European Final

Started by Kerry Mike, May 21, 2008, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Topple The Trunk
Dewi Morris looks ahead to the Heineken Cup final
Posted: 22nd May 2008 17:30

Both teams have great packs but I don't expect it to be a turgid forward affair, I think Munster will have a go as much as Toulouse and the day it should be an absolute thriller.

Two tribes go to war
We should be in for an absolute cracker at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday in what promises to be a great match-up between Munster and Toulouse.

Of course Toulouse will be without Vincent Clerc and Clement Poitrenaud who have been out for some time and they have a doubt over Byron Kelleher, who came off during their last match.

He's a massive plus-point for them, such a physical scrum-half and with Jean Baptiste Elissalde that's the biggest question mark - how will Elissalde cope against Ronan O'Gara?

Toulouse will be hoping Kelleher does play as he will take a bit of pressure off Ellissalde.

Toulouse have had a long season - French Top 14 is a damn sight harder than the Magners League - and they've probably secured second place having beaten Montauban at the weekend.

So they will be focussed on Saturday. Yannick Bru, the forwards coach came out and said that Toulouse didn't play particularly well at the weekend because they had other things on their mind, i.e, the big one at the Millennium Stadium.

They have got injuries. They are a bit battered, but one thing they do have is a great desire and a fantasticpack - and I think that is where, as ever, the game is going to be won and lost.

I honestly think it'll be a tremendous game - a hard, physical, forward orientated final, but also with flair with the likes of Doug Howlett, Rua Tipoki and Lifeimi Mafi for Munster.

The Trunk

Jauzion is a bit one-paced at the moment but he's world class for Toulouse.

Injuries have slowed him down recently but he isn't known as 'The Trunk' in France for nothing. They call him that as he ploughs forwards and through the gaps, staying on his feet, planting his legs down and allowing forwards and backs to take a line off him.

He fights to stay up on his feet which is great because the ball is then in the hand and the offload can carry on. That's why he's so good and so vital for Toulouse.

He hasn't been in great form of late and you could say he may be a weakness, but then again he's such a great player and the big occasions bring out the best in players. I just don't see Jauzion hampering Toulouse even though he's a yard off what he once was.

Munster will have to hit him and hit him hard, but that's easier said than done.

French sides aren't always the best travellers but that doesn't apply to Toulouse, who will be heading to Cardiff with absolute confidence.

If it's anything like the atmosphere at the final two years ago when Munster played Biarritz it'll be great. That was the best atmosphere I've ever experienced, it was back-of-your-neck stuff.

If Toulouse win, it'll be a third Heineken Cup final victory for the captain, Fabien Pelous. Well what can you say about Pelous? He's an icon, as Martin Johnson was for England.

If he gets another winners medal on Saturday, who knows, it may be a fitting end to a glittering career.

But he will have his work cut out against Paul O'Connell and Donncha O'Callaghan, but they'll need to watch out for Pelous's hands as he can pass like a back.

This will be Declan Kidney's big send off before he takes up his new post as head coach of Ireland and he'll be hoping to bow out of Munster on a high with another Heineken Cup.

Munster are slight favourites, purely because of the 16th man they will have at Cardiff with all the support, and they do tend to play better when they are underdogs.

Fresh

They are very fresh having not played since May 10th against Glasgow, although that can work both ways: will they be a bit rusty or will they be fresh? Probably a bit of both.

It may take them 10 or 15 minutes to get into the swing of things but this is what Munster do, they normally have long breaks off because there are obviously so many players on international duty to consider.

Sometimes when you have a long time to prepare for a game and analyse the opposition you beat yourself up and get caught between two minds. That could work against Munster.

But Kidney is a shrewd guy and he has a big decision to make in who to go with at scrum half. Does he pick Tomas O'Leary or Peter Stringer? That's about the only dilemma he has got.

Munster's powerful old pack will be in for a battle, they know that. I doubt they can beat Toulouse up, but they may get parity.

They're a good unit, obviously with hundreds of caps between them, but there are question marks about the scrummaging, John Hayes and Anthony Horgan aren't particularly renowned for that.

But Munster have changed their game over the last couple of years by bringing in players such as Howlett, Tipoki and Mafi - guys that are willing to go from their own 22.

You've also got Ronan O'Gara who will throw balls out now, when normally he would have kicked to get territory and position. They now have a good balance in the side.

Both teams have great packs but I don't expect it to be a turgid forward affair. I think Munster will have a go as much as Toulouse and it should be an absolute thriller.

You'd be mad to bet against Munster - especially with the support that they will have at the Millennium Stadium -but I just have a little thought at the back of my head that Toulouse will come through.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mc_grens

Can't wait for this. Flying out on Saturday morning. Fingers crossed and not tempting fate I think sums up the mood of most of the Munster heads I know.

Kerry Mike

Munster coach Declan Kidney keeps faith with the same starting XV, as the semi final, for the Heineken Cup clash with Toulouse in Cardiff. The only changes to the match day squad are on the bench where Keith Earls and Tony Buckley are named.

Munster: D Hurley; D Howlett,  L Mafi, R Tipoki, I Dowling; R O'Gara, T O'Leary; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell (capt), A Quinlan,  D Wallace, D Leamy. Replacements: F Sheahan, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, P Stringer, P Warwick, K Earls

So thats it, same line up and no real surprises except probably on the bench, No final fling for Axel Foley but he has served us well in 200+ games, the bench looks light on experience for the backs, big ask of Keith Earls or Paul Warwick to come in and win the game for us if needed, lets hope the picked backs dont get any injuries, and I have my doubts on Mushy Buckley too producing the good if needed. But I wont doubt Kidney's ability to pick his team and panel on training form , so lets hope for the best.

Am heading for the airport in an hour and a deserved pint after a long week, keep an eye out for the Kerry Jersey, should be a great weekend and a tense atmosphere tomorrow afternoon about 5pm but looking forward to it. Have been lucky to have been at Munster's last 3 Euro finals and 2006 was an incredible experience , have never seen so many grown men and women crying , it was (nearly) better then winning an All Ireland with Kerry.

Huge games for Denis Hurley and Tomas O'Leary , two young lads who have come through the system in Munster but this is a big test for them. Expect big games from Leamy, O'Connell and the Bull. Have Paul backed at 50/1 for first try. Whats that they say about a fool and his money....

Anyway safe travelling to all Munster fans, whether you have the shoulder to the wheel of the wagon or just jumping on for the spin, enjoy the ride. Cardiff 08 will be rocking. Its a great stadium and with close on 70000 Munster animals, langers and other assorted people supporting the team should make for a great day out.

Stand up and fight
Until you hear that bell
Stand toe to toe
trade blow for blow
keep punching till you
make your punches tell
show that crowd what you know
until you hear that bell
that final bell
stand up and fight like hell

C'mon MUNSTER
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Buckley instead of Pucierello so. That's a big enough call in itself. Buckley can be destructive at rucking and even ball carrying, but Freddie is a far better scrummager. I'm also a bit nervous that Foley isn't on the bench. If Munster are in a winning position with 10-15 minutes left, he's a great lad to come in and steady the ship for the last furlong. I thought they missed that against Saracens.

magickingdom

7 hours to go! trevor brennan had a great article in the times yesterday if anyone gets a chance to read it. come on the munster men!!

thebandit

I'm baffled that Foley isn't on the bench. I know he's only a 20 minute man now, but O'Driscoll on the bench as well means that they are well covered

muppet

Can we watch this online anywhere?  ??? ???

Not in a position to watch Murdock TV.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Gnevin

Well done too Munster . Great game ,classic Munster in the end .As ROG said this team can only get better .Europe beware
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

Legends. Back row immense. Paul O'Connell is an animal. I'll type more on Monday.!!!

Stand up and Fight!

muppet

Unbelievable.

My one year old laptop blew up with three minutes to go. Couldn't take any more. Raced off to another old PC for the last minute. Boy was I glad I had posted the link here.

Well done Munster.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Fantastic result for Munster beating a fanied and well resourced Toulouse team - well done !

pintsofguinness

Was at it myself. Very enjoyable game, and a great outcome.  I thought Munster didn't start well but when they got going they looked the better team. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Shamrock Shore

Really enjoyed it.

I reckon O'Connell St in Limerick should be renamed O'Connell St cos the big man was immense.

Tankie

A great result for Munster and Irish Rugby. after a shock WC and a just as bad 6N we have finished the season with the European and Magners League champions coming from Ireland!
Grand Slam Saturday!