European Final

Started by Kerry Mike, May 21, 2008, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Munster v Toulouse on Saturday in Cardiff.

Anyone going?

Am looking for a spare ticket, anyone?

Munster's 26 man squad named today though Federico Pucciariello, Mick O'Driscoll and Tomas O'Leary all sat out training today but all are expected to be okay for Sat.

Munster: S Payne, D Hurley, I Dowling, D Howlett, K Earls, K Lewis, R Tipoki, L Mafi, P Warwick, R O'Gara, T O'Leary, P Stringer, M Horan, J Hayes, F Pucciariello, T Buckley, F Sheahan, J Flannery, P O'Connell, M O'Driscoll, D O'Callaghan, D Ryan, D Wallace, A Quinlan, D Leamy, A Foley.

I would expect a starting line-up of:
Hurley, Dowling, Tipoki, Mafi, Howlett, O'Gara, O'Leary, Horan, Flannary, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Quinlan, Wallace, Leamy

The subs will be interesting, I think Pucciariello will get the nod over Buckley, better scrummager and an experienced head, likewise I think Foley will be the choice instead of Donnagcha Ryan for the back row.

Should be a great game, Toulouse are very strong looking even without Clerc.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Gnevin

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 21, 2008, 10:00:10 PM

Should be a great game, Toulouse are very strong looking even without Clerc.
That may be so but i have feeling Munster's name is on the cup this year
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

nrico2006

Whats the story with Brian Carney?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2008, 09:26:29 AM
Whats the story with Brian Carney?
Perhaps he's injured, but he wouldnt be in the team either way. He doesnt fit into the Munster style of play of not passing to your wingers unless the game is already won or things are really desperate. You need to be an exceptional player like Howlett who'll continue making the brilliant runs despite only being seen maybe 10% of the time, or a good oul mullocker like Dowling who'll run around without worrying about having to take passes, make the odd tackle and fit in to the kick and chase mode.

orangeman

Will Peter Stringer make the team ?

Hoof Hearted

not much discussion on this lads, chelsea, man u, john terry and sir alex have dominated
are the munster fans (and im one for the weekend as i will be there) not too confident this time around
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Dinny Breen

This is certainly an interesting match-up. The Munster style of play has evoled but I don't think it has evolved enough to win this game and I expect Munster to revert to type and use O'Gara to kick in behind Medard and Donguy and kick ball down Heymans throat. That might bear results as I would have no confidence in Heymans under the high ball. It is a dilemma for Munster because I believe that Toulouse's tight 5 are pretty damn good and their back-row is a better unit than Munsters hence Munster could find themselves starved off the ball, so when they do have it, do they kick it away or try and play through the centre and create space out wide, they don't have the centres or back-row to go wide early. Toulouse have big strong centres so i think Munster will kick a lot ball, this I think will suit Toulouse, they have the best line-out in Europe (I fully expect Toulouse to attack and make in-roads into the Munster line-out) and like all French sides are capable of scoring from anywhere.

However this game will be won in the last 20 and that is where Toulouse will win it, their bench is bloody stong and with players like Nynaga, Ahotaeiloa and Fritz to come on and make an impact I think Toulouse will win 19 -13. If Toulouse are postive on the handicapp +2/3 that would be the bet for the week-end.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mickey Linden

What time is kick off tomorrow?

AZOffaly

I'm worried. I'm not really in the mood to talk about it. It's certainly more low-key this time around, but that's fairly natural I suppose. I don't think you'll hear epic tales of hardship in trying to get to this match. I'll be watching it in Limerick, and I'm sure there'll be a big crowd around, but it won't be as manic as 2006.

As for the game itself, Munster will have to be better than they were in Gloucester, and anything resembling the performance in Coventry will result in a bad defeat. Toulouse are masters of this tournament, despite the hype about Munster. They are the true blue bloods of the tournament, and have a massive budget (€22m) for players, resulting in top class internationals from 1-22 (and beyond).

Munster, ironically, are a far better team than 2006, but Toulouse are far better tha Biarritz as well. However, clichéd as it is, you can't underestimate Munster, and I have a feeling Paul O'Connell will have a big game. O'Callaghan needs a big game as well, as Toulouse are capable of destroying the lineout. London Irish's lineout has been better than Munster this year, but they got their bellyful against Toulouse.

The back rows will be interesting as well, as will the scrum, but I think Munster's scrum, apart from a 10 minute period against Gloucester, and Leinster, has been better than expected this year. It will have to be, and Buckley may well lose out to Puccierello for a place on the bench because of this.

At half back, Tomás O'Leary will probably play, especially since Kelleher is going to be at 9 for Toulouse. His physicallity would run over Stringer I think, and O'Leary has a break that will keep Kelleher occupied as well. I just hope he doesn't have a disasterous day with the boot again, because Haymans and co will destroy you with run backs.

O'Gara is a better outhalf than Ellisalde in my opinion, but will have to get the ball with time to control the game. That's where O'Leary's pass, and the back rows come into play. If he gets that, I'd expect him to mix up the game, releasing the centres every so often, but also trying to kick behind the Toulouse wings. Toulouse will probably play very flat and high in defence, looking to smother the ball, and turn it over, so O'Gara could affect that with intelligent kicking.

All in all, it's hard to call, and I am hopeful, but a lot of things have to go right for Munster. They have pulled out big performances before, but they've also underperformed in finals too. They can't underperform on Saturday.

'Stand up and fight'

Dinny Breen

AZ, we more or less said the same thing yet I went for a Toulouse win, is your heart not allowing you say it  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

My heart. I would pick Toulouse to win, unless Munster have 'a lot of things going right'.

Edit: I suppose I would sum it up by saying I expect Toulouse to be too good, but I can easily see how Munster could win it too.

I have spinters in my arse :D

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Mickey Linden on May 23, 2008, 10:43:13 AM
What time is kick off tomorrow?

5.00pm mickey

intersesting to read your reports dinny and AZ. yous always seem well clued in and are rarely wrong, but i hope you are for tomorrow.
this is my first experience of a live rugby match EVER, at any level, so i think ive fell on my feet with a European Cup Final between 2 out of the 3 most successful teams in its history (Leicester being the other)

the boys on the Rugby Club every thursday never write off munster, they are mad about them too
as AZ said, anything like the semi victory will be nowhere near good enough

rosnarun

suprized its so quiet seen as its probably the last sailing of the good ship munster for a long time till kidney come home again , maybe it wont be that long.

Go on the reds(of Toulouse)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dinny Breen

Quotethis is my first experience of a live rugby match EVER, at any level, so i think ive fell on my feet with a European Cup Final

Well HH, I think you are in for a fantastic experience, Cardiff is a brilliant rugby venue and the Miillenium Stadium is the best rugby stadium in the world. Enjoy the atmosphere aound Cardiff, get to the ground early, you can sit down and have your beer in the stadium in your seat, study the warm-ups, they'll be very meticulous and will give you a good insight into the mood in the camps. While Wednesday was about sport what has turned into tomorrow is what sport should be about, soul, character and belief. Tomorrow is the closest professional sport can come to All-Ireland finals day imho, regardless of the result you'll have a fantastic day.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

cheers dinny have been really looking forward to it since i booked everything at xmas.
i couldnt get any accomodation in cardiff, even back in december, so we're flying into bristol and i have the train tickets booked (1 hour journey 11.00am and 9.00pm return). cardiff could be buzzing just as we have to leave but theres nothing we can do, although if Bristol City win promotion tomorrow, Bristol will be buzzing too, but a night with english soccer fans doesnt have the same appeal :P
still, no doubt the build up from 12.00 to 5.00 will be special