2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person

Started by GAAboardmod1, June 18, 2008, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

BennyHarp

I think the right action was taken my the moderator - a bit of slagging's ok, but some of the personal abuse that was on that thread earlier was ridiculous! What age is that Fearon man anyway? If I didnt know better i would have thought it was a school kid on the wind up! 
That was never a square ball!!

Mourne Rover

Donagh, what was the story that Dinny Cahill complained about ?

ONeill

The country's couped. There was a time when we were the thickest skinned breed on the planet. Now, if some gobshite wants to call another human a name, the country's up in arms. It says more about them for feck sake. Sure trawl through these pages and you'll find a plethora of players, officials and others who have been feckin cut to ribbons on here. I know the mods have to be careful because we live in a world of court cases and Fergal Logan but it's a shame.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

the green man

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2008, 11:13:10 PM
The country's couped. There was a time when we were the thickest skinned breed on the planet. Now, if some gobshite wants to call another human a name, the country's up in arms. It says more about them for feck sake. Sure trawl through these pages and you'll find a plethora of players, officials and others who have been feckin cut to ribbons on here. I know the mods have to be careful because we live in a world of court cases and Fergal Logan but it's a shame.

It's the American society we live in. Everyone's out for a quick buck.

Trip on a kerb? Claim
Get a smack on the mouth? Claim
In a crash? Claim

I know a fella who was on a bus that crashed into a car. He claimed, and got a 7 figure sum! Thems the times we live in.

ONeill

Ach sure I'm as bad. I claimed off the wife when she smacked into the back of someone else and I was a passenger beside her. Got 2 grand and pumped her premium up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

haranguerer

Quote from: the green man on June 18, 2008, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2008, 11:13:10 PM

It's the American society we live in. Everyone's out for a quick buck.

Trip on a kerb? Claim
Get a smack on the mouth? Claim
In a crash? Claim

I know a fella who was on a bus that crashed into a car. He claimed, and got a 7 figure sum! Thems the times we live in.

f**k! Thats me taking the bus from now on, they should put that on the 'Save the Environment' posters

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2008, 11:26:55 PM
Ach sure I'm as bad. I claimed off the wife when she smacked into the back of someone else and I was a passenger beside her. Got 2 grand and pumped her premium up.

Is that what they call it now...boom boom.

But you're right O'Neill , it has all become very precious and serious.  It is like the mental mummies screming at the under age games, f**king bananas!  Tony may have taken it the yard too far, but sure that used to happen all the time.  It was done to him and he went and huffed for a while, but he came back, bigger and brasher than before(well certainly bigger :P)  yo're bald by all accounts, I'm fat and slow, Pints is a grumpy shite, Tony is nuts you could go on and insult everyone but all it takes is one little prissy baby and the world goes mad.  f**k it is what I say, ram into the bus and bugger the consequences!

tyrone86

Considering some of the stuff that has been said on the board over the years, the Mugsy thing was pretty tame. It's certainly not the worst thing Fearon's ever came out with.

laoisgaa

QuoteIf ye were ice-cream ye'd lick yerself.

Ye Shane I'd be a nice Neopolitan flavour!! or maybe Mint Choc Chip!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2008, 02:00:47 AM
I missed all the craic earlier. Was it to do with Mugsy and the Conway Inn incident??

Yup
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

laceer

RedandGreenSniper

Presume it was taken down because of the 'libel' on it
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

laoisgaa

Story is in Wednesday's Irish News - it was frontpage - PDF is available FOC on their website

Zapatista

Laoisgaa, could you have a (educated) guess at how the Irish News checked their sources for this story? What would it take for a news paper to decide to run with a non story like that? Would they dig into it to see what actually happened or would they just run with the small (credible or non credible) info they have leaving the rest to speculation? Would this be common practice among the media?

As a journo do you have a quota on how many stories you need per day/week and if so are the time and budget demands together with the race to get the story out first leaving us with huge amounts of misinformation?