Kerry v Cork - 2008 Munster final

Started by Kerry Mike, June 26, 2008, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

The clock is starting to tick down for the Munster final between bitter rivals Kerry and Cork in Pairc Ui Caoimh.

====================
Kerry's inspirational midfielder Darragh O Se has emerged as a major injury worry for the Munster SFC final against Cork on July 6.

The five-time All-Ireland winner strained his groin in a challenge match win over Meath in Templemore on Monday night and is facing a race against time to be fit for Sunday's week Pairc Ui Chaoimh decider. O Se had been struggling with the injury beforehand, but decided to play. However, the decision backfired badly as he was forced off after only 10 minutes and aggravated the injury in the process.

The injury is another blow to Kerry manager Pat O'Shea, who is already planning for the Cork game without suspended captain Paul Galvin and former skipper Declan O'Sullivan, who underwent knee surgery last week.

Cork also have their fair share of injury problems with half backs Noel O'Leary and Paudie Kissane both ruled out through injury, while corner back Dermot Duggan and midfielder Alan O'Connor are on the doubtful list.

======================

Looks like 3 places possibly now up for grabs with the 2 missing half forwards. Hopefully Darragh will overcome his injury in time.

The most likely move would be Tommy Griffin in a direct swap with Darragh to partner Semus Scanlon in the middle with Killian Young back in at wing back. Others to consider would be Mike Quirke, Tommy Walsh, Kieran Donaghy or Eoin Brosnan, all capable of playing at midfield, though with a weakened half forward line I'd expect to see Brosnan take over on the 40.

Dont think Mike Quirke has the mobility for summer football and I think Pat O'Shea would like to try out Tommy Walsh again and where better than in a heated battle with Cork in the Pairc and I am guessing if Darragh is out you could also see Donaghy back in midfield and Walsh staying at full forward.

Lets wait and see for the 6th July.

Cork are very poor and the injuries to O'Leary and others will weaken them further, but there is one thing you can be assured of, Conor The Ball_Grabber will have the Rebels fired up for the visit of Kerry to Lee side. No one likes losing a Munster final and Kerry and Cork will always bring out the best and worst in each other. There is alot at stake for this Cork team, after their strike and their loss of form in early season and their very poor showing against Limerick and the memory of 4 drubbings in Croke Park to Kerry in recent years must hurt.

We too have to find our feet, a decent league run with a depleted team, U21's and Injured missing, got us to a final where we caved in to the second half pressure of Derry, hopefully the fitness level have improved in the last few weeks and a good improvement over the Clare performance is needed. Will see on the day.

And hopefully we can produce a winning performance and complete the clean sweep over the rebels in football this year  :P

Munster Minor Championship: Kerry 0-13 Cork 0-11
Munster U21 championship: Kerry 0-15 Cork 0-10
Munster Junior Championship:  Kerry 1-11 Cork 1-9

Munster JFC: Kingdom dethrone holders
26 June 2008

Kerry ended Cork's reign as All-Ireland junior football champions with a two-point victory in last night's Munster final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Kerry..1-11
Cork..1-9

The Kingdom capitalised on some poor Cork finishing, particularly in the opening quarter, to regain the provincial crown. The home side totally dominated the early stages, but both Cathrach Keane and Colm O'Driscoll were guilty of spurning excellent goal chances.

David Goold eventually got the Rebels off the mark in the nine minute, but Kerry replied through Conor Daly and Niall Fleming before Alan O'Sullivan blasted a goal in the 20th minute. And further scores from O'Sullivan and Daly gave them a 1-4 to 0-3 cushion at half-time.

With Anthony Maher and Alan O'Sullivan dominant at midfield, the Kingdom stretched their lead to six points midway through the second half. Cork refused to throw in the towel, however, and reduced the gap to just two points when the impressive Goold slotted home a 50th minute penalty.

Goold made it a one-point game before Kerry closed out the game with late scores from senior panellist Paddy Curran and Alan O'Sullivan.

Kerry - S Óg Ó Ciarduabháin; K Quirke, W Sullivan, C O'Mahony; F Griffin, P Corridan, J King; A Maher 0-2, A Garnet; A O'Sullivan 1-2, JP Brosnan, M O'Donoghue 0-1; P Curran 0-2, N Fleming 0-1, C Daly 0-2. Subs - M Murphy 0-1 for Garnet, D Doyle for Griffin, N Óg Horgan for O'Donoghue.

Cork - P White; M Prout, G Healy, P Gayer; R O'Sullivan, S Fox, S Levis; E Lyons, N O'Riordan; S Kiely 0-1, C Keane 0-1, P O'Flynn; D Goold 1-6, BJ O'Sullivan 0-1, C O'Driscoll. Subs - D O'Donovan for O'Riordan, J O'Donovan for R O'Sullivan.

Ref - M McGann (Clare).
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

F**K sake how did Conor get a name like THE BALL-GRABBER?  :o I know, I know but give us the whole story. Brilliant.

Kerry Mike

It was Munster final day back in the mid 80's when Conor Counihan manhandled the family jewels of Jack O'Shea and all hell nearly broke out in Pairc Ui Caoimh, I still remember the Bomber Liston storming down the field to lay into one of the Cork lads.

It was the closest I have seen to a riot starting at a GAA match on the field and in the stands. If I'm not mistaken it was the same day that Billy Morgan and Johnny Mulvihill were stuck in each other on the sideline and later that night Morgan would not serve the Bomber or Mulvihill in his pub and another row almost took off. Twas a great day.

Other "great" moments in Munster finals in Cork over the years were Jimmy Deenihan having a "go" off Dinny Allen during the national anthem, Kevin Kehilly spitting at the Bomber, Paidi having a cut off Dinny Allen also before the throw in before another game, Dinny was easy to wind up.  Niall Cahalane and Pat Spillane sharing women tips during the games.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Frank Casey

Ahh Kerry Mike the lead up to a real Munster final in enemy territory. I'm single for the next 10 days as Mrs Casey will have nothing to do with me at the moment. We'll have to go for a dry run or maybe a very wet one.

I can't see us being done in this one. We have our troubles with fellas missing but an unsettled Cork team is in much more trouble. Our problems at half forward are ironically matched at half back for Cork. Would probably expect Donaghy at no. 8 with young Walsh at 14. With the way he blows hot and cold his next outing should be good. We'll complete the outfit with the 2 O'Sullivans at 10 and 12. I hear Nicholas Murphy has made himself available for discovery on the pitch in Darragh's absence. Thats probably a bit harsh as he has actually played against us a couple of times, that I can remember, in the Munster championship.
KERRY 3:7

Kerry Mike

I hear Alan Quirke is still missing, Not seen since the pre-match parade last September  :P

Am taking the holidays early this year FC and will miss the Munster final unfortunately, I know I know, but hopefully we will need the weekends in August and September  ;)

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Frank Casey

Tis alright - shure thats like the yarn that the Unbelievables had about the man having his dinner at 9 in the morning to give himself a good run at the day. ;)

moysider

Jaysus but yere a great double act the pair of ye. Mike and Frank. Thing is ye ll probably have the last laugh as well in September as usual. Spoiled is the only word for it. Ye dont know ye ve been born. Nothing but the good times.

Frank Casey

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2008, 11:09:40 PM

Jaysus but yere a great double act the pair of ye. Mike and Frank. Thing is ye ll probably have the last laugh as well in September as usual. Spoiled is the only word for it. Ye dont know ye ve been born. Nothing but the good times.

Actually we're twins but KM is two months older. You see he arrived a month early and well I was a month late......................

moysider

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 26, 2008, 11:11:22 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2008, 11:09:40 PM

Actually we're twins but KM is two months older. You see he arrived a month early and well I was a month late......................

If that happened with pure bred cattle you d need to produce 2 AI straws and pay for a DNA test as well. But I ll take your word for it.

Frank Casey

We told the yarn to a fella in a pub in Cork one night. You know he almost bought it. Mythical powers are attributed to Kerrymen you know. I worked for a few years in a small town on the Cork side of the county bounds. All intorductions were always preceded by "He's from Kerry", all quirks were similarly explained. Ahh to be regarded as rare and exotic like scruples in a polititian.

tyssam5

moysider

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 26, 2008, 11:24:16 PM
We told the yarn to a fella in a pub in Cork one night. You know he almost bought it. Mythical powers are attributed to Kerrymen you know. I worked for a few years in a small town on the Cork side of the county bounds. All intorductions were always preceded by "He's from Kerry", all quirks were similarly explained. Ahh to be regarded as rare and exotic like scruples in a polititian.

Hmmmmm. When your team manager is a politician and therefore unscrupulous you end up with you best player twiddling his thumbs while the poor old red and green crash and burn yet again. We re well and truly scrupled so.

downgirl

Got an email from ticketmaster today saying that for a limited time they are doing 2-for-1 on tickets for the Munster Final...doesn't seem like the GAA at all sure it doesn't!!

Kerry Mike

Quotedoesn't seem like the GAA at all sure it doesn't!!

We have been waiting a long time for another crack at Down, will this be the year, only seems to come around once every 20 years or so. One of the few GAA hoodoos we still have to break.

HS: Italy

QuoteSo why's it called a final?
Because you get a chance to bate Cork in it, and when you get the hay saved and the turf home your summer would be sorted.

QuoteAll introductions were always preceded by "He's from Kerry"
I usually get "here's another bollix from Kerry"

Dont mind my twin, he's still got a big smirky head on him from the win last September. Paul Galvin was right last year, that was THE game they just had to win.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

FFS I m off. These guys should get their own show. How can fellas in their seventies work a computer so easy?