most famous person you have met

Started by saffron sam2, June 20, 2008, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Once took a dump in the stall next to Harvey Keitel in San Diego.
No handshake or picture after was obtained.

Aristo 60

My teetotal (should that not be tea-total?) parents called into Larry Tompkins pub last week on a short break to the Rebel County.

The great man took a half hour to give them a run through his career as a Cork footballer which thrilled & delighted them.

Hardy

I'd say they heard some horrid lies about Meath.

J OGorman

Dinny Breen

Croi, Heffo, Seanie Magpie, Lynchbhoy, Bud Wiser, AZ, Muppet and forgotten man Declan.

#newbridgeornowhere

glens abu

GAA the great Micko in the Burlo
Soccer George Best
Music Morrissey in the Shelbourne
MP,Poet,Songwrither,Freedom Fighter and visionary Bobby Sands

Champ15

A relation of mine used to captain a boat that took people down the River Moy on fishing trips and i used to help out as a young kid working as a bait boy cutting up bits of mackerel for the fishermen/women. Met a fair few famous people on these trips most notably Eric Clapton Pete Postelwaithe who played Guiseppi in the film In The Name Of The Father and Emlyn Hughes who used two played for Liverpool and England who became a very good friend of our family until he passed away
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

Myles Na G.

Definition of famous on this thread is a bit too wide, imo. To qualify as famous, Shirley, a sports person has to be recognisable beyond the boundaries of those who are interested in his / her sport. For example, George Best, Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill, Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Sonia O'Sullivan are people whose name and face would be known to many who have little interest in football, rugby, athletics or whatever. I've little interest in GAA, so alot of the names of 'famous' people I'm reading on here mean nothing to me. May as well claim that you've met someone from Big Brother 6. Just saying, like.

nrico2006

Dan Falzon and Cameron Stout.  I saw Claire McCollum, Jimmy Nesbitt, Gerry Adams, Bryan McFadden, Lucy Pinder, Adrian Logan and Liz McColgan before, never talked to them though.  I need to get out more. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 29, 2014, 11:12:09 AM
Croi, Heffo, Seanie Magpie, Lynchbhoy, Bud Wiser, AZ, Muppet and forgotten man Declan.

12 Angry Men.

Who's missing?
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2014, 12:03:29 PM
Definition of famous on this thread is a bit too wide, imo. To qualify as famous, Shirley, a sports person has to be recognisable beyond the boundaries of those who are interested in his / her sport. For example, George Best, Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill, Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Sonia O'Sullivan are people whose name and face would be known to many who have little interest in football, rugby, athletics or whatever. I've little interest in GAA, so alot of the names of 'famous' people I'm reading on here mean nothing to me. May as well claim that you've met someone from Big Brother 6. Just saying, like.

why not?

supersarsfields

This site must be useful for you then.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 29, 2014, 12:10:26 PM

I'm on the non gaa discussion part of the forum - there's a clue there - which I find enjoyable rather than useful.  The political & religious debates and the humour are worth looking in for. JOG - no particular reason why I'm not keen on GAA, I just prefer rugby and soccer. I never liked hurling, I enjoyed playing gaelic football at school, but I was always a soccer player first and foremost. I always took an interest in the international rugby games, but since I got too old to play any sport, I've found that I've enjoyed watching rugby more and more. I'm now at the stage where I prefer watching rugby to soccer and I wouldn't miss an Ulster match at Ravenhill. Drink probably plays a part in that too.  ;)

supersarsfields

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2014, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 29, 2014, 12:10:26 PM

I'm on the non gaa discussion part of the forum - there's a clue there - which I find enjoyable rather than useful.  The political & religious debates and the humour are worth looking in for. JOG - no particular reason why I'm not keen on GAA, I just prefer rugby and soccer. I never liked hurling, I enjoyed playing gaelic football at school, but I was always a soccer player first and foremost. I always took an interest in the international rugby games, but since I got too old to play any sport, I've found that I've enjoyed watching rugby more and more. I'm now at the stage where I prefer watching rugby to soccer and I wouldn't miss an Ulster match at Ravenhill. Drink probably plays a part in that too.  ;)

It's the none Gaa section of a GAA website. I just would have thought most people on this website would have an interest in GAA primarily. If not, would you not be better going to the likes of politics.ie. where some of the primary content is political and religious debate. Not that I'm chasing you or anything. I just find it strange that someone would go to a niche website just to get their general section.
But given it's a GAA website, can you not understand how the definition of famous would include GAA stars, given the posters interests.

deiseach

Definition of famous on this thread is a bit too wide, imo. To qualify as famous, Shirley, a sports person has to be recognisable beyond the boundaries of those who are interested in his / her sport.

Tripe.