Kerry v Cork - 2008 Munster final

Started by Kerry Mike, June 26, 2008, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 28, 2008, 04:59:19 AM
Quotehave been given a virtual bye by the Munster council into the AI quarter finals

....what do you mean by a "virtual bye"  ?
Correct me if i'm wrong Mike, but wasn't the Munster championship changed last year to ensure that Cork and Kerry couldn't be drawn on the same side of the Draw?
Hence whatever chance of one of yes being knocked out before the final has effectively been eliminated. Provincial winner into Q final and Runner up into last 12 pretty much every year from now on.

Main Street

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 27, 2008, 08:13:01 PM
QuoteIf the Nordies didn't pay any attention, would Kerry GAA still exist here ?

Why dont ye feck off so that we can find out !!

Also, you should be more focused on why Monaghan crumbled as soon as anyone had any expectations of them. Choke artists.
Are ye not getting much sleep? Pre Match Tension? thin skin already stretched to the limit so as not to tolerate a very mild tongue in cheek comment?

Sorry if you were offended, no offense was intended.

Frank Casey

Have to agree with brokencrossbar1 about football in Cork. Outside of the very independent republic of west Cork football seems in trouble here. Am working in the city and living just outside and in this part of the county "bogball" is seen as a game for bad hurlers.

I've often thought that west Cork would be better off going it alone and concentrating all their efforts on football. There are many on the Cork County Board from eats & north and the city who subscribe to Chisty Ring's dictum that the best thing to do with a football is to stick a knife in it.

As for tomorrow week. I'll be there, I suppose being exiled in enemy territory makes it a little more special. Frankly, other that an evenings bragging the match means little. Even if Cork were to win, and I can't see it, logic, and 95% of Corkmen, states that we'll hammer them in the All Ireland series.

The critics of the revised seeded draw in Munster are completely right. However please note one point. Cork and Kerry on their own could not and did not vote to bring this in. Turkeys voted for Christmas and they deserve their stuffing accordingly. Remember there are 4 other counties in Munster. Why wouldn't Cork and Kerry want to engineer a direct entry into the last 12 in the All Ireland. Turkey eaters are entitled to welcome Christmas whatever about turkeys,
KERRY 3:7

jodyb

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 28, 2008, 11:03:31 PM
Have to agree with brokencrossbar1 about football in Cork. Outside of the very independent republic of west Cork football seems in trouble here. Am working in the city and living just outside and in this part of the county "bogball" is seen as a game for bad hurlers.

I've often thought that west Cork would be better off going it alone and concentrating all their efforts on football. There are many on the Cork County Board from eats & north and the city who subscribe to Chisty Ring's dictum that the best thing to do with a football is to stick a knife in it.

As for tomorrow week. I'll be there, I suppose being exiled in enemy territory makes it a little more special. Frankly, other that an evenings bragging the match means little. Even if Cork were to win, and I can't see it, logic, and 95% of Corkmen, states that we'll hammer them in the All Ireland series.

The critics of the revised seeded draw in Munster are completely right. However please note one point. Cork and Kerry on their own could not and did not vote to bring this in. Turkeys voted for Christmas and they deserve their stuffing accordingly. Remember there are 4 other counties in Munster. Why wouldn't Cork and Kerry want to engineer a direct entry into the last 12 in the All Ireland. Turkey eaters are entitled to welcome Christmas whatever about turkeys,

Fair point Frank. I suppose the point I was making is that in every other county in the country bar kilkenny they'd give anything to be guaranteed a last 12 place, so for corkonians to say they've no appetite, having been granted this is a bit sickening. Bit like Turkey eaters whingin that christmas comes too often....

GAA_Punter

Uladh

The social influences you mention has become an increasingly familiar story around the country.

whats the story with masters?

Onlooker

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 28, 2008, 11:03:31 PM

I know it was said at the time, but it is no harm repeating that the only county to give their support to Cork and Kerry re the seeded draw was Waterford.  Clare, Limerick and Tipperary all voted for the Open Draw.  It is indeed ironic that there has never been less interest in a Munster Final than there is this year.  Hopefully this seeded draw will be dumped next year. It needs to be for the good of football in Munster.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt needs to be for the good of football in Munster.

yeah, like you give a s**t about Munster football.

Kerry by 3 points.

Onlooker

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 02, 2008, 04:07:00 AM

Kerry by 3 points.
I have been at 6 Munster Championship matches this year between Senior, Junior, Under 21 and Minor. There is football played in Munster outside of Kerry you know.  We all know that Kerry are good, but they are also arrogant b---------s.

AZOffaly

Kerry by 3 points.

Mike, you're way off base there. Onlooker is consistently posting about Tipperary football and football in general. He was one of the more prolific posters in the NFL Div 4 thread, so to imply that he's not a football fan is unfair.

And Onlooker, I don't generally find the Kerry lads arrogant. They're masters at winding you up when they want, but generally they seem to talk their chances down until after they win yet another one.

As for this game, I think Cork will win it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2008, 01:36:47 PM

Kerry by 3 points.

Mike, you're way off base there. Onlooker is consistently posting about Tipperary football and football in general. He was one of the more prolific posters in the NFL Div 4 thread, so to imply that he's not a football fan is unfair.

And Onlooker, I don't generally find the Kerry lads arrogant. They're masters at winding you up when they want, but generally they seem to talk their chances down until after they win yet another one.

As for this game, I think Cork will win it.

I hope they do for more reasons than just seeing them win, it will help us get a few injuries cleared up before the next round of the championship :P

I have serious doubts about them though, and I know there is some amount BS floating around about the tem selection and people not being happy.  But you never know.  If anyone can get the Cork lads up for the fight, Counihan can.  they treated Limerick with disrespect and nearly got their hles handed to them.  I can't see that happening against Kerry.

Cork by 2.  Are you coming down for the game AZ?

AZOffaly

No BC. I have a wedding in the wilds of South Kerry on the 11th, so we're relaxing this weekend in Tipp.

Main Street

Isn't it a Tipp expression,  'the hay saved, Cork beat and better things to come'?

AZOffaly

I don't think the bit about better things to come is on it, but I've heard that expression in Tipp and Kerry. Tipp obviously use it for the hurling.

'Jaysus it's a great summer, with the hay saved and Cork bate'.

timmykelleher

But it isn't too often ye get to say it .....  :)

.... with al the wet summers we've been having recently  :'(
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009