Offaly v Down 19/20 July

Started by Down Gael, June 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

Quote from: amallon on June 30, 2008, 11:40:52 AM
Is Ciaran McManus still playing with Offaly?

Yes he played in the defeat to Westmeath.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Pangurban on June 29, 2008, 11:01:43 PM
Best draw we could have hoped for, but, they still have to be beat

I'm quite surprised by this - genuine question, I'd appreciate it if WUM's left this one alone - would it be a general perception that a trip to Tullamore would be a handier match than a home game against Roscommon, Louth or Tipp? That's no dis-service meant to those other counties but I just would have considered them to be equally as bad as us.

downgirl

I did breathe a slight sigh of relief whilst stuck in traffic in Clones when I heard we are up against Offaly, simply because I think it will be possible for the lads to pick themselves up and get back to the way they were knowing they are playing Offaly than for example Derry due to them being a weaker team...well...here's hoping anyway...

as for McHugh...no time for him whatsoever.  He has turned into an Ulster version of Pat Spillane...he likes Donegal and Donegal only.

amallon

Lone Shark - I'd imagine Offaly would be stronger than Rosscommon and Tipp for sure and maybe Louth as well.  Down supporters who are being realistic will know that Offaly will be hard to beat but that Down have the footballers to do it.

Coming from a bookies perspective how would you price it?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Lone Shark

Probably about 4/9 Down, something like that - two to three point handicap in ye're favour I'd say. Depends on what I hear from the Offaly camp in the coming week - so far it's been horrendous.

I'm not trying to be naive about the state of Offaly football here, I know we're not far off an all time low, but I'm surprised at a county like Down who has had some dark days in the qualifiers themselves to be so blasé about playing us - and this thread is very much reflecting that opinion. Even your own comment - that Down will have to be careful but that they have the better footballers - is very much damning us with faint praise.

I'm not saying any of this is unwarranted, I'm just surprised that we're being taken for granted to this extent. Time will tell I suppose.

Minus15

Team i would like to see against Offaly

1. B McVeigh
2. L Howard
3. D McCartan
4. M Cole
5. P Murphy
6. L Doyle
7. J Colgan
8. D Gordon
9. A Rodgers
10. K McKernan
11. A Carr
12. R Sexton
13. P McComiskey
14. B Coulter
15. D Hughes

Mourne Rover

The team proposed by Minus15 is worth a look. The suggested full back line is the likely one, as Cole must come in and Rafferty will probably miss out. He covers a lot of ground but saw his man get 1-2 from play against Armagh and was badly exposed for the goal. McCartan struggled as well, but he was marking an outstanding forward and did his level best to limit the damage. Howard was our best defender by a mile, did not concede a score from play and I don't think he gave away any kickable frees either.

I would not shift Carr from the half back line just yet, and Murphy, while he never reached the heights of the Tyrone game, is worth keeping as well. There must be a serious concerns about Doyle's injury, and it will probably be a bonus if he appears again this summer. If Doyle is out, I would try Ambrose at CHB as he has the pace and strength and got a couple of great tackles in on Sunday.

Gordon is a certainty at midfield, and I would give Colgan another chance. He had a terrible start against Armagh, getting booked and giving the ball away repeatedly, but it was the first time he had ever started a competitive Down game at senior level and he improved considerably in the second half.

McKernan is the best bet for CHF, and Kearney, who has looked impressive as a sub, should start beside him. Hughes has been ordinary, but might come good at the other wing forward. Murtagh was OK in the first half on Sunday but dreadful after the break and should have been taken off much sooner, while Clarke is also struggling.

Benny does not look match fit, and McKeever also caught him with a couple of late tackles, but it probably makes sense to move him back to full forward. While McComiskey has not really got going in his last two runs as sub, he has to start in Tullamore. Sexton can be named in the corner and roam as usual.

There are plenty of doubts there, and there is a case for Gribben to get his chance, as, if our forwards do not improve substantially, we will be vulnerable. Is there a left-footed free taker in the squad if Doyle is out ?

Down Gael

What did the Down posters think of Colgan yesterday? I thought he looked lost early on, but seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on. I would still have prefered Lynch to start, but he seemed to do ok.  I havent had the benefit of seeing the game on TV so I could be wrong, but from my viewpoint he was ok.

dodgy umpire

to me he seemed to have the balls to get into the thick of the action and given it was his first start  at this level i would be happy with his performance. a good run in the qualifiers should get him settled.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Down Gael

If Coulter is fit I would start him at CHF, with Dan Gordon and Jackie Lynch in the middle and Ambrose at CHB. If Coulter isnt 100% I would use him as an impact sub only if we need him.
I think we also have to look at the quality of ball going in to our full forward line. It no good winnin 60 or 70% at midfield and not being able to score as a result. if you look at the ball going into Clarke and McDonnell yesterday, one bounce and into the chest. Everyone knows what they can do when they get the ball. Our forwards were never afforded the same time or space on the ball. I also think we are so so predictable, maybe some new blood should be introduced into the forward line as well.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Down Gael on June 30, 2008, 10:19:13 PM
If Coulter is fit I would start him at CHF, with Dan Gordon and Jackie Lynch in the middle and Ambrose at CHB. If Coulter isnt 100% I would use him as an impact sub only if we need him.
I think we also have to look at the quality of ball going in to our full forward line. It no good winnin 60 or 70% at midfield and not being able to score as a result. if you look at the ball going into Clarke and McDonnell yesterday, one bounce and into the chest. Everyone knows what they can do when they get the ball. Our forwards were never afforded the same time or space on the ball. I also think we are so so predictable, maybe some new blood should be introduced into the forward line as well.

i think we should give our hero benny a wee break , let him repair the machinery. gordon is very good on the ball would like to see him making more runs when in possesion. as regards new blood i think ciaran brannigan might be a bit young yet, big packie or cathal could be worth a look, big strong men and good footballers.

stiffler

What position has Hugh Davey been playing for the Shamrocks? Is he anywhere near the starting 15 in the eyes of the management?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

the milkman

Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 30, 2008, 10:15:46 PM
to me he seemed to have the balls to get into the thick of the action and given it was his first start  at this level i would be happy with his performance. a good run in the qualifiers should get him settled.

Yeah def. agree, I think he could do a job in the long term along side big Dan.

Team I like to see play Offaly

1. Mc Veigh
2. Howard
3. Cole
4. Murney (despite Omagh, still think he is great prospect)
5. Rafferty
6. Doyle
7. Murphy
8. Colgan
9. Gordan
10. Hughes
11. Carr
12. Mc Kernan
13. Mc Comiskey
14. Coulter
15. Rodgers (playing as 3rd Midfielder)

If Doyle is out move Mc Kernan back to CHB and bring on James McGovern

dodgy umpire

ambrose as a 3rd midfielder leaving two of the best forwards in ireland at the top of the pitch sounds very appealing, all being well with benny

AZOffaly

I'm relatively excited about this draw. Down are the sort of team which Offaly *should* play well against, even if we would still be underdogs. They are not a huge, physically imposing team and they try and play football. However, emphasis on the 'should' above. In the past Offaly have treated the Qualifiers with disdain, which is a poor reflection on us. However, I have been a bit understanding of this in the past, as the games have generally come very quickly after a heartbreaking defeat, like Laois in 2003, Westmeath in 2004, Laois again in 2005, and Dublin in '06.

I had hoped that last year, and the fact that we were denied even the opportunity to partake in the Qualifiers might have whetted the appetite for them when we got back in, and together with the relatively decent gap between games would get the lads back focussed on them. However, as Lone Shark alluded to above, there appears to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm, and this time it is making me angry. I hope that the rumblings I am hearing were just a brief reaction to the Westmeath defeat and that the draw, and the novel opposition, will spur the lads on.

If it doesn't and we don't even try to lift ourselves, then it will be a disgrace, and Offaly getting entry to the Qualifiers would, in that case, be the equivalent of a Eunuch getting an invitation to Lapellos.