2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person

Started by GAAboardmod1, June 18, 2008, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAAboardmod1

In this day and age, many more people are becoming aware of the existance of boards such as this. While this is generally a good thing, it also means that the posts are more likely to be read by a casual visitor to the site. In these circumstances, the board must protect itself against allegations of libel, or defamation and so any posts which make derogatory remarks about a named, or clearly implied, individual, are a serious breach of the rules, and dangerous to the board itself. This particularly applies to individuals' private lives, finances, legal issues etc etc. This also applies to unwarranted abuse of GAA players and officials.

Penalties - 1st Offence - Warning, Second Offence  - 5 Day Ban, Third Offence - Permanent Ban

Could I draw the attention of everyone to rule two. There has been numerous posts on the board over the last number of days that have repeatedly broken this rule. While warnings are not made public they do happen, and the poster gets a private message about it. Over the past several months there have been rumblings in the media about private individuals wanting to take legal action against public forums like this one. Please use some common sense when posting and ask yourself would you want the remark posted about yourself.

fred the red

Yeah, no call for half that abuse that was posted earlier.

laoisgaa

Good call Mod. It's just a pity I didn't save my earlier post to repost it again here - no place for such deflamation on this board. Fair play

Uladh

laoisgaa

Some comments that were being made in relation to Owen Mulligan - totally uncalled of. Amateur players getting unwarrented flack by the press too.

ONeill

Hold on a second - so does this mean no derogatory remarks can be made about any sports people or politicians or reality celebs etc or is it just gaa?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoisgaa on June 18, 2008, 06:52:59 PM
Good call Mod. It's just a pity I didn't save my earlier post to repost it again here - no place for such deflamation on this board. Fair play

Here here coilin, there's no place for defamation either!!!!!

laoisgaa

Ha! Thats what happens when I'm sitting in a Bar in the heart of a rugby club in D4 watching Euro 2008!!! Oh the irony! They had Home and Away on the TV here earlier - I'll get my coat!

haranguerer

I knew rightly Mulligan was up to something, I just didnt know what, and it seems I've missed my chance to find out. f**k sake!!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

laoisgaa

Found this in my explorer Cache.

Here's what I posted earlier

I've said this many times and I'll said it again - inter-county players being wrangled through the press just because of an isolated incident on some night out. This has happened some players from my own county in the past - dragged through the mud over something which could happen any night of the week and yet it gets huge coverage because of who they are, rather than what they have done. If some act of major damage was done such as a bomb responsible for deaths or the like well then ye drag them through the mud - but it hasn't - most times it's the type of stuff only worth a brief mention in the court notes of a provincial paper.

At the end of the day these guys are amateurs who give huge committment and enjoyment to us, as mentioned before Tyrone/Down last Saturday was the game of the year, I was lucky to be there and what happens the news journos rid a positive sports story with this crap. Remember the time the Star ran a front page story on Cormac McAnnallens girlfriend, and Mickey Harte and the lads placed a ban on doing interviews for the Star - the news crowd fecking up the good work of the Sports staff - not good.

I'm not the GAAboard police but really some of ye on this thread would want to have a bit of cop on. Some of what ye are saying about Owen is a disgrace and without evidence. Either way it could bring this board into a legal wrangle and we just cant afford to have this carry on going on. I hope the Board moderators follow suit and ban the various parties responsible. I've great time for most of your posts Tony but this is maybe one bridge too far, others likewise.

Geez glad i've that off my chest!!!!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Quote from: laoisgaa on June 18, 2008, 08:32:05 PM

At the end of the day these guys are amateurs who give huge committment and enjoyment to us, as mentioned before Tyrone/Down last Saturday was the game of the year, I was lucky to be there and what happens the news journos rid a positive sports story with this crap. Remember the time the Star ran a front page story on Cormac McAnnallens girlfriend, and Mickey Harte and the lads placed a ban on doing interviews for the Star - the news crowd fecking up the good work of the Sports staff - not good.

Good point. I remember the Dinnny doing the same with the Irish News when he was with Antrim over a sickening piece on the front page.

ONeill

Quote from: laoisgaa on June 18, 2008, 08:32:05 PM
Found this in my explorer Cache.

Here's what I posted earlier

I've said this many times and I'll said it again - inter-county players being wrangled through the press just because of an isolated incident on some night out. This has happened some players from my own county in the past - dragged through the mud over something which could happen any night of the week and yet it gets huge coverage because of who they are, rather than what they have done. If some act of major damage was done such as a bomb responsible for deaths or the like well then ye drag them through the mud - but it hasn't - most times it's the type of stuff only worth a brief mention in the court notes of a provincial paper.

I'm not the GAAboard police but really some of ye on this thread would want to have a bit of cop on. Some of what ye are saying about Owen is a disgrace and without evidence. Either way it could bring this board into a legal wrangle and we just cant afford to have this carry on going on. I hope the Board moderators follow suit and ban the various parties responsible. I've great time for most of your posts Tony but this is maybe one bridge too far, others likewise.

Geez glad i've that off my chest!!!!

If ye were ice-cream ye'd lick yerself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

haranguerer

Quote from: ziggysego on June 18, 2008, 07:59:35 PM
Read the Irish News haranguerer

Just seen it on teletext. Agree completely that amateur players shouldn't have their private lives played out in the media, actually, come to think of it nor should professional players, but thats the british tabloid press gaining hold here again.