Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: orangeman on May 07, 2008, 05:26:13 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2008, 05:22:47 PM
Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
#

What was the year Tyrone were down to 13 ??

1995 Ulster semi-final ... down to 13 men at halftime and getting beat 8-5 ... ahhhhhhh, great memories of a scorching hot day, the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone", rubbing it in as if the game was already won ... Paul Donnelly leading the fightback and Jody Gormley sticking over the winner to make it, if my memory serves me right, 11-10 ... Carlsberg don't make comebacks, but if they did...

magickingdom

Frank Casey

I am biased of course but Kerry v the Langers is unique. Possibly because of the number of Kerrymen and women living in Cork (improving the gene pool as an act of christian charity) and the fact that we fleece welcome so many langers down to the Kingdom for their holidays.

The fact that Mrs. Casey is from the ultra independent rebellious county of West Cork may have something to do with it as well. :P
KERRY 3:7

ziggysego

Has to be Tyrone v Derry. There's a real bitterness there, the like I've yet to see elsewhere.

Some people from outside the two counties would say Tyrone v Armagh, but there's a deep respect between the two.
Testing Accessibility

Mike Sheehy

Greatest provincial rivalry ?

has to be Munster (Kerry ) v Ulster

ziggysego

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 08:46:49 PM
Greatest provincial rivalry ?

has to be Munster (Kerry ) v Ulster

No rivalry. Ulster has had the upperhand in recent years.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Honestly, the Kerry Board should commission an investigation into why they calf against Ulster opposition in All-Ireland finals.

It's really not a laughing matter any more.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

You should be more concerned about calving in quarter-finals

Mike Sheehy

QuoteNo rivalry. Ulster has had the upperhand in recent years.

All of Ulster = 13 (?) AI , Kerry = 35 AI. Its obvious,  really, who is the winner.

ziggysego

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 09:04:32 PM

All of Ulster = 13 (?) AI , Kerry = 35 AI. Its obvious,  really, who is the winner.

Only has good as the last match.
Testing Accessibility

stevecw

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 07, 2008, 05:50:52 PM
As for our other border counties i have no real grudge withany of them even Kildare believe it or not though the flourbags don't like us for some reason,Tipp or Carlow wouldn't bother me either,Kilkenny would but as there is no chance that Laois could match Kilkenny there is no point in having a grudge with them..

You are obviously from North Laois. There is a serious hatred between Laois & Carlow, more so from south of Laois. The village of Graigecullen, which has no idea which county it belongs to fires this.
Graigue played in Carlow years ago, them moved to play in Laois. Its players play for Laois even tho most of it is in Co Carlow. The village is part of Carlow town really, a bridge is the divide. Still most of graigue is under Carlow co council, and for any post sent there the address is graigecullen, co carlow. Its an odd one, but causes the rivalry between Carlow & Laois.
I remember driving through there on the way to a Leinster Champ game v Westmeath in Portlaoise a few years ago & there were many signs wishing Westmeath luck, and even a couple of Maroon flags flying.. wherever they got them from.
Its just a pity we can't get a strong enough side out to give Laois a decent game on the pitch

Owenmoresider

Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2008, 05:22:47 PM
Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
But did Arsenal not win both cups that year, couldn't have been that bad could it? Surely 1961 was worse, in many respects.... ;D

bennydorano

The one I enjoy watching the most is Dublin v Meath (by a mile), Galway v Mayo does interest me as well.  Kerry v Cork, not so much as the vast majority of the games  I 've ever watched have been poor/hammerings etc..  You certainly dont watch Derry v Tyrone for the football, but I would always feel compelled to watch it.  Armagh v Tyrone is always better than the Derry game as some actual football gets played.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 09:04:32 PM

Ulster have 15 actually Mike ;)

For me, Derry v Tyrone easily, but when you think about it, Tyrone also have Armagh, Donegal, Fermanagh....   Must say something about them  ;)

ONeill

They border a right few counties?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.