Bernard Brogan is a Geneass

Started by highorlow, May 28, 2008, 08:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Brogan reckons Dublin players are singled out and its one rule for them and one rule for the rest of the country after his appeal failed, even though Meath got stiffer sentances.

"Its the way it is when you're playing with Dublin. there's always that extra eye, the media attention is always a lot bigger with Dublin" (he told reporters  :o )

"Its definitely something you learn from, the next day you go out you won't go into a melee as hot-headed maybe as you would in other times" ---- the last 7 words sum up the Pillar era, its as if these lads think its normal. At least the lad appears to have learned his lesson (for a while).
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

I think you're being harsh on the lad. I don't see a whole pile wrong with what he said there to be honest.

AZOffaly

Me either. I think it's 100% correct that the Dubs are always in the spotlight, both negatively and positively. Over hyped in both cases.

heffo

Care to post a source?

Or have you edited his comments?

orangeman

THere definitely was one law for Meath and Dublin that last day out and onother law for Cork and Armagh - the essential difference was that it wasn't on TV.

INDIANA

dubinhell

Quote from: highorlow on May 28, 2008, 08:57:12 AM
Brogan reckons Dublin players are singled out and its one rule for them and one rule for the rest of the country after his appeal failed, even though Meath got stiffer sentances.

He said nothing of the sort. Did you actually read the quote from Brogan?

heffo

Quote from: dubinhell on May 28, 2008, 11:36:10 AM

He said nothing of the sort. Did you actually read the quote from Brogan?

His interview in the Indo said nothing of the sort anyhoo..

heffo

"Its the way it is when you're playing with Dublin. there's always that extra eye, the media attention is always a lot bigger with Dublin" (he told reporters  :o )

"Its definitely something you learn from, the next day you go out you won't go into a melee as hot-headed maybe as you would in other times" ---- the last 7 words sum up the Pillar era, its as if these lads think its normal. At least the lad appears to have learned his lesson (for a while).

If anyone is a 'Geneass' it's you.
-------------------

Here's the article in full, courtesy of the Indo - last night's Hedild is the same interview - the gobshi&e who started the thread has edited his comments:

-----

IT'S odd to think it now, but this time last year Bernard Brogan wasn't in the Dublin team.

He wasn't injured or suspended or anything, just outside the first 15. Dublin were about to hit the championship with a head-on collision with Meath and he wasn't on the radar, so to speak.

He'd been around alright. He knew the ropes and sampled almost everything about the Big Opera but the singing itself. He mightn't like to admit it, but until last year, Bernard was simply 'Alan's brother' to anyone who hadn't seem him play club football.

True, a cruciate ligament injury ruled him out for an entire season before but his league fortunes suggested another year biding his time on the bench beckoned. Twelve months on, he's out of the team again but for an entirely different reason.

He's suspended but a shoo-in to be back for Dublin's next game. He's an integral part of a forward line with enormous potential and Dublin's find of the season from last year. He went from non-playing substitute to an All Star nominee in the space of one championship.

So, for a man who took all of 23 years to nail down a starting spot for his county, Bernard Brogan is doing of hell of a good job making up for lost time.

He didn't get a sniff of game time against Meath in the drawn tie. He was a late replacement for Colin Moran in the replay. Then, word circulated that Bernard was flying in training, that he was an option to start against Offaly and duly, he was named in the team.

He started -- didn't score, but made an impression.

"It was unbelievable," he remembers of his debut. "It was obviously very nerve-wracking. But I had been around the team a lot. I just wanted to go out there and do the simple things right. Just express myself and hopefully, that would be enough to ensure I kept my place for the next day."

And that's when Bernard Brogan took off. He kicked 1-1 against Laois and all of a sudden, Dublin had this free-scoring wing-forward. It probably didn't register with the wider-Dublin public purely because his surname suggested such an explosion was an inevitability.

Still, that goal into Hill 16 against Laois and the grace with which he played a one-two with Conal Keaney marked the start of his stint on centre-stage.

"As a kid, my dream was always to score a goal into the Hill. I'd even have had it before winning an All-Ireland so I had to review my goals once I did that!

"But, it was just an unbelievable feeling. It's every lad's dream to score a goal into the Hill. To run up to it with everyone chanting and cheering. I ran off celebrating and I was knackered afterwards -- the adrenaline was incredible. Definitely the best moment of my career so far."

His maturity befits a man of his age, though easily outranks the meagre 12 months since his elevation was complete. He's working now, too. After half a decade in college, Bernard is employed by FGS, an accountancy firm in the heart of the city centre.

interests

It's a change, he says, but they're understanding about his footballing interests and couldn't have been better to him since starting a couple of months ago.

The pace with which Bernard started this season, both in the O'Byrne Cup and the League confirmed the suspicion that he was here to stay. That the flushes of youth had matured into a vibrant, rounded footballer.

"I think it's helped me, being that bit older coming into the squad," he observes. "Obviously lads like Alan and Bryan Cullen were 18 or so coming into the squad.

"But I had had been around the panel for a while before I played. You can see players who come in at a young age and struggle so I was just happy I came in with a bit more experience behind me and it should stand to me."

Where once he was a sprightly corner-forward with an impressive range and a greedy eye for the posts, Brogan has now filled out and things are looking up. He's part of a unit, one which has the potential to light up the summer.

"I used to shoot on sight with the club," he readily admits. "But when you're playing with the Dubs, there's 10 other lads who can kick points just as well as you can. It's just a matter of getting the ball to the man in the best position and doing what's best for the team and not take outrageous shots for no reason.

"I've matured in that way and brought a new element to my game with the passing . . . not sure if the club lads would agree," he adds with a smile.

The only sour note of the past 12 months is this suspension business. He's out for the Louth game next weekend. According to the GAA's disciplinary system, he was one of the chief protagonists of the Parnell Park melee with Meath.

He is disappointed, he says, with the punishment. Not just because he was caught but Brogan genuinely feels hard done by with the length of his sentence. Eight weeks for striking, something he denies and has yet to see video evidence of.

"I've never been sent off before and it's a big disappointment. In the heat of battle that day in Parnell Park, everyone got involved. But, the penalties were a bit harsh. Missing the Louth game is a big blow. It's what we gear towards and to be missing out on the first day and missing the preparations, it's a big disappointment."

Was the inevitable and over-the-top coverage of the incident a frustration?

"That's part and parcel of playing with Dublin, being the most-watched team. Everyone is interested in the goings on. Whatever we do is amplified to a certain extent. You have to watch what you're at a lot more. So, you just have to take it on board and realise that you're representing the capital and representing Dublin and act accordingly."

Brogan then, has learned the ropes quickly. The nuances of recognition which come with playing for Dublin. He has learned a lesson and says he'll be more wary in future.

For now, he'll just keep the rest of the lads on their toes ahead of the Louth game. The ones that are playing will get his full support. Louth will be a test and he'd love to be involved but the bigger picture involves Bernard and he'll be hoping for an immediate return.

Having just established himself last year, Brogan carries the same weight of pressure as those who have soldiered for the past decade so he's well-placed to cite what improvements are needed if they are to go the extra, vital mile.

Brogan says it's achieveable, though. With a high level of performance and a few key adjustments, Dublin should put their names central to the shake-up.

"One of the things that we've really worked on is maintaining a lead," he says. "The pundits and the critics have always said that Dublin can't maintain a lead. We proved that we can. We've done a lot of work on it and we've done a lot of preparation. We know mentally, we've had a lot of preparation."

"We know what we have to do. We've chatted about it. We know how to go about it this year more so than previous years." The perception of Dublin's shortcomings will exist until they go all the way. That, Brogan knows, is inevitable.

He asks, when do you ever notice a team closing out a game? Such a feat is treated as an inevitability.

"Anything negative about Dublin is what people want to hear," he argues. "People pick up on the negatives and don't come up with any of the positives.

"Any time Dublin put a team away, people just say: ' ah well, that was expected.' But, if we lose a three or four points lead, people say: 'here we go again'.

"We have lost leads in the past," acknowledges Brogan. "But it's just a matter of getting the head right. We definitely think that this year, we'll have a lot of say in the matter." Now fully established, Bernard Brogan is sure to have a his own say in Dublin's All-Ireland quest.

his holiness nb

On reading that, its obvious Highorlow is referring to a different article. Can you clarify which paper Highorlow?
Ask me holy bollix

highorlow

QuoteOn reading that, its obvious Highorlow is referring to a different article. Can you clarify which paper Highorlow?

The paper is 'METRO'.

The quotes are in "comma's" taken direct from that paper.

QuoteIf anyone is a 'Geneass' it's you.

Quotethe gobshi&e who started the thread has edited his comments:

Now I wouldn't go starting a thread without some source or facts, slander / defamation is only for gobshi&e's... Hef.F.O.   If you have a problem with the content of the article and it has caused offence to you contact the Metro but don't go preaching to me or go on an rant taking the moral high ground.

highorlow

.....and by the way the wordings without the comma's are taken direct from the article itself.

Kerry Mike

Delighted to see he has matured, So we will not see any more of him blowing kisses at one of the O'Se brothers. We will miss that from his game.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Main Street

Quote from: highorlow on May 28, 2008, 06:02:54 PM
Now I wouldn't go starting a thread without some source or facts, slander / defamation is only for gobshi&e's... Hef.F.O.   If you have a problem with the content of the article and it has caused offence to you contact the Metro but don't go preaching to me or go on an rant taking the moral high ground.
Dubs are touchy, it would appear.
Heffo should be thanking you because it gave him a half excuse to post a really really long article from the Indo about a Dublin player.
An article that I had managed to avoid reading until it was posted here.

There is not a lot of difference between what you quoted and what Heffo posted.
Metro
"Its the way it is when you're playing with Dublin. there's always that extra eye, the media attention is always a lot bigger with Dublin"

From the Indo
"That's part and parcel of playing with Dublin, being the most-watched team. Everyone is interested in the goings on. Whatever we do is amplified to a certain extent. You have to watch what you're at a lot more. So, you just have to take it on board and realise that you're representing the capital and representing Dublin and act accordingly."

heffo

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 28, 2008, 09:04:07 PM
Delighted to see he has matured, So we will not see any more of him blowing kisses at one of the O'Se brothers. We will miss that from his game.

I wonder will that 'mature' captain of yours be representing his county with distinction again this year by throwing headbutts to all and sundry in full view of the linesman.

It's ok though, as Sean Walsh was on first name terms with him and was able to guide him (the lineman) all throughout the game and give him a dig out by telling him what to do.