Future of Croke Park

Started by take_yer_points, June 19, 2008, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

A friend of mine was down in Dublin for the weekend there and went and did the tour of Croke Park. The tour guide was saying that they've almost made the money back already that it took to build Croker!

He also said during the tour that they're now considering buying the houses behind Hill 16 and making it all seater (bringing the capacity to 96k approx) and are even considering putting a roof on the stadium.

What do you think of these ideas or what would you like to see happen? Would you rather they paid it off and lowered ticket prices or are you happy to see more development work go on?

ziggysego

Finish it off, but no need for a roof.
Testing Accessibility

Croí na hÉireann

Always wondered if the GAA were prudent enough to buy any of them houses for market price when they came up for sale, they'd always be able to rent them until they had purchased the whole row. Personally I'd love to see another 4 tier stand where the Hill is now, with the lower tier as a terrace.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

maddog

All seater, no terracing to suit Anto and Deco. No roof either

Muzz

I always thought it was the railway that was stopping the development of Hill 16 and Nally stands.  Would be nice to see a complete stadium.  Definitely need to start using it more though.  I'd say alot of the money that has helped pay it off has come from Concerts along with IFA and IRFU.

Would they have to run the train through the stadia still?

bingobus

I think it would look a far more complete and modern stadium going into the future if it was complete the whole way round. Roof would be a good idea in my opinion and would give the GAA more options in future for the likes of the Railway Cup, International rules, league finals etc.

I would then ask then to start considering other grounds round the country and bring them up to standard. 20,000-30,000 all seater, all covered grounds with the facilities that croke park have ie Toilets with tiles, running water and plenty of them, places to eat hot food, hot drinks, even the odd corporate box at the back of each stand would be pleasant. 3/4 of these grounds round country would give them a massive advantage over other sports. For instance, Thomand Park in Limerick when finished will be such a more homely, pleasant place than the neighbouring white elephant GAA grounds.

Lazer

Leave the Terrace - better atmosphere
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

ziggysego

Quote from: Muzz on June 19, 2008, 03:39:16 PM
I always thought it was the railway that was stopping the development of Hill 16 and Nally stands.

My understanding is that when Dublin get around to building an underground station, one of the stops will be under Croke Park. This could possibility mean they can do away with the line running behind the McNally Stand and Hill 16.
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Load of balls keep the terrace... very few if any modern stadia have a terrace and that's a load of balls about atmosphere. When Dublin aren't playing the atmosphere on the hill is no different to the rest of the ground and we shouldn't be considering 'tradition' when talking about our stadium. We should build the best we can possibly build, I'm sure the Dubs will still come to the matches even if it weren't for the hill and the atmosphere would still be special.

It amazed me we didn't go the whole way around the first time. It would be much better if we had and would be up there with the best stadia in the world (held even more highly than it already is). As for keeping on developing well people say if you're not going forward you're standing still and I think we should do our best to improve all the time.

5 Sams

I was told by someone involved in the design of the stadium that there is provison made in the design to add a roof easily at some stage.
The Aristocrat Years

The Real Laoislad

Hill 16 apart from the toe rags that stand there during Dublin matches is a eyesore.It really looks unfinished
Knock it down and put in all seater,Even if they don't take it up to the height of the other stands to make it a  complete bowl, couldn't they put a Kop style stand there thats all seated and holds 20k+
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 03:53:59 PM
Hill 16 apart from the toe rags that stand there during Dublin matches is a eyesore

So the toerags that stand there during Dublin matches arent an eyesore?

Incidentally, thanks for calling me a toerag  :'(
Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 19, 2008, 03:59:04 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 03:53:59 PM
Hill 16 apart from the toe rags that stand there during Dublin matches is a eyesore

So the toerags that stand there during Dublin matches arent an eyesore?

Incidentally, thanks for calling me a toerag  :'(

Ah no some of the howyais youngwans with the hoopy earings are alright looking....Until they open their mouth that is  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Ryano

Quote from: ziggysego on June 19, 2008, 03:41:44 PM
I always thought it was the railway that was stopping the development of Hill 16 and Nally stands.

My understanding is that when Dublin get around to building an underground station, one of the stops will be under Croke Park. This could possibility mean they can do away with the line running behind the McNally Stand and Hill 16.

I did that tour of Croker last year. There is a platform area already laid under one of the stands for a train station. They have signal lights installed and a raised platform area fenced off to one side. Our guide told us that CIE were invited to put a station in but they declined at the time. She also told us that they had plans to build part of Hill 16 out over the current train tracks that run behind it. However CIE again stopped them doing this as (get this) CIE owned the airspace above the rail tracks and they were unwilling to let the GAA built part of the propsed Hill stand in it! Thats why we have the stunted half arsed current lay out.

take_yer_points

I always thought it was the railway that was stopping the development of Hill 16 and Nally stands.  Would be nice to see a complete stadium.  Definitely need to start using it more though.  I'd say alot of the money that has helped pay it off has come from Concerts along with IFA and IRFU.

Would they have to run the train through the stadia still?

I thought that too but apparantly its the houses at the back