2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person

Started by GAAboardmod1, June 18, 2008, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

LaoisGAA while I take the point and fully understand the need to protect the Board (and more importantly its posters).surely  a quality publication such as the Irish News and its highly experienced editor would not have ran the story yesterday unless he was 100% happy about it and its factual accuracy?

If this is so, then the thread discussing this issue on this Board yesterday could not in any way have been construed as libellious.

Uladh

I didn't see the thread and any unsubstantiated personal abuse or unfair assunptions should definately be scrapped. But if the moderator is removing stuff that is factually reported in a reputable newspaper then he has taken leave of his senses. Or he's a Tyrone man....

Hardy

I didn't read the Irish News, but I'm willing to bet they didn't refer to any GAA player as a "peroxide p***k".

T Fearon

Yes, but as that is an indisputable fact it cannot be construed as libellous  ;D

haranguerer

Allegedly, as long as you put 'allegedly' in front of everything, you're untouchable  ;)

T Fearon

Whats the difference betwwen labelling someone a peroxide p***k

a) On this Board

b) During a game at a stadium, surrounded by loads of people who could potentially be witnesses to this

c) Watching a game on tv in a crowded bar within earshot of loads of people who could potentially be witnesses to this.

red hander

Quote from: Uladh on June 19, 2008, 02:13:43 PM

I didn't see the thread and any unsubstantiated personal abuse or unfair assunptions should definately be scrapped. But if the moderator is removing stuff that is factually reported in a reputable newspaper then he has taken leave of his senses. Or he's a Tyrone man....

There was nothing contentious in the IN report and it was confirmed by the rozzers ... the mod removed the thread because what was said in some of the posts was defamatory

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2008, 02:58:06 PM
Whats the difference betwwen labelling someone a peroxide p***k

a) On this Board

b) During a game at a stadium, surrounded by loads of people who could potentially be witnesses to this

c) Watching a game on tv in a crowded bar within earshot of loads of people who could potentially be witnesses to this.

No difference. You do it at matches and in pubs as well? How many teeth have you lost in your GAA errrr.... supporting .... career?

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2008, 02:58:06 PM
Whats the difference betwwen labelling someone

a) On this Board

Some lads grow 'balls' when hiding behind an alias on a computer, not as much to say at maches/in the pub

T Fearon

My point here is that if you conduct yours;ef in this manner (and I don't, not even for the most notoriously incompetent of our referees, nor the worst excesses of humanity that wear/or have worn Meath jersies) at games or in bars, withion earshot of others, who are then potential witnesses to the abuse, and the "victim" is subsequently  made aware of this, then surely that would be a much stronger case for a libel action than posting on this board

ziggysego

Tony, honestly wind your neck in. You're going to get yourself banned.................... actually, keep it up!  :D
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

The difference might be that the board gets punished as well as/instead of the poster.

No big swing with deleting the thread anyway. The thread was about an article which was printed and can be seen in the IN. I don't think we have anymore facts to add or take from the article. Any discussion around it was merely our views and opinions which can be seen on countless threads on the board.

ONeill

Can't believe I'm sticking up for the thieving fat swinger but one thing Fearon has never done is hide behind a gaaboard alias. We know who he is and usually know where he is unfortunately.

Tony did nothing wrong. He referred to a news item and called a player a 'p***k'. The amount of refs who have been called worse on this board couldn't be measured. If someone has an opinion of another that is derogatory, it's their business if they want to post it, especially in the name of a bit of banter. "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her."

Did you ever give Carryduff their money back?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zapatista

Where's them stone? I'm gonna hit the bitch right between the eyes!

SouthArmaghBandit

I always admired Tony and O'Neill for standing up for what they believe in and posting under their own names. Brave or foolish? I don't know which but they don't hide from anyone and if you dislike what they say you know where to find them and pull them about it. Fair play to the two of ye.