Protestants

Started by Feckitt, May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Kane

Personally speaking I couldn't name one presenter on any of the RTE presenter (apart from the Ballydung duo). Not out of any reason other than I have hundreds of channels to choose from and RTE, TV3 and TG4 are nowhere near the top of the list, apart from the odd American import they show if they get it ahead of Sky. At least they had the wit to get rid of those wankers who used to be on at either side of the adverts during Lost.  

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2008, 09:10:49 AM
QuoteYou can spot a protestant a mile away in the university area of belfast. They are the ones running about with the fancy hair (coloured, spiked etc) and the fancy clothes. They all go to the box, beach club, skye etc. One good thing is the protestant women tend to be better looking.

Is there not quite a few Ahagallon men who fit that description that are seen around the box/beachclub on weeknights then also seen throwing their best break dancing moves in the Ashtray on a Saturday night?!?

think you got it mixed up with some tyrone immigrant in the lurgan area

raisins

Quote from: Feckitt on May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
I am a wee bit unsure about starting this thread, because I am afraid of it being hijacked by bigots and wind up merchants.  I am originally from South Armagh but now work in an office in the North which is mixed about 50/50.  Everyone gets on great, and I would not have a bad word said about anyone here, RC or Protestant.

What I wanted to ask though, is it normal for Northern Protestants to,
1. Never have heard of Dustin the Turkey.
2. Never to have heard of the Late Late show.
3. To call Monaghan, (Monackon)
4. To not be able to pronounce Aisling
5. To never have heard of Brian Cowen

I know that these are all small things, and they don't annoy me.  Don't get me wrong.  I am just surprised!  Maybe I am the niave one, and I should not be surprised at all. 

Haha! This is really funny. Okay then Feckitt. From a good loyal Prod...Here are your responses mate...
Most of us haven't heard of Dustin the Turkey but agree the Eurovision song is pure crap
The Late ,Late show is an institution - Of course we've watched. But Pat Kenny is a poor man's Gaybo
My Mum's family were from Monaghan so of course we can pronounce it..It's Dun Laoghaire that a bummer
Aisling. Yep . I've made that mistake before. And hubby wrote Happy Birthday Shuvon to a girl in his office one time.
Is it rude not to have heard of Brian Cowen? Bring back Bertie!! 

Other things of note
Not all Prods appreciate the 12th marches
Are Catholic boys really full of guilt?
I can say Dublin in Irish...

stephenite

Would there be many in Waterford that would be au fait with Gerry Kelly and whatever heap of shite he used to front on UTV on a Friday night?

nifan

Dustin the Turkey was very well known by people my age when I was growing up. I know a few from tullyalley - a pretty hardcore prod estate - who where big fans of dustin back in the mid 90s.
RTE was always easily picked up in Derry though - grew up seeing bosco and 40 coats - what was that about!!! -as well as all the british stuff.
It probably depends where you where - antrim hardly saw as much.

As for the late late - always saw it on, the ma liked it with gaybo, i always thought it shite apart from the toy show.
The in laws still watch it, but even they think its shite now.

Lar Naparka

QuoteHaha! This is really funny. Okay then Feckitt. From a good loyal Prod...Here are your responses mate...
Most of us haven't heard of Dustin the Turkey but agree the Eurovision song is pure crap
The Late ,Late show is an institution - Of course we've watched. But Pat Kenny is a poor man's Gaybo
My Mum's family were from Monaghan so of course we can pronounce it..It's Dun Laoghaire that a bummer
Aisling. Yep . I've made that mistake before. And hubby wrote Happy Birthday Shuvon to a girl in his office one time.
Is it rude not to have heard of Brian Cowen? Bring back Bertie!!

Other things of note
Not all Prods appreciate the 12th marches
Are Catholic boys really full of guilt?
I can say Dublin in Irish...

I’d imagine that raisins is speaking for most Prods I know. On or two answers might be different from individual to individual but overall the level of knowledge would be about the same.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Chrisowc

Quote from: raisins on May 29, 2008, 08:00:36 AM

I've heard a few people splutter 'Sigh o ban' too ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

AZOffaly

That's what the Yanks called my sister in law when she came over to stay with us for a summer. Sigh - O- Ban,

Hardy

I couldn't be sure, but I thought I heard Sambo, interviewed this morning on the Radio 1 sports news about the hurling mentoring scheme, referring to Monaghan as "Monackan". Does that make him a left footer or does it blow one theory out of the water?

Also, the interviewer called him Sambo throughout. Is he usually addressed like that?

Minder

You have to make allowances for Sambo.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

clootfromthe21

Quote from: hardstation on May 29, 2008, 03:24:52 PM
Aye, he's Sambo alright. Sometimes Turnce. You're lying about him saying Monackon though. More like, t..t..tMonackon.

You are a bad bad man, Hardstation.

Sure wouldn't Sambo know well how to pronounce Monaghan - aren't one/some of his ancestors from the Kya - Van area?? F@%k'n blow in!

the real slim shady

Was at uni a few years ago and a few girls telling me that they were going down to Ireland for the weekend....always bugged the sh*te outta me!!!

The Real Laoislad

A man walks into a pub carrying a crocodile under one arm. He goes up to the barman and says, 'Hey, mate, do ye serve Protestants in this bar?'
One wary eye on the crocodile, the barman replies,
'Aye, sure we do.'
'Okay,' says the customer, 'In that case, a pint of lager for me an a Hun for my wee crocodile pal here.'
You'll Never Walk Alone.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 29, 2008, 04:54:22 PM

A man walks into a pub carrying a crocodile under one arm. He goes up to the barman and says, 'Hey, mate, do ye serve Protestants in this bar?'
One wary eye on the crocodile, the barman replies,
'Aye, sure we do.'
'Okay,' says the customer, 'In that case, a pint of lager for me an a Hun for my wee crocodile pal here.'

someone call the RSPCA, people like him shouldnt be allowed pets
Its Grim up North

Hurler on the Bitch

Look, the thang about Prodestans is that there are distinct types ... COI .. bit catholic and middle class etc moderate on the whole... Methodists .. same... Non Subscribing Presbos .. ditto... HOWEVER, the offspring of John Knox, the landless, Lowland louts, the Presbyterians, are a different kettle of fish... These people - or their leaders - chained the swings up in the Belfast parks until the 1970s ... they think that they are THE PEOPLE !!! thus catholics, blacks, gays, pakistanis, Manchester police officers .. are all scum as they pose a threat to their superior way of life.... Personally, I don't blame Martin Luther... I blame Pope Leo X and perhaps the Borgia Popes ... as if I lived in 16the century Europe I would not have been a catholic .... I would have broke away .. formed my own church .. Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Hurlers (On the Bitch Wing)...