most famous person you have met

Started by saffron sam2, June 20, 2008, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Myles would it have made any difference to you if they'd walked into Larry Reilly's pub instead?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 29, 2014, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2014, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 29, 2014, 12:10:26 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2014, 12:03:29 PM
Definition of famous on this thread is a bit too wide, imo. To qualify as famous, Shirley, a sports person has to be recognisable beyond the boundaries of those who are interested in his / her sport. For example, George Best, Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill, Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Sonia O'Sullivan are people whose name and face would be known to many who have little interest in football, rugby, athletics or whatever. I've little interest in GAA, so alot of the names of 'famous' people I'm reading on here mean nothing to me. May as well claim that you've met someone from Big Brother 6. Just saying, like.

This site must be useful for you then.
I'm on the non gaa discussion part of the forum - there's a clue there - which I find enjoyable rather than useful.  The political & religious debates and the humour are worth looking in for. JOG - no particular reason why I'm not keen on GAA, I just prefer rugby and soccer. I never liked hurling, I enjoyed playing gaelic football at school, but I was always a soccer player first and foremost. I always took an interest in the international rugby games, but since I got too old to play any sport, I've found that I've enjoyed watching rugby more and more. I'm now at the stage where I prefer watching rugby to soccer and I wouldn't miss an Ulster match at Ravenhill. Drink probably plays a part in that too.  ;)

It's the none Gaa section of a GAA website. I just would have thought most people on this website would have an interest in GAA primarily. If not, would you not be better going to the likes of politics.ie. where some of the primary content is political and religious debate. Not that I'm chasing you or anything. I just find it strange that someone would go to a niche website just to get their general section.
But given it's a GAA website, can you not understand how the definition of famous would include GAA stars, given the posters interests.
The only discussion you get on a politics website is politics, naturally enough, and people can take themselves and their subject a bit too seriously. On a site like this one, you can get political debates, debates on other current affairs matters, discussions about religious matters, plus discussions about other sports. There's also discussions about absolutely nothing at all if you look closely enough  :).

I understand why GAA people would figure on this thread, but I think there has to be a spill over into the wider world if someone is to be classed as 'famous'. So, as a non GAA fan, I can say that I would recognise people like Joe Brolly, Jarlath Burns, Brian McEniff and Pat Spillane, but that's because they all have a profile away from the pitch.

HiMucker

I met Nadine Coyle. 
And I once had a fairly long conversation with Willy Thorne on the phone.  Seemed a sound fella. 
Also had a fairly short conversation with John Terry on the phone. Proper cnut
Showed Antonio Banderas a card trick once

theticklemister

Quote from: HiMucker on August 29, 2014, 01:17:06 PM
I met Nadine Coyle. 
And I once had a fairly long conversation with Willy Thorne on the phone.  Seemed a sound fella. 
Also had a fairly short conversation with John Terry on the phone. Proper cnut

I met HiMucker once or twice, no craic whatsoever

Asal Mor

Quote from: HiMucker on August 29, 2014, 01:17:06 PM
I met Nadine Coyle. 
Also had a fairly short conversation with John Terry on the phone.
Proper cnut

Are you a phone sex operator? If so, you've probably spoken to me on several occasions too. Another feather in your cap.

clarshack

the guy that played Boba Fett (jeremy bulloch) offered to buy me a pint once

deiseach

John Terry only dials sex lines on other people's phones.

Milltown Row2

Met this guy at the top of my street in the early eighties, those of a certain age will know

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Man Marker

Met and chatted to Princess Diana RIP

whitey

Quote from: give her dixie on August 28, 2014, 10:05:28 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 28, 2014, 09:37:02 PM
Borris Becker at a hotel bar on Miami. Had a beer with Marcus Latrell-Lone Survivor-at a conference where he was the guest speaker. Got my picture taken with Enda Kenny last year. Used to meet The leader of the Seanad all the time when he and his wife owned a chipper in Castlebar

You're lucky you didn't meet Borris in the broom cupboard Whitey    ;)

Funny you say that....he was keeping odd company that night all right

HiMucker

Quote from: deiseach on August 29, 2014, 02:13:28 PM
John Terry only dials sex lines on other people's phones.
He was on Damian Duffs phone believe it or not!

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 29, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
Met this guy at the top of my street in the early eighties, those of a certain age will know

A lot of gangsters running around west Belfast at the time.

Gaffer

Once spoke to Mad Frankie Frazer on the phone or as he would say "on the dog"
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 29, 2014, 12:07:16 PM
Dan Falzon and Cameron Stout.  I saw Claire McCollum, Jimmy Nesbitt, Gerry Adams, Bryan McFadden, Lucy Pinder, Adrian Logan and Liz McColgan before, never talked to them though.  I need to get out more.
Sounds like some night you had in Katy Daly's. Had to google Cameron Stout and Dan Falzon!