Started by anportmorforjfc, May 15, 2008, 01:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

This is Andy Gray's and Jamie redknapps selection

David James

Glen Johnson       Rio Ferdinand     Martin Laursen     Joleon Lescott

Cesc Fabregas       Mathieu Flamini      Steven Gerrard

Cristiano Ronaldo     Fernando Torres    Ashley Young

Good team but i dont think Steven Gerrard or Glen Johnston should be included.  Any thoughts?

maxpower

Decent team, i only watch games involving Man utd so not in best position to pick a team of the year but i would have thought Evra would have been there or thereabouts.  He's been exceptional this year, Vidic is also unlucky but i def have Rio in ahead of him.
What happens next????

Minder

Glen Johnson would have been in most "best teams" if he played for the top 4, he has been very impressive this year. Lescotts goal return has been sensational for a defender.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

good team. infact i think its a better reflection than the team that tube crooks picked on the bbc website.  yet both teams had Stevie G in them... did i miss something? i dont think he would have merited an inclusion anyway!

Minder

Quote from: lurganblue on May 15, 2008, 01:13:17 PM
good team. infact i think its a better reflection than the team that tube crooks picked on the bbc website.  yet both teams had Stevie G in them... did i miss something? i dont think he would have merited an inclusion anyway!

Thats the thing Lurganblue, it is their opinion, not yours......

spiritof91and94

Bacary Sagna and Patrice Evra the two best wing in the premiership without doubt. imo

lurganblue

ok here is crooks´team

DAVID JAMES (Portsmouth)

His selection emphasises the season he has had - he has regained the England number one spot and I agree with that.

James has been instrumental in Portsmouth's progression to the FA Cup final and, for me, the stand-out game was their win at Manchester United, where he was outstanding.

Like all goalkeepers he gets better with age. All keepers are susceptible to the odd clanger but he seems to have overcome the unreliable tag for a wonderful season and to win the FA Cup would be a fitting end.

BACARY SAGNA (Arsenal)

Phil Neville was also in contention, being in the unique position of being a midfielder or a right-back, but as a consequence it was hard to put him in either position, so I have gone for Sagna.

The injury he sustained at Chelsea has put him at disadvantage but I have given my vote to Sagna.

He was having a fantastic year until he picked up the ankle problem and that injury, along with Eduardo's, may have cost Arsenal the title.

PATRICE EVRA (Manchester United)

He gets in the team just ahead of Gael Clichy of Arsenal.

They were neck and neck all season but it is hard not to go with him as he is a championship winner.

I have tried very had through the year to focus on my team of the week votes but I have also had to take into account where teams finished and what they achieved.

RIO FERDINAND (Manchester United)

Rio is in the team of the season for the second year running, he is Manchester United and now England captain and I would have him as the skipper of this team too. He has had another magnificent season.

RICARDO CARVALHO (Chelsea)

Carvalho has been an unsung hero, a silent and consistent force in Chelsea's back four throughout the whole year - their rock.

He was also their player of the year and if he stands out among that lot, he must be pretty good.

CRISTIANO RONALDO (Manchester United)

Simply the best player in the world at the moment. That's it.

STEVEN GERRARD (Liverpool)

Alongside Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard is the only player to make my team of the season for the second season running, which demonstrates his amazing consistency.

CESC FABREGAS (Arsenal)

He has put in some outstanding performances for Arsenal this season. Their future success depends upon his future at the club.

MICHAEL BALLACK (Chelsea)

He won a lot of team of the week selections in the last third of the season and it was always Chelsea's biggest matches - he is clearly a player for the big occasion. If Chelsea win the Champions League, it will centre on him.

FERNANDO TORRES (Liverpool)

He just edges out Emmanuel Adebayor and Roque Santa Cruz, both of whom won a number of weekly selections, but the Spaniard's performances and goals for Liverpool have been the driving force for the Merseysiders this season.

I don't think Benitez's rotation policy has helped but he has still had a fantastic season in spite of that and has adapted to English football superbly.

WAYNE ROONEY (Manchester United)

He has picked up team of the week nominations almost unnoticed. I'm quite surprised he was up there but clearly his contributions and goals have come at a vital time for United.

Ronaldo's performances have eclipsed everyone this season, including him, but Rooney has obviously had sufficient goals and games to warrant selection.

He just edged out Yakubu, who had a fantastic season.

corn02

You have to ask questions when the champion only have two players.

lurganblue

Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2008, 01:17:01 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 15, 2008, 01:13:17 PM

Thats the thing Lurganblue, it is their opinion, not yours......

aye but i´m expressing mine now...
i obviously didnt see all the games he played in this season hence me asking did i miss something? from what little i saw he wouldnt make it

Uladh

Minder

Whenever Crooks mentioned the words "Phil Neville" i knew we could disregard it.........I dont think Rooney would be in too many peoples best XI's either, unless you support United.

lurganblue

i agree. i wouldnt have rooney in there either. if you are going for a 442 like crooks it has to be torres and Adebayor, who suprisingly makes neither team.

David McKeown

Always find Crooks team strange. Last year he didnt pick Ronaldo who won PFA and writers and young player of the year that year.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Billys Boots

QuoteHe was having a fantastic year until he picked up the ankle problem and that injury, along with Eduardo's, may have cost Arsenal the title.

Re. Sagna, I stopped reading after that ...  ::)

Arsenal didn't win the title (in my view anyway) because their defensive midfield set-up (Flamini) was not in the same league as Makalele or Hargreaves (or Mascherano, for that matter).  Sagna didn't help but they had (some) cover for him.  Eduardo's injury was irrelevant.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dannymcfella

David James

Glen Johnson      Rio Ferdinand     Joleon Lescott    Patrice Evra

Cristiano Ronaldo    Cesc Fabregas       Mathieu Flamini      Ashley Young

Fernando Torres    Emmanuel Adebayor

I know Lescott played at left back for most of the season but I wanted to include Evra as I thought he has been exceptional and Lescott is primarily a centre half, which meant I left Vidic out