Cill Dara v Cill Mhantáin

Started by Dinny Breen, May 12, 2008, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 18, 2008, 08:04:38 PM
Quote from: Uladh on May 18, 2008, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 18, 2008, 03:42:19 PM
Brolly & O'Rourke certainly didn't spare McGeeney anyway and to be fair I think their analysis was spot on.

Love it when mercenaries like him get a pasting

As opposed to Micko....

Nice one Uladh! ;D

2 mercenaries yes.......was quite aware of that

One got an absolute pasting though and I was happy to see him get it.....and the joke is? (Bit worried I have McGeeney's sense of humor  :))
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

MayoMan

Rope will be sold on prescription only for a few weeks in Kildare   :)

johnpower

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 18, 2008, 06:43:20 PM
Single most depressing day watching Kildare football ever. Hard to argue with any comments here and agree with most, every the idiotic ones who just want to stick the knife into Kildare football.

Anyway Kildare's performance should not take away from Wicklow, who are an honest bunch of footballers and have some talent, no one in Kildare under-estimated them and I can see them giving Laois a genuine rattle. Best of luck to you.

Dinny do not despair Kildare real challenge is now ,Great day for Wicklow .well done Micko

Mayoman .Poor Poor taste

magpie seanie

I think thats in poor taste Mayoman. Take it down.

Was thee today and to be honest Wicklow should have won by 10 as Indiana stated. Not taking anything away from Wicklow but Kildare were simply atrocious. I was shocked at how bad they were. A shambles really. Contrast that with Wicklow who were committed, organised and executed their game plan consistenly and under pressure didn't deviate from it. Not Micko's biggest fan but he's done a decent job with these lads and the enthusiasm of the Wicklow support can somewat be put down to the Micko factor. Never thought I'd hear them comfortably out shouting Kildare. Well done Wicklow.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteBrolly & O'Rourke certainly didn't spare McGeeney anyway and to be fair I think their analysis was spot on.

Geezer's hardly a mercenary. He made it quite clear that he'd prefer to have been involved in the management set up of his own county. When the Armagh County board deided not to go for him, he choose the other avenue open to him to start his management career. Wouldn't describe it as mercenary.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Quote from: theskull1 on May 18, 2008, 03:42:19 PM
Brolly & O'Rourke certainly didn't spare McGeeney anyway and to be fair I think their analysis was spot on.

Exactly boy

Can't disagree with that

Mercenaries!

brokencrossbar1

I watched this game with more than a slight interest to see how things went for Kieran and Paul.  To be fair to them I think they have taken on a very difficult task and will find it hard to change the pysche of a group of players who simply are not used to playing anything but football.  I was listening to Eugene Magee and he stated that if given time Geezer will turn it round.  I think the next game will show more about him and Grimley and their ability to manage than yesterday. 

Let's face it O'Dwyer is the master motivator and out thought McGeeney.  Wicklow could not have had it better poised, new manager trying new things with a team who had never played his way before, they are on a crest from last year(even though the league didn't go as well as they would have hoped), the big day out for the Wicklow players in Croke Park and the motivating factor of being the first wicklow team to win there in the championship.   Also Micko is such an infectious man with real enthusiasm that he brings people with him. And if he played the old card, give me one last lash lads before I quit, h could get the extra bit out of them.   

The game against Laois will be a more realistic guiding post to where Wicklow football currently.  If Micko can ground them pretty quickly, (which I believe he can), I think they have a more than decent chance of beating Laois.  They are solid at the back, they have two excellent midfielders who will compete with any pairing in Ireland and in Furlong and your man at n0 10( I cant think of his name)  they have two forwards of genuine class.  Also the no 12 who played a roaming role won a world of ball. 

I do not think at this stage this result vindicates the Armagh county boards decision not to appoint Grimley, but it does cast some serious doubts over the ability of the two of them to manage a team at the highest level.  Once you cut thorugh the bullshit, they were beaten by a 4th division team.  Not only were they beaten but they were beaten out through the gate and never looked like winning.  Brolly and O'Rourke were right in that the team reflected the persona of the manager, they were tight, dour, afraid to lose, whereas Wicklow expressed themselves and seemed to enjoy the game and played with a freedo, in the second half in particular, which belied their experience and status in the status quo of the game.

Well done Wicklow.

thejuice

I like Keiran McGeaney and it was sad to hear him questioning himself when interviewed but I have to say Kildare were really, really awful. It reminded me of their teams pre-Micko. I dont think this attack on both Mick O'Dwyer and Kieran for being merchenaries is justified or fair. Why the hell should Wicklow or any county be forced to appoint managers from within if better is available from elsewhere.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I think it's all been covered already, and I'm not going to stick the knife into a wounded animal this morning. God knows we could end up playing Kildare later on in the summer :D

I'd agree with most of what was said above, but one thing above all else struck me when I was watching it. Kildare seemed to wait for somebody else to do the job for them, instead of having leaders to go and do it themselves. It was very strange. They seemed to be coasting along, almost as if they expected to win the game without trying to win it, if you know what I mean.

On 3 or 4 occasions Kildare had a free or a kick out, and were down by 4 or 5 points. This is late enough into the second half. At the very least you'd expect a bit of urgency, but it was surreal. Lads strolling around. Placing the ball, wiping their hands, looking around, pacing back etc etc. Absolutely no urgency or 'go' about them at all, until the last 4 or 5 minutes, and they were a beaten docket at that stage.

I'm not going to patronise Kildare, a proud county, by saying I felt sorry for them and their fans, but I was very surprised at their mental approach, and I wouldn't like to have been a Kildare man yesterday.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI wouldn't like to have been a Kildare man yesterday.

It's not much better today..

As for the urgency, couldn't agree more. at one stage I was screaming at Conway that he could have kicked 10 fees by the time he kicked one, wouldn't mind he still kicked it bloody wide...
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 19, 2008, 07:49:50 AM
I watched this game with more than a slight interest to see how things went for Kieran and Paul.  To be fair to them I think they have taken on a very difficult task and will find it hard to change the pysche of a group of players who simply are not used to playing anything but football.  I was listening to Eugene Magee and he stated that if given time Geezer will turn it round.  I think the next game will show more about him and Grimley and their ability to manage than yesterday. 

Let's face it O'Dwyer is the master motivator and out thought McGeeney.  Wicklow could not have had it better poised, new manager trying new things with a team who had never played his way before, they are on a crest from last year(even though the league didn't go as well as they would have hoped), the big day out for the Wicklow players in Croke Park and the motivating factor of being the first wicklow team to win there in the championship.   Also Micko is such an infectious man with real enthusiasm that he brings people with him. And if he played the old card, give me one last lash lads before I quit, h could get the extra bit out of them.   

The game against Laois will be a more realistic guiding post to where Wicklow football currently.  If Micko can ground them pretty quickly, (which I believe he can), I think they have a more than decent chance of beating Laois.  They are solid at the back, they have two excellent midfielders who will compete with any pairing in Ireland and in Furlong and your man at n0 10( I cant think of his name)  they have two forwards of genuine class.  Also the no 12 who played a roaming role won a world of ball. 

I do not think at this stage this result vindicates the Armagh county boards decision not to appoint Grimley, but it does cast some serious doubts over the ability of the two of them to manage a team at the highest level.  Once you cut thorugh the bullshit, they were beaten by a 4th division team.  Not only were they beaten but they were beaten out through the gate and never looked like winning.  Brolly and O'Rourke were right in that the team reflected the persona of the manager, they were tight, dour, afraid to lose, whereas Wicklow expressed themselves and seemed to enjoy the game and played with a freedo, in the second half in particular, which belied their experience and status in the status quo of the game.Well done Wicklow.

Spot on Crossbar - Kildare played division 1 football this year - drew with Tyrone in Omagh - how can you then be beaten by a 4th divison side ?

Kildare seemed to be shit scared of losing and didn't play at all. Micko has done a fantastic job with Wicklow and if they never win another game this year, they can point to this one which came after trying for 120 years !!

AZOffaly

How many games have Wicklow played in Croker? This thing of playing early round matches is relatively recent enough, and quite a lot of Wicklow's games would have been in Aughrim/Carlow/Portlaoise/Tullamore etc etc etc. Not taking anything away from them, but this eulogising of Micko is very hard to listen to. Kildare were woeful yesterday. Wicklow played well, at times, although they made an inordinate amount of errors in handpassing etc, especially in the first half, and any other team, or Kildare on any other day, would have beaten them on that alone.

under the bar

Geezers expression while standing on the touch-line much reminded me of his expression in the closing minutes of the 2005 semi-final!

Brolly poking fun at the players long sour faces reflecting the personality of the manager was a bit below the belt!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: under the bar on May 19, 2008, 10:34:55 AM
Geezers expression while standing on the touch-line much reminded me of his expression in the closing minutes of the 2005 semi-final!

Brolly poking fun at the players long sour faces reflecting the personality of the manager was a bit below the belt!

Anything to do with the anti GPAs V the GPA.

INDIANA

i think a major problem for mc geeney will be training players that don't have the manic zeal for training he had. it's very difficult for top class players to train players who weren't as good as them initially. may have been better advised to start at club level, but who knows he could turn it around given 2-3 years. I don't think wicklow will beat laois though. Shoot me down if you want but laois may highlight how bad kildare really were yesterday next day out. Laois are better than people think they are and have bundles of pace all over the pitch. laois by about 5 points for me.