Premier league team of the season

Started by anportmorforjfc, May 15, 2008, 01:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 15, 2008, 11:18:11 PM
As much of a clown as Ferdinand is at times, he is playing better than any other centre-half in world football this last few months.

And you have watched copious amounts of World Football to make this bold statement I'm sure?
Big on German/Italian/Spainish/South American/African/Asian etc etc football are you?
Where do you get the time  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Yes I Would

None taken Minus!

Still to be convinced by Wio, admit he has become a much better player since Vidic has come inat centre half, but against Barcelona thought Brown looked the more accomplished, and think Rio went walkabout against Boro without Vidic to hold his hand.

ExiledGael

Don't see too much African or Asian club football, and going by comparative standard I don't think they've too many world class players on the go but I have been known to watch quite a bit of soccer.
See a bit of the South American football, and regularly see League 1 in France, Bundesliga, Serie A and the Primera in Spain, I see enough. It's well enough known who are considered the best defenders in the world anyway, a number in the Premier League have not been near their best. Lucio has been woeful at times for Bayern Munich. Cannavaro the same in Spain. Sergio Ramos is well overrated just because he scores a bit, and Puyol is another limited centre-half.
Caceres and Ayala have done well for Villareal but not near enough on any decent level to say they're better than Ferdinand. Nesta and Materazzi are also nowhere near their best. AC Milan are almost certainly going to have to make do with the UEFA cup next season and Inter are trying their best to throw away the League, with Materazzi the biggest culprit, and he showed at Anfield how good he is against a world class forward.
The next best to Ferdinand lately is probably Carvalho, on the last few months' form.
Is this not a discussion board anyway, think I'm entitled enough to make an opinion.

Agree that Ferdinand has looked the part with Vidic alongside to do the dirty work. Ferdinand will never put his head in where it hurts like Vidic, but mostly because he doesn't have to as his pace, timing, anticipation and positioning is better than that of his partner. The two are a perfect match, where one falls short the other excells.

RedandGreenSniper

The Ferdinand Vidic argument is, I think, a very close one. I prefer Vidic myself but think Ferdinand had the better season.
Agree with Exiled Gael that they are an ideal complimentary match.
Can't believe neither Joe Cole or Michael Essien have been mentioned, thought they had great seasons . . .

Team of the year I'd pick would be

James

Johnson  Ferdinand   Carvalho  Clichy

Ronaldo  Fabregas  Essien  Joe Cole

Torres Tevez
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 16, 2008, 02:30:41 AM
The Ferdinand Vidic argument is, I think, a very close one. I prefer Vidic myself but think Ferdinand had the better season.
Agree with Exiled Gael that they are an ideal complimentary match.
Can't believe neither Joe Cole or Michael Essien have been mentioned, thought they had great seasons . . .

Team of the year I'd pick would be

James

Johnson  Ferdinand   Carvalho  Clichy

Ronaldo  Fabregas  Essien  Joe Cole

Torres Tevez

Good team but would u be a chelsea supporter (Joe Cole + carvalho)