Oxegen 08

Started by Whitehair, July 02, 2008, 01:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Black

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2008, 10:46:53 PM
Oxegen is the Holylands moved down the road a few miles wih a lineup of good bands thrown in. I'm too old for it now (E.P. all the way!), but was tempted to go down on the Sunday for RATM. I'm hoping they'll do a proper tour here (or the UK) instead sometime in the near future.

Jesus youre a misery guts

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2008, 11:40:36 PM
Quote from: stiffler on July 02, 2008, 11:25:25 PM
Theres a lot of people who attend oxegen in their mid to late 20s, its not full of 17/18 year olds away from home for the first time.
There are indeed many 'older' people who attend, but they're less likely to be the ones acting the clown (in my experience). I also know of many 'older' people who won't go because of what i'm saying.

Quote from: nic on July 02, 2008, 11:32:21 PM
Why do you need to bring that up again? Surely if they are acting the clown, who gives a fook what they are wearing? Because they are wearing GAA jerseys does that make them worse?
It matters only that by association, they give the average GAA fan a bad name. I don't like being lumped into what people refer to as 'redneck GAA fans', because of the action of such clowns. It's the outside perception that is relevant here - they're the people that will draw the line between acting the knob and wearing a GAA top.

I'm one of those 'older' fans! I'll have my mayo jersey on me on the sunday as well!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Maguire01

Quote from: Captain Black on July 03, 2008, 09:02:21 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2008, 10:46:53 PM
Oxegen is the Holylands moved down the road a few miles wih a lineup of good bands thrown in. I'm too old for it now (E.P. all the way!), but was tempted to go down on the Sunday for RATM. I'm hoping they'll do a proper tour here (or the UK) instead sometime in the near future.

Jesus youre a misery guts
Why so?

Maguire01

Quote from: AFS on July 06, 2008, 11:32:20 PM
Tickets are going on ebay for around £100 which I'm delighted about. All those assholes that bought 6/8 tickets when they first came out, thinking that they'd make a tidy profit on them, are having to take a 50% hit just to shift them. It would never have sold out this year given the very average line up if it wasn't for these profiteers.
The same thing happened with speculators buying tickets for The Police - ended up having to sell at a loss. It's great to see.

Re the line-up however, i think it's pretty strong and comparable to other years.

Mayo4Sam

I think theres a poor choice it terms of the headliners, would have loved to have had arcade fire but in terms of the 2-3-4 down the playlist excellent
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rolloutking

It all depends on your music tastes. I thought last years line up was sensational and would be hard to follow as last year was a deadly year for festivals and all the decent bands are now in studio or not touring. Looking at some of the headliners for other festivals (Jay Z), I think Oxegen has done fairly well to get Kings, The Verve, RATM and the Prodigy. Nothing demonstrates this more than T Vital having to be canceled because there were not enough decent acts to fill 3 days.

However one thing I cannot understand is putting The Verve and The Prodigy on at the same time. Totally gutted

I reckon the best line up this year is at V (Muse, Kings, Stereophonics, The Verve, The Prodigy) but nobody wants to go over to it so its oxegen for me

Weather isn't looking to promising.

Does anyone know where I could get them red flares you used to see on Hill 16 and a megaphone?

ExiledGael

As a former Oxegen 'security guard' (in the loosest possible meaning of the word) you've feck all chance of getting in with those items rolloutking so don't waste your time and money.

ExiledGael

Security risk assessment:
rolloutking - fire hazard, hardstation - possible sexual predator hazard.

Tommy Tibbs

Any of ya know if you can bring disposable bbq's into the campsite? Remember previous years u cudnt but hearing wee rumours that u might be able to this year....weather providing of course! No doubt it i'll pish all weekend....

Whitehair

QuoteAny of ya know if you can bring disposable bbq's into the campsite?

Aye according to the oxegen guide (below) pg 15, you can bring bbq's into the site but not the arena, pity you cant bring plastic bottles into the arena like last year though.

http://www.oxegen.ie/2008/OXEGEN_08_Guide.pdf

QuoteAs a former Oxegen 'security guard' (in the loosest possible meaning of the word) you've feck all chance of getting in with those items rolloutking so don't waste your time and money.

I was really surprised how minimal the search was last year. I'd a huge rucksake and with a crate of drink on the inside with clothes etc around it,security fella just patted the sides of the bag and waved me through, could have had, bottles, bbq's, flares etc...

The Wedger

Tickets are more freely available and going cheaper this year.
A sign of recession or just the average line up?

INDIANA

i think you'll find the weather is an issue after the mudbath last year. a lot of people will go for a day now rather than camp. I think the lineup on Saturday is good, but its crap on Sunday with the exception of a few artists. Headliners are poor and they have the prodigy and the chemical brothers on the O2 stage which I  find amazing. Most of the best artists are recording at the moment.

Maguire01

Quote from: The Wedger on July 09, 2008, 08:30:05 AM
Tickets are more freely available and going cheaper this year.
A sign of recession or just the average line up?

As much down to the number of alternative options as economic factors, i reckon.

billy the kid

Anyone looking for Good music great craic and most of all no trouble makers, fights or aggro get to GLASGOWBURY Its a festival in county Derry situated in the suitably named "EAGLES ROCK VALLEY" with amazing views and top class music

Got tickets there last week if your thinking of heading I would advise you to act Quickly as the tickets are selling like hash cakes at a student party.

This is a gem of a concert with some of the best up and coming bands you can get and this year ASH are headlining.  I head every year and the craic is always deadly. DUKE SPECIAL headlined last year and rocked the place.

Its set in the sperrins over looking a valley and you can see to lough Neagh from it. The view alone would nearly be worth going for.

Of all the festivals Ive been to this is the best for ambience and craic and with the nicest people. There is never any bother and everyone just has a class time and enjoys the music.

The best way I could describe it to you is that its like a smaller version of Oxegen or Electric Picnic.  Theres 4 stages, loads of bands, camping on friday and Saturday night, obviously toilets that are always clean unlike other concerts, stalls, jugglers, stilt walkers, fast food, healthy food, shops, a holistic zone, plenty of talent, some amazing music and as much beer as you can drink.

Check out the Website www.glasgowbury.com but move fast as the tks are moving faster than ever before.

Forgot to mention there is plenty of car parking space at the site and there were shuttle buses running from the car park at the community centre (about 1 1/2 miles away) when this filled up later on. 

If your looking a good camping spot you need to be early also as the vast majority camp and good spots are at a premium.

ROCK ER OUT!!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

The Gs Man

See the craic has started already!!

A coach heading to Oxegen caught fire on the M50.  40 people on it.  Yee-ha!!!!

"Fire Fire"

Keep 'er lit