Paramilitaries Still targetting GAA members

Started by passedit, May 13, 2008, 08:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Donagh on May 13, 2008, 11:47:29 AM
For years we had unionists telling us that the IRA targeted the RUC and UDR in border areas because they were Protestant, not because they were members of the members of Brit paramilitary forces. Now we have them telling us PSNI officers are being targeted because they are members of that organisation and not because of their religion or membership of other groups. Go figure...

Looks like they are no closer to understanding out the thinking outside their own community than they were 20 years ago.

Riiight...

A couple of questions:

1 - From where did you pick up EG's view of the murder/attempted murder of police officers during the Troubles?
2 - When did EG become 'them'?

You don't even bother attempting to veil your prejudice anymore ::)

MW

Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2008, 07:34:14 PMIt was estimated by the British Army, that at any given time, some 15% (>1000) of them were members of the more extreme Loyalist paramilitaries the UDA and UVF

No it wasn't.

Rossfan

Quote from: MW on May 13, 2008, 08:47:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2008, 07:34:14 PMIt was estimated by the British Army, that at any given time, some 15% (>1000) of them were members of the more extreme Loyalist paramilitaries the UDA and UVF

No it wasn't.

I would have thought it was about 50% of them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MW

Quote from: Rossfan on May 13, 2008, 10:08:40 PM
Quote from: MW on May 13, 2008, 08:47:46 PM

No it wasn't.

I would have thought it was about 50% of them.

Drop a zero.

'Subversion in the UDR' (1973) said:

"It seems likely that a significant proportion (perhaps five per cent - in some areas as high as 15 per cent) of UDR soldiers will also be members of the UDA, Vanguard service corps, Orange Volunteers or UVF. Subversion will not occur in every case but there will be a passing on of information and training methods in many cases and a few subversives may conspire to 'leak' arms and ammunition to Protestant extremist groups"

A completely unacceptable situation. Which doesn't need to be over-egged by stating "15%" as the figure, saying "at any given time" rather than a snapshot in 1973 (when 'loyalist' paramilitary membership was at its height and vetting laxest) or ignoring the reference to the Orange Volunteers ('doomsday' group) and the VSC (Bill Craig's outriders, similar to Paisley's later 'Thrid Force) :-\

Main Street

Pathetic,  jumping in to make some pedantic correction to minimize the acceptable level of collusion by the hated militant vanguard of Unionists with their murder squads.

EC Unique

Would have thought it much higher at stages of 'the troubles'. Maybe 60-80%. Would not read much into figures released by British forces ::)

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: MW on May 13, 2008, 10:24:46 PM
A completely unacceptable situation. Which doesn't need to be over-egged by stating "15%" as the figure, saying "at any given time" rather than a snapshot in 1973 (when 'loyalist' paramilitary membership was at its height and vetting laxest) or ignoring the reference to the Orange Volunteers ('doomsday' group) and the VSC (Bill Craig's outriders, similar to Paisley's later 'Thrid Force) :-\

Allied with the low-level intimidation (a very pertinent issue for GAA members) and the large number of terrorist convictions (circa 300) it makes for a sc**bag force.  Being a "softie southerner" looking in I never agreed with the republican tarring of all an sundry in the British forces but these guys were beyond the pale.

/Jim.

The Iceman

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 13, 2008, 07:24:16 PM

Iceman, he has said himself previously that Tony Fearon is the reason he joined.

then why isn't he banned from the boards if he is only here to stir up shite?

mods?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

MW

Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2008, 11:44:18 PM
Pathetic,  jumping in to make some pedantic correction to minimize the acceptable level of collusion by the hated militant vanguard of Unionists with their murder squads.

What part of the words "competely unacceptable" do you not understand? ::)

Hardly pedantic either, given there was very little level of accuracy in your claim.

As for "pathetic", see your rush to have a go at the UDR on a thread about republican terrorists trying to murder a police officer who is also a member of the GAA.

MW

Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2008, 11:21:54 AM
Would have thought it much higher at stages of 'the troubles'. Maybe 60-80%.

Which stages of the Troubles, do you think? This was 1973, when loyalist paramilitary mass membership was at its height. And vetting was at its laxest.

Would not read much into figures released by British forces ::)

The figures are from an internal intelligence report, they weren't "released by British forces".

MW

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 14, 2008, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: MW on May 13, 2008, 10:24:46 PM

Allied with the low-level intimidation (a very pertinent issue for GAA members) and the large number of terrorist convictions (circa 300) it makes for a sc**bag force.  Being a "softie southerner" looking in I never agreed with the republican tarring of all an sundry in the British forces but these guys were beyond the pale.

/Jim.

I take on board your perception and probable access to people's experiences but aren't you tarring all of them with the actions of the "subversives"?

Anyway, trying to turn this thread into a debate on the UDR. I just dislike the shoddy misuse of "evidence" such as above (reminded me of John O'Dowd using the report to claim the army had said "at least 15% of the were loyalist paramilitaries").

Main Street

Quote from: MW on May 14, 2008, 10:37:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2008, 11:44:18 PM

What part of the words "competely unacceptable" do you not understand? ::)

Hardly pedantic either, given there was very little level of accuracy in your claim.

As for "pathetic", see your rush to have a go at the UDR on a thread about republican terrorists trying to murder a police officer who is also a member of the GAA.
No the twist was some OWC fxckwit trying to explain that he was targeted because he was a police man ;D
Which brought up a load of memories.
Then that fxckwit caught with his pants down, in a side step, tried to widen the debate.
All too predictible and hypocritical.
UDR were unionist scum, from its B Special beginnings to its end and from top to bottom.
Go take your moralising crusade somewhere else.

Evil Genius

Quote from: The Iceman on May 14, 2008, 07:58:54 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 13, 2008, 07:24:16 PM

Iceman, he has said himself previously that Tony Fearon is the reason he joined.

then why isn't he banned from the boards if he is only here to stir up shite?

mods?

HHNB - I did not say that TF is "the reason I joined" - like most people, I was minded to join for a number of reasons, the chief of which was "One Small Step". As to why I continue, there are also a number of reasons, one of which is to counter Fearon's lies, fabrications and general propaganda against me and my fellow NI soccer supporters.

Iceman - For the record, I made a couple of posts on this thread (#5, #9) which dealt directly with the topic. You replied in kind (#20), which I happily acknowledged when I came back in the same spirit (#23). At this point, however, you ceased to address the subject and became personal, by trying to divert the subject onto me and my motivation for posting etc. That is bad enough, but for you then to start invoking the Mods etc, after egging on by HHNB, cheapens the debate considerably (imo). Or didn't you note when I posted that "nobody likes a sneak"?

Anyhow, if the Mods are not happy with my posting etc, then I'm sure they know how to find me. In the meantime, I don't have to answer to you (or HHNB) for my membership of this forum or for my motivation for posting, and I will try to resist descending to your level, even when called a "fraud" (by you), a "liar" (HHNB) or a "bigot" (Donagh) on this thread alone.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"