Future of Croke Park

Started by take_yer_points, June 19, 2008, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

All this improving of facilities - how about proper sausages instead of them frankfurters?

Rossfan

What the fcuk is wrong with standing terraces ? Are ye all gone soft or is it too much watching TV Soccer?
Terraces are far better for atmosphere and if you get stuck beside a pain in the behind you can simply move along to better or no company.
As for extending Croke Park - behind one goal there's a canal and low railway line and behind the other there's a high railway line. Options rather limited there my friends.
As for a roof - for the love and honour of God what next? Rain stops play?
If more money has to be spent let it be spent on one ground per province per year for 5 or 6 years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: kilkennycat2004 on June 19, 2008, 04:25:10 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on June 19, 2008, 03:16:26 PM
He also said during the tour that they're now considering buying the houses behind Hill 16 and making it all seater (bringing the capacity to 96k approx) and are even considering putting a roof on the stadium.

The stadium badly needs to be properly finished & with the decline in property pricess, whether by accident or design, it looks like  a master stroke to have held off until now.
Bring it on.
Masterstroke? Accident is anything.  House prices, whilst on the slide, aren't likely to fall back to their value in the early-mid 90s when the development commenced.  That's when any property should have been bought.

Kerry Mike

96k....yerra it will be easier to get tickets for our near annual trips to the finals anyway.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hurler on the Bitch

I have always felt that the hill makes Croker look like a tooth that needs a filling...... Even with seats they could give the Dubs that end...... also on tickets  ... last years AIHF ..top of Jones' Road the number of punters holding them up offering them at Face Value was crazy... even though I was told that I wouldn't have a hope in hell...

DUBSFORSAM1

I have to admit I love the terraces and the atmosphere that they generate during a full crowd so I don't want that changed...

There should never repeat NEVER be roof on Croke Park -

Doire abú

I thought Donaghy was still inside Big Niall's póca from the National League final?

Zapatista

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 19, 2008, 11:11:46 PM
I have to admit I love the terraces and the atmosphere that they generate during a full crowd so I don't want that changed...

Execpt when it rains.

bingobus

Simple question, why not?

thehulk!!

croker well at least they could finish the job, at present its a purpose built concert venue, ever listen to the gaa chiefs on about how modern it is- with a f***ing terrace, a complete joke a national stadium for our sports ye dublin seem to have free run of the place its a joke, at a minium seat the hill its a complete eye sore- ever wonder why any of the picture of croker never show the hill - that right as its a total embarassment to what is otherwise a fine stadium- still behind the millimum stadium and twickenham as both are complexes wgereas crokere is sitting anoung a load of houses. dont get me wrong its not bad but it true gaa fashion they didnt finish the job

thebandit

But the roof would enclose the atmosphere, making it noisier - surely making for a better atmosphere!!!

Lazer

Seriously - the atmosphere of the Hill is brilliant at any match i've ever been too!

I remember going to a match, where I was standing in the hill for the first half and then one of my family was sick - so the stewards let us into the seats and it just wasnt the same, its the standing, the arguements with those around you about referees discisions etc thats make the GAA brilliant!

9000 in Hill 16 is better than 20,000 in a stand!

I do see the terrace being replaced at some point in the near future as UEFA regulations mean no standing allowed, Croke park currently use temporary seats for UEFA. The day the GAA redevolops a stadium for English sport, it will be a very sad day for us all!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

man in black

Quote from: Lazer on June 20, 2008, 11:46:41 AM
Seriously - the atmosphere of the Hill is brilliant at any match i've ever been too!

I remember going to a match, where I was standing in the hill for the first half and then one of my family was sick - so the stewards let us into the seats and it just wasnt the same, its the standing, the arguements with those around you about referees discisions etc thats make the GAA brilliant!

9000 in Hill 16 is better than 20,000 in a stand!

I do see the terrace being replaced at some point in the near future as UEFA regulations mean no standing allowed, Croke park currently use temporary seats for UEFA. The day the GAA redevolops a stadium for English sport, it will be a very sad day for us all!

Since when is soccer an English sport?The English would love to believe it.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Bogball XV

Firstly, soccer is an english sport.

Secondly, no roof - conditions have always played a part in the game and I don't believe that should change.

Thirdly, no extra capacity needed.

Fourthly, let's keep soccer and rugby in croker.

Fifthly, redesign lansdowne to hold 30K, make it state of the art and allow the gaa full access when they need it.

Sixthly, keep a space for terracing, but finish off the bowl.

ziggysego

Wasn't soccer invented in Scotland... not England?
Testing Accessibility