Uilleann Pipes - Starting Out

Started by downgirl, June 30, 2008, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Need a bit of help, just bought a set of practice pipes and tried to pay them there, but there's no sound coming out, I assume that means the reeds aren't fitted?  Is this something I would be able to do myself or do I have to bring them to someone to get it done?? 

Captain Black

Post up a picture of yourself and you'll get plenty of help :P

ONeill

Quote from: downgirl on June 30, 2008, 02:50:49 PM
Need a bit of help, just bought a set of practice pipes and tried to pay them there, but there's no sound coming out, I assume that means the reeds aren't fitted?  Is this something I would be able to do myself or do I have to bring them to someone to get it done?? 

Have you looked to see if there are reeds in them?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

I'd love to help a lovely lady like yourself out. Unfortunately I haven't got musical fingers, so I'd be of no help to you.
Testing Accessibility

downgirl

yea i cant unscrew any of the sections i think im scared to pull to hard incase i break them! Don't know much about them either cus i got them off ebay but he sent a few reeds with them...where do i unscrew to look for the reeds ONeill?

The Gs Man

Are ye trying to blow into them or using your elbows?  :P

Only messing.  Sounds like you need to put reeds in.  He probably didn't fit the reeds in case they got broken during transport.  They're very delicate and easy broken.  They're also affected by cold/warm conditions so watch where you keep your pipes.

You'd maybe be safer getting someone who knows about pipes to have a look at them if you haven't fitted reeds before.  If not, you might sound out of tune when your trying to play them. 

Keep 'er lit

Captain Black

Quote from: ziggysego on June 30, 2008, 03:28:36 PM
I'd love to help a lovely lady like yourself out. Unfortunately I haven't got musical fingers, so I'd be of no help to you.

Ziggy the girls looking to learn the pipes, not clean yours ffs

ziggysego

Get your mind out of the gutter Captain Black.

downgirl, can I apologise on behalf of this fool?
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

How much did you get them for?

Have you got the ebay link?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

downgirl

em it was in dollars but think it worked out about £156...which i know is really cheap for the practice set but i have been playing the irish flute for a few years now and only got a good eamonn cotter one there about a year ago which cost quite a bit so i didnt really fancy forking out a load for a practice set which i will only need for a year or 2 (all being well!)  heres the link anyway...  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACKWOOD-IRISH-UILLEANN-PIPES-PRACTICE-SET-WITHBELLOW_W0QQitemZ280240502917QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280240502917&&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

downgirl

and for once i agree with ziggy, captain black you are the one that said about my picture or something, if you really want to see it u can check out my bebo!!

and ziggy i still havent forgiven you for suggesting it was me driving that lexus over the porsche and celica!!

The Gs Man

Oh, just another wee thing.  You do know the finger positions are slightly different between flute/pipes?
Keep 'er lit

downgirl

yea its different for the E and F# or something isnt it?  and the thumb hole as well do you take your thumb off just for the higher octave?  I should probably try and get a few lessons with someone actually even just to get me started off...  Gs man, I take it you have been playing for a long time then!  Did you look at the link I posted for the ones I bought?  How do they look to you?  To be honest you can tell they aren't made by a skilled craftsman, theres traces of glue over the bellows and all, but at the same time I suppose I can't complain for the price I got them for!  The thing I would be worried about with bringing them to someone to get the reeds fitted is if I bring it to someone who makes them he will be like oh well she didn't buy them off me type thing... :-\

Main Street

Are you not a member of a specific trad  instrument forum like
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/

downgirl

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2008, 04:14:07 PM
Are you not a member of a specific trad  instrument forum like
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/

no im not, thanks main street i will take a look now