Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 30, 2008, 05:04:16 PM
I don't understand why so many people think that Fermanagh will be well beaten. They convincingly bet Monaghan, a team who many people on this board were blathering on about being potential Al contenders.
Ulster contenders maybe - AI contenders, no. (Unless one or two people got a bit carried away.)

Quote from: downgirl on June 30, 2008, 05:19:40 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on June 30, 2008, 10:37:18 AM
Thats what i thought, plus that Casment is a b**tard to get out off

how is it??!!! Clones is far worse to get out of, took me 3 hours to get home yesterday.  At least Casement is in Belfast so the roads in and out are pretty good.
It took me 30 minutes to get from Casement to the roundabout on Saturday for a match attended by a couple of men and a dog. I wouldn't imagine it would be that much better than Clones if it was full to capacity.

mylestheslasher

Armagh may have one of the best FF lines in the country but my point is that if you can't get ball to  them then they are no good to you - no need to try and be a smart arse, it doesn't suit you. Someone else wonders where Fermanaghs scores will come from, well judging by yesterday hardly any of them know how to tackle. The amount of fouls they commited was a joke and if the ref had to have been ticking players as per the rule book they would've had more than 1 sent off. So frees will be a major contributor to Fermanaghs scoreline I think.

Gold

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 30, 2008, 01:35:07 PM
QuoteComplacency will never be a factor again when playing Fermanagh after the debacle in 2004.

Was it true that either John or Tony McEntee was dropped in that game over an insult shouted about Stephen Kernan in a Cross game?   Apparently Joe overheard it and dropped him.  Anyone know if this was a fact?

yes, its true
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

armawman

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 30, 2008, 01:35:07 PM

"Was it true that either John or Tony McEntee was dropped in that game over an insult shouted about Stephen Kernan in a Cross game?   Apparently Joe overheard it and dropped him.  Anyone know if this was a fact?"

Of course its NOT TRUE. Tony McEntee played the entire game against Fermanagh and John didn't play any county football in the 2004 season because he was recovering from surgery. John hadn't played in any of the Ulster Championship games in 2004 because he was just after his surgery. So, to suggest he was "dropped" is nonsense. To suggest Tony was "dropped" is even greater nonsense seeing that he played the whole game against Fermanagh.

Orior

Apparently OWC are predicting that a british team will win.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Onion Bag

Anyone see the betting,

I want to get rid of the Favourites tag, i think Fermanagh should be favourites simply because of the teams they have beat, Monaghan who people all over the country had their eye on after last years exploits and Derry the reigning League champions, Armagh are will be going into the game under a new manager a lot of new players still learning the trade.i would imagine Fermanagh will be so hungry for this as this will be their first title ever, so they will not want to let this chance slip through their fingers,

Fermanagh by 2

Ard Mhaca Abu
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

Fermanagh are a fine footballing side with bags of pace.  The have plenty of good players and are strong enough around the middle sector to win their fair share of ball.  

I think Armagh have the edge in that their attack is stronger than what Fermanagh have faced yet and play more as a unit than individuals(ie Derry)

I think, though, what will have a massive bearing on this game is the fact that is a Final.  People sometimes underestimate how much pressure being in a final can put on players and how they react will determine how they play.  The majority of the Armagh players have played in AI Finals, if not all of them at senior club and county or at u-21.  They will know what to do and how to react, as will their manager as he has experience himself of being their.  Fermanagh cannot say that and I think in the heat of Clones it may be a telling factor.

Armagh will win by 4 points

bennydorano

Are ticketmaster selling tickets for this?

downgirl

I'd say ticketmaster are selling tickets for it as they were selling tickets for the Munster final...they were even offering a 2-for-1 deal on tickets for the Munster final...doubt they will do the same for Ulster though.

D4S

Courtesy of Mr Paddy Power

70 min Match Betting
4/9 Armagh 15/2 Fermanagh 9/4

To Lift The Cup
4/11 Armagh
15/8 Fermanagh

Armagh a shorter price than they were against Down which is strange considering Fermanagh have beaten Monaghan and Derry to get to the final which has been a tough route! Fermanagh are 9/4 to beat Armagh in 70mins and Down were 15/8.   I would have thought this game would be priced something like       8/13 Armagh  7/1  Fermanagh 7/4
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

naka

PatDaly

My Armagh Starting 15 for the Ulster Final

1. Hearty (better direction with his kick outs required)
2. Moriarty (impressive to date)
3. Francie (never lets the team down)
4. A Mallon (very consistent but unfortunately gave away a few unnecessary frees against Down)
5. C McKeever (quality defender)
6. AOR (quality defender)
7. Aaron (could be played in the half forward line and use B Donaghy in half back line)
8. McGrane (looked very tired in 2nd half against Down)
9. K Toner (has looked very impressive in the championship so far)
10. Charlie Vernon (as 3rd midfielder)
11. MOR (needs to curb the nasty side to his play but wins an amazing amount of break ball)
12. Brian Mallon (possibly replaced by Aaron Kernan in half forward line, an excellent contribution against Down)
13. Stevie Mc (would like to see him start scoring from play again but still a quality attacker)
14. R Clarke (nothing needs to be said)
15. Stephen Kernan (has emphatically silenced his critics in 2008)

Goats Do Shave

I'd like to see Hearty use aim a lot more of his kick outs at Charlie. I think he only utilised him once on Sunday - possibly our only clean catch?

D4S

Hello all! Just putting a message in here to get this thread back up to the top of the pile, im sick of seeing the armaghdown thread every time I login, takes me to a dark and sad place!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Skiddybadoo

These were the line-ups in 2004.  How many changes in personnel is each team likely see in their respective starting line-ups for the Ulster Final.  My reckoning says Armagh will probably have 7 new starters.  What about Fermanagh's?  Are the replacements of equal calibre?

SCORERS - Fermanagh: S Maguire 0-5 (3f), T Brewster 0-3 (1f), C Bradley 0-2 (1 45), E Maguire, J Sherry 0-1 each. Armagh: S McDonnell 0-7 (3f), D Marsden, P McKeever (f), K McGeeney, O McConville all 0-1 each.

FERMANAGH - N Tinney 8; N Bogue 9, B Owens 8, R McCluskey 7; R Johnson 7, S McDermott 8, P Sherry 7; M McGrath 8, L McBarron 7; E Maguire 7, J Sherry 6, M Little 9; C O'Reilly 5, S Maguire 7, C Bradley 7. Subs: T Brewster 8 for O'Reilly (23), H Brady 6 for McBarron (40), D McGrath 5 for J Sherry.

ARMAGH - P Hearty 8; E McNulty 5, F Bellew 8, A Mallon 7; K Hughes 6, K McGeeney 8, A O'Rourke 6; P Loughran 8, P McGrane 7; P McKeever 6, J Toal 5, T McEntee 7; S McDonnell 9, R Clarke 6, D Marsden 6. Subs: B Mallon 5 for Toal (30), A McCann 7 for B Mallon (ht), K McElvanna 6 for O'Rourke (53), O McConville 7 for McKeever (55), B Mallon for Clarke (60).

REF - John Bannon (Longford).