Paramilitaries Still targetting GAA members

Started by passedit, May 13, 2008, 08:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

"Oh look, a thread has been here all day and it only has 15 replies. What does that tell you?"

What a nob!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on May 13, 2008, 04:03:25 PM
"Oh look, a thread has been here all day and it only has 15 replies. What does that tell you?"

What a nob!

Wouldn't like to speculate what is says about the other posters on this forum, but from your studied refusal even to acknowledge posts # 7, 9 and 10 of this thread, I'd say it tells everyone that you don't like having to stick to the point when it proves inconvenient.

Much prefer to "lurk" elsewhere, in the hope of digging up something else to avoid the question? ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Boolerhead Mel

Evil Genius

Please in future if you are going to link to an article written by Jim Cusack could you please let us know in advance who has written it-just so I can avoid wasting a few seconds of my time. The man  and truth are far removed. I can't be arsed listing the shite and lies he has written in the past.I'm sure somebody here might. I guess the "genodical killer" bit should have given it away. What happened in the north could never be referred to genocide. Same applies to the equally ridiculous claims of ethic cleansing along the Border.     

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 13, 2008, 04:33:00 PM
Quote from: Donagh on May 13, 2008, 04:03:25 PM

What a nob!

Wouldn't like to speculate what is says about the other posters on this forum, but from your studied refusal even to acknowledge posts # 7, 9 and 10 of this thread, I'd say it tells everyone that you don't like having to stick to the point when it proves inconvenient.

Much prefer to "lurk" elsewhere, in the hope of digging up something else to avoid the question? ::)

Just saying you'd need to be an awful dick to post something along those lines and then feel like an awful twat to have it thrown back in your face, twice. One would have thought an oul windbag forum slut would have known not to resort to such drivel after being so spectacularly shot the first time.

The Iceman

EG seeing as you are so annoyed that nobody has addressed your posts let me.

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 13, 2008, 11:34:28 AM
The headline is disingenuous at best, deliberately misleading at worst. Or does Passedit consider that this man was targeted because he is a GAA Member?
I think it would be fair to say that Passedit labeled his post as above due to the fact that this is a GAA board.  Yes this man was targeted because he was a Police Officer, but the majority of people on this board aren't really interested in the Police in general.  We are interested, however, in any news affecting fellow gaels.

And by his use of the word "still", does this imply that the people who committed this attack have in the past been responsible for attempting to murder GAA members?
I don't think Passedit knows who committed this attack or precious ones so whats the point of your question? I think you read too much into too many posts on this board and are immediately on the counter attack without merit.

If this officer was also interested in e.g. Birdwatching, would this produce the headline: "Paramilitaries take to targeting ornithologists"?
Probably on an ornithologists website - yes.

What title would Passedit have used had the bomb gone off whilst this man had e.g. his children in the car? Or was giving some of his fellow GAA Members a lift to training? Or their children?
Maybe Dissidents target GAA man and his family/ Dissidents Target GAA men / Dissidents Target GAA coach and kids.  How's that? Whats your point?

Quite simply, this man will have been targeted because he is a police officer.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

The fact that he is also RC and a GAA member may be a "bonus", in that intimidating members of that community from serving in the police is a first step towards isolating the police from the community which they seek to serve. Plus, of course, if he lives in a predominantly Nationalist community, or even a mixed one, his whereabouts and movements are more likely to be known to the perpetrators than if he lived in a predominantly Unionist area. And past experience has demonstrated that given a choice between a "soft" target which offers a good chance of escape, and a "harder" target which increases the chance of detection, terrorists invariably choose the former.

Anyhow, if we were ever to reach a stage where every RC/Nat/GAA member of the PSNI were either murdered or intimidated off the force, would the perpetrators then cease their campaign?
No they probably wouldn't.  So again what is your point?

Or would you be reduced to renaming your threads something like: "Paramilitaries Still targeting Soccer players", every time "Trevor Plod" gets blown up?

I have marked my answers in red because you seem to see everything through tinted glasses.  Not unionist glasses before you go off on that tangent, but just aggressive ones.  You look for the bad in every post whether it is there or not simply to stir up shite.  The very fact that you are on this board at all is a testament to that fact.  Looking back over the majority of your contributions to discussions on here you seem to love arguments rather than discussion and I just wonder what your ultimate goal is?

Why do you feel the need to be a member of this discussion board?
What is your motivation?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Evil Genius

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on May 13, 2008, 04:41:28 PM
Evil Genius

Please in future if you are going to link to an article written by Jim Cusack could you please let us know in advance who has written it-just so I can avoid wasting a few seconds of my time. The man  and truth are far removed. I can't be arsed listing the shite and lies he has written in the past.I'm sure somebody here might. I guess the "genodical killer" bit should have given it away. What happened in the north could never be referred to genocide. Same applies to the equally ridiculous claims of ethic cleansing along the Border.     

You could have saved another few seconds of your time by not bothering to post the above, as well. So you don't like Cusack, or what he writes. Fine. I personally have no opinion on him either way, but I thought the individual piece I linked had a lot of merit.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Iceman on May 13, 2008, 05:00:08 PM
What is your motivation?

Allow me as EG will not give an honest and true answer, shockingly.

1) Revenge on Tony Fearon, this is why he joined in the first place.

2) to wind up the taigs on the GAA site while his fans on OWC holler and whoop about it.
(note I did not say everyone on OWC, before the decent posters from OWC protest)

Its funny how some people come over from OWC and get on fine with most posters (with the odd exception) yet some just seem to constantly argue with people.

He must be frustrated at this as it proves it isnt that he is a Unionist or OWC fan that earns him the reaction he gets, its his unpleasant personality.

In the words of BA Baracus, I pity the fool  :D
Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

EG seeing as you are so annoyed that nobody has addressed your posts let me.

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 13, 2008, 11:34:28 AM
The headline is disingenuous at best, deliberately misleading at worst. Or does Passedit consider that this man was targeted because he is a GAA Member?
I think it would be fair to say that Passedit labeled his post as above due to the fact that this is a GAA board.  Yes this man was targeted because he was a Police Officer, but the majority of people on this board aren't really interested in the Police in general.  We are interested, however, in any news affecting fellow gaels.

And by his use of the word "still", does this imply that the people who committed this attack have in the past been responsible for attempting to murder GAA members?
I don't think Passedit knows who committed this attack or precious ones so whats the point of your question? I think you read too much into too many posts on this board and are immediately on the counter attack without merit.

If this officer was also interested in e.g. Birdwatching, would this produce the headline: "Paramilitaries take to targeting ornithologists"?
Probably on an ornithologists website - yes.

What title would Passedit have used had the bomb gone off whilst this man had e.g. his children in the car? Or was giving some of his fellow GAA Members a lift to training? Or their children?
Maybe Dissidents target GAA man and his family/ Dissidents Target GAA men / Dissidents Target GAA coach and kids.  How's that? Whats your point?

Quite simply, this man will have been targeted because he is a police officer.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

The fact that he is also RC and a GAA member may be a "bonus", in that intimidating members of that community from serving in the police is a first step towards isolating the police from the community which they seek to serve. Plus, of course, if he lives in a predominantly Nationalist community, or even a mixed one, his whereabouts and movements are more likely to be known to the perpetrators than if he lived in a predominantly Unionist area. And past experience has demonstrated that given a choice between a "soft" target which offers a good chance of escape, and a "harder" target which increases the chance of detection, terrorists invariably choose the former.

Anyhow, if we were ever to reach a stage where every RC/Nat/GAA member of the PSNI were either murdered or intimidated off the force, would the perpetrators then cease their campaign?
No they probably wouldn't.  So again what is your point?

Or would you be reduced to renaming your threads something like: "Paramilitaries Still targeting Soccer players", every time "Trevor Plod" gets blown up?

I have marked my answers in red because you seem to see everything through tinted glasses. 

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post. I guess the overall point I am making on this particular thread could best be summed up when I wrote:
"In the end, tactical considerations might dictate the order in which their opponents are attacked, but the terrorists' strategy remains the same, whether we are talking about the Provos or the Dissidents (or their "Loyalist" counterparts, for that matter). That is, use terror to destroy or drive out anyone who insists on pursuing a different political path"
As I see it, this poor man was likely targeted primarily because he is a police officer, with the "bonus" being that he is also Catholic (i.e. drive a wedge). I would guess that it is a matter of (slight) regret to his would-be murderers that he is also a "Gael", since it makes it harder for them to maintain the fiction that their "war" is only with the "Brits" (irrespective of religion). Still, needs must... >:(
Anyhow, it is in this context that I originally questioned the title of the thread, since I find it disingenuous to the point of misleading.

I have marked my answers in red because you seem to see everything through tinted glasses.  Not unionist glasses before you go off on that tangent, but just aggressive ones.  You look for the bad in every post whether it is there or not simply to stir up shite.  The very fact that you are on this board at all is a testament to that fact.  Looking back over the majority of your contributions to discussions on here you seem to love arguments rather than discussion and I just wonder what your ultimate goal is?
As for my posting style, perhaps I am overly aggressive. Then again, seeing as I get abused so starkly for daring to question the orthodoxy, then my only other resort is either to complain to the Mods etc, which I prefer not to (let's face it, no-one likes a sneak) or stop posting altogether and return to a more "natural" environment, which I think cowardly.

What is your motivation?

I'm tempted to answer your first question with another of my own, namely, why should it be so unusual that an Irishman who is interested in sport and general affairs should want to post on an Irish forum which deals with, ahem, sport and general affairs?  ;)

But I suppose a more accurate answer to both questions may be found here:
www.onesmallstepcampaign.org
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 13, 2008, 05:30:09 PM
What is your motivation?

2) to wind up the taigs on the GAA site while his fans on OWC holler and whoop about it.
(note I did not say everyone on OWC, before the decent posters from OWC protest)

Its funny how some people come over from OWC and get on fine with most posters (with the odd exception) yet some just seem to constantly argue with people.

He must be frustrated at this as it proves it isnt that he is a Unionist or OWC fan that earns him the reaction he gets, its his unpleasant personality.

Had I known you were going to reply on my behalf, I'd not have bothered replying to The Iceman as I did (see #23, above). After all, you anticipated my reply better than I could - virtually word for word.

Well done, 10/10 for effort!
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

passedit

Paramilitaries            =     probably dissident republicans
Still targetting          =     since the start of the troubles paramilitaries have targetted gaa members (usually loyalists but i thought it was ironic that it's now republicans who feel they get bonus points for a fenian GAA member).
GAA members          = the lad plays for the psni gaelic team so i thought it safe to assume he'd paid his subs.

I was going to post this in the GAA side, wish I had now.
Don't Panic

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Donagh on May 13, 2008, 11:47:29 AM
For years we had unionists telling us that the IRA targeted the RUC and UDR in border areas because they were Protestant, not because they were members of the members of Brit paramilitary forces. Now we have them telling us PSNI officers are being targeted because they are members of that organisation and not because of their religion or membership of other groups. Go figure...

Looks like they are no closer to understanding out the thinking outside their own community than they were 20 years ago.

As the Provos killed more RC's than any other organisation during the troubles it wouldn't be fair to brand them purely sectarian. Sectarian certainly, but more bloodthirsty than anything else.

The Iceman

taken from the onesmallstep website as posted by Evil Genius.  I have highlighted the parts in green which I think are significant:

QuoteOne Small Step Campaign Chairman, Trevor Ringland, explained: "A shared future where Northern Ireland can reach its full potential through everyone working together can only be achieved through the will of the community. Therefore we are asking people to think about what they can do personally to help bring an end to division and create a shared future. Anyone who has an idea for a small step can submit it for consideration for the book."

"With the new political settlement, we do have a major opportunity to move forward towards a shared future and the One Small Step Campaign is asking and challenging everyone in society to play their part. There are small steps taking place in the community all of the time to break down barriers and it is important that that process is continued and built upon. The fact is that although significant progress has been made, we do still live in a divided, post-conflict society.

So based on this Evil Genius I am going to stand up and call you a fraud. 
Are you seriously saying that your 'one small step' is to post on a GAA website and aggravate Gaels??
Your posts definitely do not "break down barriers" - in fact most times they only cause further division.

So you still haven't truthfully answered my original question: What motivates you to post here?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 13, 2008, 05:44:41 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 13, 2008, 05:30:09 PM
What is your motivation?

Had I known you were going to reply on my behalf, I'd not have bothered replying to The Iceman as I did (see #23, above). After all, you anticipated my reply better than I could - virtually word for word.

Well done, 10/10 for effort!

No problem, I though for one, it would at least be more truthful that whatever you would come out with, after all, it is a well know fact that Tony Fearon is the reason you came over here, surely even you wont deny that? And fair play, you have been shark like in jumping onto his every post in an attempt to ridicule his taunts. The irony is, for someone who calls himself a "genuis" I would have though it clear that nobody pays attention to Tonys numerous wind ups, but for the gullible few of which you are a member.

The link you posted (rather than actually answer in your own words) as a possible reason is of course quite clearly a joke as you have no intentions of breaking down barriers. You personally have caused more tension than anyone on here (with the exception of Tony) between Unionists and Nationalists.

So cut the crap, oh and dont be sending me any more pm's in reply to this, be a man and say what you have to say in the open.

Iceman, he has said himself previously that Tony Fearon is the reason he joined.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Who were the scummiest of the Loyalist paramilitaries?
My vote goes to the UDR.
Something extra freaky about those thugs walking around in uniforms, armed and paid by the State.
Never batted an eyelid when when one of them got blown away.
It was estimated by the British Army, that at any given time, some 15% (>1000) of them were members of the more extreme Loyalist paramilitaries the UDA and UVF

tyssam5

Quote from: passedit on May 13, 2008, 06:13:03 PM
Paramilitaries            =     probably dissident republicans
Still targetting          =     since the start of the troubles paramilitaries have targetted gaa members (usually loyalists but i thought it was ironic that it's now republicans who feel they get bonus points for a fenian GAA member).
GAA members          = the lad plays for the psni gaelic team so i thought it safe to assume he'd paid his subs.

I was going to post this in the GAA side, wish I had now.

There's a few of us that got the irony I think, good thread title.