Protestants

Started by Feckitt, May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

I am a wee bit unsure about starting this thread, because I am afraid of it being hijacked by bigots and wind up merchants.  I am originally from South Armagh but now work in an office in the North which is mixed about 50/50.  Everyone gets on great, and I would not have a bad word said about anyone here, RC or Protestant.

What I wanted to ask though, is it normal for Northern Protestants to,
1. Never have heard of Dustin the Turkey.
2. Never to have heard of the Late Late show.
3. To call Monaghan, (Monackon)
4. To not be able to pronounce Aisling
5. To never have heard of Brian Cowen

I know that these are all small things, and they don't annoy me.  Don't get me wrong.  I am just surprised!  Maybe I am the niave one, and I should not be surprised at all. 

Our Nail Loney

I love these threads, cue about ten pages of arguing!!

Gabriel_Hurl

flags,
themmuns,
whataboutery

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhat I wanted to ask though, is it normal for Northern Protestants to,
1. Never have heard of Dustin the Turkey.
2. Never to have heard of the Late Late show.
3. To call Monaghan, (Monackon)
4. To not be able to pronounce Aisling
5. To never have heard of Brian Cowen

No, but it probably just proves there's idiots in every religion.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

fred the red

Why do they call H 'eahhh'

Tankie

Well i couldnt tell you wants on UTV or BBC regarding the North unless its very popular or RTE cover it as i rarely watch these stations. I was very surprised tho when i met a protestant and he didnt know much about all of above and GAA.
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Depends on the people I guess. A right few of the Protestants I know are well up on current affairs in the south and cultural stuff (even Dustin the Turkey)

Then again, there are those that aren't. Might you, they don't know what's happening at the end of their own roads.
Testing Accessibility

dodo

The Real Laoislad

One of my very best mates is a protestant from Portadown..
He knows all about Gaa,Irish politics and all that
He's not interested in any of it but he knows about it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

doire na raithe

Alot of catholics I know from Antrim would not be fully aware of Dustin the turkey and would only really know of him as some sort of puppet character from Dublin.

charlie stubbs

laislad hes bound to know the machinegun hamill from ballyoran park along, with big mc doo, wee mcdoo, slasher dogbox, bisto and all the other greats of tirnanog gfc :D!!

take_yer_points

Quote from: doire na raithe on May 27, 2008, 08:19:13 PM
Alot of catholics I know from Antrim would not be fully aware of Dustin the turkey and would only really know of him as some sort of puppet character from Dublin.

A lot of Catholics from Belfast don't know anything further west than Makro! A friend of mine thought Fermanagh was in the republic and Monaghan was one of the six counties when we were watching the game on Sunday!

A few years back I remember a fella in work telling us that there is 6 counties in Ulster - we had a job convincing him that there was 9! He ended up phoning the DUP office in Belfast on speaker phone and they confirmed that there are 9 counties in Ulster. He was telling us that in school he was taught that there was only 6 in Ulster.

doire na raithe

Only good thing about hardline Unionists, they don't subscribe to the six county Ulster bullshit. They are more inclined to be follow Carson who was deeply aggrieved at having to give up Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: charlie stubbs on May 27, 2008, 08:28:25 PM
big mc doo, wee mcdoo, slasher dogbox, bisto

excellent assortment of names.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

The Iceman

yeah i think you would be shocked at the generalised stereotypes on both sides

i did a bit of cross-community work back at university "bridging the gap" stuff.  One of the sessions was called   - "what we think of protestants and what we think they think of us"  both religions completed the exercise and the results were comical

i think what it exposed was that we are all ignorant
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight