Future of Croke Park

Started by take_yer_points, June 19, 2008, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

96K? are they mad, how many times a year do they plan on filling that? I also would not agree with any further development work on Coke Park unless it was opened up to other sport and hopefully they would use it.

for the amount of money that they would spend they could improve alot more stadia around the country by putting in new stands and facilities
Grand Slam Saturday!

rosnarun

1sr thing thats going to be done is a major renovation of the Mccusack stand . last stadium in the country that needs it what them cusion seat in the Mchogan stand or a device to keep the streams of piss warm on the hill
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ziggysego

Quote from: Tankie on June 19, 2008, 04:11:39 PM
96K? are they mad, how many times a year do they plan on filling that? I also would not agree with any further development work on Coke Park unless it was opened up to other sport and hopefully they would use it.

for the amount of money that they would spend they could improve alot more stadia around the country by putting in new stands and facilities

I knew there was a problem on Hill 16, but I didn't think they'd rename the grounds.
Testing Accessibility

Onion Bag

There is a railway line behind the hill that would have to be moved as well, cost a f**king fortune, But yes i think they should go for it, roof it and put Bangor Blur slates on er ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ziggysego on June 19, 2008, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: Tankie on June 19, 2008, 04:11:39 PM

I knew there was a problem on Hill 16, but I didn't think they'd rename the grounds.

Bit of a faux pas there by Tankie  :D I think its only called that when the Anto's and Deco's are there  ;D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

kilkennycat2004

Quote from: take_yer_points on June 19, 2008, 03:16:26 PM
He also said during the tour that they're now considering buying the houses behind Hill 16 and making it all seater (bringing the capacity to 96k approx) and are even considering putting a roof on the stadium.

The stadium badly needs to be properly finished & with the decline in property pricess, whether by accident or design, it looks like  a master stroke to have held off until now.
Bring it on.

Zapatista

Tour guides need to have something to say about the future. I wouldn't read into it to much. It will be another 100 years before Dublin has an Underground system. I'd like to see it finished off but i don't think it should be part of any plan in the short term. As Tankie said there are many other grounds that need improved first.

thejuice

I think an improvement in other stadias facilities is need more than that. Personally I dont think we should be increasing capacity of our current grounds until they are routinely being filled in all major competitions.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 04:21:50 PM
Bit of a faux pas there by Tankie  :D I think its only called that when the Anto's and Deco's are there  ;D

Satruday night takeaway Dublin style!
Ask me holy bollix

man in black

With the continued downward trend in popularity of the game in the capital, which is hardly likely to be changed the further down the multicultural route we go, can you see a time in the future when there will be certainly no need for any sentimental tie to "the hill" or maybe even, dare i say it, no need for a Croke Park? Time to start clearing some fields around the midlands maybe.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

ziggysego

Why are you predicting that a more multicultural Ireland means the death-bell for the GAA? If anything, it could injection new life into the association and new ideas.
Testing Accessibility

his holiness nb

Quote from: man in black on June 19, 2008, 04:41:19 PM
With the continued downward trend in popularity of the game in the capital, which is hardly likely to be changed the further down the multicultural route we go, can you see a time in the future when there will be certainly no need for any sentimental tie to "the hill" or maybe even, dare i say it, no need for a Croke Park? Time to start clearing some fields around the midlands maybe.

Is there a really downward trend in the capital?

Once you get to a provincial semi final or final, its seems to be a full house from then on in for the Dubs.

I cant remember a time when there was more clamour for tickets to big games.

I'm not having a go at the other counties as they dont have nearly the population Dublin has, but its the games not involving Dublin (finals aside) that seem to struggle to fill Croke park.

I always think there will be a stong sentimental attachment to the hill from Dublin fans to be honest.

Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

You should never buy a drink for a woman your trying to pull,or as the norm in my case a woman who is trying to pull me  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2008, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 04:52:23 PM
You should never buy a drink for a woman your trying to pull,or as the norm in my case a woman who is trying to pull me  ;)
Good man.

Holy f**k what's that doing here....Sorry wrong tread  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Ryano on June 19, 2008, 04:11:12 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 19, 2008, 03:41:44 PM
Quote from: Muzz on June 19, 2008, 03:39:16 PM
I always thought it was the railway that was stopping the development of Hill 16 and Nally stands.

My understanding is that when Dublin get around to building an underground station, one of the stops will be under Croke Park. This could possibility mean they can do away with the line running behind the McNally Stand and Hill 16.

I did that tour of Croker last year. There is a platform area already laid under one of the stands for a train station. They have signal lights installed and a raised platform area fenced off to one side. Our guide told us that CIE were invited to put a station in but they declined at the time. She also told us that they had plans to build part of Hill 16 out over the current train tracks that run behind it. However CIE again stopped them doing this as (get this) CIE owned the airspace above the rail tracks and they were unwilling to let the GAA built part of the propsed Hill stand in it! Thats why we have the stunted half arsed current lay out.

I know that when Celtic were building the new Celtic Park that they had to pay a once off fee to the council who was in charge of the graveyard next door. Stanchions from the Stand invade their airspace...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...