatever it takes to win.

I only read the 1st 2 pages so if I missed anything thats why but wanted to respond to the above comment.

I love the way some people in the south point back 5 years to a couple of poor games Tyrone were involved in the latter stages of their 1st All Ireland win to say they were poor to watch. They always bring up that 03 semi with Kerry but never mention the 05 final which was one of the best of modern times. Compare the 05 final to the 2 that Mayo were in and you'll see who was the team that spoiled gaelic footballs greatest day of the year. No one and I homestly believe this decade have been involved in better games this decade than Tyrone. Some that stand out include:
v Armagh 2002 1st round
v Down 2003 ulster final
v Galway 2004 x 2 in the league semi
v Mayo 2004 All Ieland quarter final
v Dublin 2005 x 2 all ireland quarter final
v Armagh 2005 semi final
v Kerry 2005 final
v Louth 2006 qualifier
v Monaghan 2007 ulster final
v Down 2008 ulster 1st round replay

Id say none of the opposition supporters would argue that these werent at least very good games. Other matches we won in 03 and 05 were spoiled because they were 2 one sided with Tyrone in numerous games putting up over 20 scores. Im sick of people being taken in by Spillanes spin.

Bulwinkle

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2008, 11:00:30 PM
Fermanagh have taken the 'god awful' to extreme levels and there's talk of using dvds of their matches as punishment for naughty pupils from September.

God you are one wee immature gobshit e. Brave little man posting on here.

I hope that your GCSE results go well for you.

screenexile

A couple of things I want to chime in about... Fermanagh of this year are a million miles away from Fermanagh of 2004. They were a group of players enjoying their football and playing a hungry off the cuff style of football. Nothing about this current Fermanagh team is 'off the cuff'. Every position, set piece, kickout, tactic is planned and rehearsed to the nth extreme so comparing it to the 2004 team is nonsene.

Second thing is this "awful to play against". SOmeone said something about 'surely Kerry are awful to play against'. Nonsense. Teams that develop a defensive syle are awful to play against. Most of the time Kerry are there to outscire you and anyone who doesn't enjoy playing that type of match needs there head seen to.

As I've said before I think the football Fermanagh play is awful. But why should that matter to them if they're winning? I wish we would play awful football and win so I don't hold it against them in the slightest.

As for them being bad for the game well this is nonsense. These things go in swings and roundabouts and there will be an attack minded team with the know how and ability to topple Fermanagh (Not Armagh another ultra defensive team) so to say they ar bad for the game is wrong. You will always get teams that play to their abilities that play a por stifling brand of football  but ultimately they do come a cropper against a team of better ability and decent tactical nous to counter the way they play. This is why Fermanagh will not win an All Ireland.

As for those Tyrone eejits on here so big whoop you've been involved in a couple of decent games. Given the brand of football you've played or the last 20 years 7/8 decent games being quoted doesn't make you fecking GAA messiah's!

Tyrone Dreamer

I was only defending Tyrone from the usual crap about their style of play. I dont believe Fermanagh are bad for football, if they were getting stuffed people would be complaining about the gulf of class between the top and bottom teams and how the games were uncompetitive. Basically gaa fans like to complain, they seem to want every match to be the perfect game or else its poor. Cant think of too many classics Derry have been involved in this past ten years so wouldnt go complaining about Tyrone.