Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

I can't pretend to be neutral but my prediction is Fermangh 1-11 Armagh 0-13

I don't want to jinx anything but I don't think we have anything to fear, Fermanagh are better and Armagh are worse than prevous years

The Real Laoislad

Would take a guess that there will be 31 counties shouting for Fermanagh..
I will be anyways
You'll Never Walk Alone.

southderryman

i'd like to see fermanagh win it, but i think armagh by 3/4 points.

fermanagh are used to sitting back and hitting teams by breaking out in numbers, i dont think armagh will allow them to do so (they will stop the runs by fair means or foul) and their defence will not allow nearly as much space as they were allowed against a very disjointed derry.

ONeill

Quote from: wanderer on June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM
Armagh are worse than prevous years

Nonsense. Armagh have been as impressive as I've seen them in the last 3-4 years. Despite the loss of Joe Kernan/McGeeney/McEntees/McConville, the new lads have knitted in well and some of their attacking moves were very un-Armagh like of previous years and attractive to the neutral eye. They haven't really been in any bother so far. Even Francie is venturing up a la Tony Adams in his twilight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

wanderer

I know what you are saying southderryman but the problem with Fernanagh when they get it right is that we have movement above and beyond anything else in Ulster. I honestly think in my heart of hearts that if you want to foul them, work away because we have free takers that will punish.
Before we depended on breaking ball to get parity in the middle third, but we now have McGrath and Murphy who can win clean ball individually, and McElroy (x2), Kelly & Little who will bust a gut to get their hands on a 50/50 ball.

I fully expect Armagh to be clear and overwhelming favourites but i will be quietly confident

southderryman

Quote from: wanderer on June 29, 2008, 11:33:13 PM

I know what you are saying southderryman but the problem with Fernanagh when they get it right is that we have movement above and beyond anything else in Ulster. I honestly think in my heart of hearts that if you want to foul them, work away because we have free takers that will punish.
Before we depended on breaking ball to get parity in the middle third, but we now have McGrath and Murphy who can win clean ball individually, and McElroy (x2), Kelly & Little who will bust a gut to get their hands on a 50/50 ball.

I fully expect Armagh to be clear and overwhelming favourites but i will be quietly confident

i mean stopping the runners from the half back line. you wont score too many frees from there! i agree the movement is good. i didn't see the monaghan game, but in the derry game our defence was wide open (i dont think fermanagh kicked a score from more than 35 metres??) an scores were handy enough to get, aramgh will sheild that area, and to beat them i think you need to able to take long range points.

dont get me wrong, i'd like to see fermangh win, but i dont thik they will.

wanderer

I know what you are saying southderryman, but in my opinion I think we have always troubled Armagh in the recent past and the tactics haven't changed that much (imo from Armagh's side).

The quote in the Derry game at 1/2 time on Setanata was Fermanagh would lose because Derry would score from 40 yrds and we couldn't! I have a chip on my shoulder about that kind off thing but scores aren't easy from 20/30/40 yrds and I could not care less if we beat Armagh by 2 points to 1.

As I say I'm quietly (sometimes not) confident but at this stage its all opinions

southderryman

Quote from: wanderer on June 29, 2008, 11:50:46 PM

I know what you are saying southderryman, but in my opinion I think we have always troubled Armagh in the recent past and the tactics haven't changed that much (imo from Armagh's side).

The quote in the Derry game at 1/2 time on Setanata was Fermanagh would lose because Derry would score from 40 yrds and we couldn't! I have a chip on my shoulder about that kind off thing but scores aren't easy from 20/30/40 yrds and I could not care less if we beat Armagh by 2 points to 1.

As I say I'm quietly (sometimes not) confident but at this stage its all opinions

i wasn't being disrespectful of fermanagh's shooting ability. my main point was that the bulk of fermanaghs scores came from 20/30 metres, a brave few of these were when men had time on the ball as our defence was badly exposed when our hlaf backs followed their men out the field.  i just think that armagh will cover the majority of the space inside their own 45 and its asking a hell of a lot (for any team even kerry) to win a game with long range scoring.

the high ball is an option but i think that wouls suit bellew. im not dismissing fermanagh's chances, i just think armagh will have too much for them. also fermanagh's midfield wont have it all their own way like they did for the majority of the game against derry.

balladmaker

QuoteI know what you are saying southderryman, but in my opinion I think we have always troubled Armagh in the recent past and the tactics haven't changed that much (imo from Armagh's side).

Yes, you are 100% correct, Armagh need not turn up, due to Fermanagh's running ability and great freetakers.  Just bring the Anglo Celt to Enniskillen tomorrow and hand it over.

Yeah right..... ;)

Gold

would love ferm to win, but my head says they wont
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

mhacadoir

31 counties will be supporting fermanagh, and rightly so. id love for them to win an ulster at some stage, just not at our expense.

it will be a difficult game for armagh. it will be harder to get the direct ball into the FF line with fermanghs style of defence. however, im still confident we will win, with a few to spare. after two wins by four points each, and knowing there is a lot to improve on, im confident.

ONeill

Big Clarke is a handful again, although I'd worry about your forward unit if he's neutralised. Also noticed McDonnell seems to turn inside now at every opportunity as if he has lost a wee bit of pace. Shouldn't have at 28/29? Maybe his marker wasn't so bad afterall.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armawman

Quote from Wanderer:

"I don't want to jinx anything but I don't think we have anything to fear, Fermanagh are better and Armagh are worse than prevous years".

Armagh have won six of the last nine Ulsters. They have played in six Ulster Finals since 1999 and won them all. Fermanagh, on the other hand, have never won Ulster and are appearing in their first Ulster Final since 1982. Yet, you dismiss Armagh by saying "I don't think we have anything to fear". I realise that its possible that Fermanagh can win this game, but I think you are  dismissing Armagh far too lightly.

stew

I am usually nervous the week before an Armagh match in the championship however this year so far has been a dawdle and since the cursed back door the Ulster has lost a lot of it's lustre.

Fermanagh caught us on the hop a few years ago at the business end of the championship and there are a brave few men on the Armagh team that were involved that day, I am sure that management and players alike will remind the younger lads on the squad what happened in croker that day and I expect Armagh to put fermanagh to bed by 5 or 6 points.

The craic will start in the post Ulster championship games, the nerves will be at me and the sooner we get bogged into southern teams the better.....................that is except for kerry, we can do without them for a while yet. ;)

if Fermanagh win their first Ulster Title they will certainly have deserved it having beaten Derry and Armagh, not a bad haul on your march to provincial perfection.  :-X
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Over the Bar

Armagh will win this at a canter.  True you can only beat what's put in front of you but what in May looked like a pretty tough route has turned out to be the easiest Ulster title of any of the last 10 years.

Might they get it too easy into the quarter tho and then not be properly prepared for the white heat of a croker show-down?