Muineacháin v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, April 27, 2008, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Good post GMF, and of course you're well entitled to your opinion, but Q.E.D. means "that which was to have been demonstrated"), whereas you are more lining out "that which is to be demonstrated", so i'll have to mark you down on your grammar I'm afraid! :P

Serious note, Freeman is the worry. Finlay will put over frees etc,  but I think if the games in the fire, he wont pull it out for youse. Even off-form freeman will score 3 -5 points, and if corey isnt dealt with he will have a goal as well i fear. Owens is a massive loss. Its a great feeling seeing a high ball hoofed into the oppo full forward and being able to relax cos you know owens will be there. On sun I'll b be bricking it every time that happens. Murphy could well have a screamer in the middle, i imagine clerkin will be trying to stop him, but on current form that batle will only go one way.

Its my belief that Fermanagh are the better footballing side, I'll be praying for good weather and fast ground, and then I think we'll take yous. If its a scrappy game, then it will be tougher for us, but we're safe enough - sure theres little chance of an USFC game been scrappy  ::)

FermPundit

On paper there is nothing between both sides going into this game. Monaghan will probably be favourites given their good run of last year but that's in the past. Fermanagh reached the AI semi final in 2004 and big things were expected in 05 but it never materialised. I'm not saying Monaghan are over-rated but previous form means nothing. Fermanagh don't fear Monaghan and vice versa. If Barry Owens were fit I'm be confident of a Fermanagh victory but his absence and the lack of a recognised full back with Shane Lyons out injured it means Fermanagh are vulnerable under the high ball. Clucker will take care of Tommy Freeman (i hope) and both teams are evenly matched at midfield. Although the Fermanagh defence conceded 3 goals in the division 3 final they were actually pretty strong throughout the league campaign and Shane Goan is back form suspension as well.

I have to agree that this is probably the best prepared Fermanagh side that I've seen going into the championship in my life time. I've heard nothing but good reports that the players are highly impressed with O'Rourke's professional approach and management style. If we lose on Sunday it certainly won't be for the want of trying from the managment team.

With regards Shane McCabe I believe he's a great addition to the squad. To be fair to the lads who have trained all year I think O'Rourke has no option but to leave him on the bench. Fermanagh are light on forwards so to have another player of McCabe's ability has to be a bonus.

This is going to be an extremely tight game on Sunday and it could go either way. However, given our home advantage and the tactial awareness of O'Rourke from the sideline I'm going for a 3 point Fermanagh victory.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Maguire01

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on May 20, 2008, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: billy the kid on May 20, 2008, 12:58:30 PM
Im gonna go for Fermanagh by 2/3 points.

Think it will be very tight and will be interesting to see which style of football prevails, Fermanaghs positive approach where they try to play football OR Monaghans Negative approach where they try to stop the other team playing football and grind them down.
monaghan are one of the most least negative teams in the country. in fact monaghan and fermanaghs styles are similar. dont know where ur getting this from ye twit ya.

I wouldn't pay much heed to the ramblings of BTK - he has issues with Monaghan and feels the need to make such (consistently negative) contributions on every thread involving the county. I think he's from Derry.  He appears to be very bitter.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: FermPundit on May 20, 2008, 06:59:00 PM
With regards Shane McCabe I believe he's a great addition to the squad. To be fair to the lads who have trained all year I think O'Rourke has no option but to leave him on the bench. Fermanagh are light on forwards so to have another player of McCabe's ability has to be a bonus.

I have to disagree Ferm. I'm not doubting the lads ability but he decided at the start of the year to opt out. It is also known that he resumes pre-season training with Glentoran in early July. All that being said, what message does it send out to the panel members who have put in an immense effort since the start of the season? There's similar chat in Monaghan about bringin a cetain club player back to solve our perceived mid-field problem but I totally disagree. The league is the time for that. If he's not in by now then too late. The system should be firmly in place now and bringin in/back players only upsets the system, in my humble opinion..

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2008, 01:06:51 PM
Dunno what trolling means, but i'm definitely 'childishly egging opinions' (?)

Relax!  :-*
Trolling? (thats Billy the Cry Baby)

You walked like one, talked like one, threw eggs like one, but sorry for the misunderstanding.

haranguerer

Fermpundit, is that just a hunch you have that clucker will be marking freeman, or a bit more? I cant see it myself, we've got other players who could do as good a man-marking job on Freeman, but no other players who can control the game form chb as well as clucker, i reckon thats where he'll be. Wouldnt mind seeing goan pick him up, but as we seen on sun its the ball in thats the problem. The antrim man was winning the battle with johnston til the battle further outfield started to be lost. If theres good ball going into any decent forward, the defender wont have a chance.

GMF, I know the point you're making, but I think this situation is a little different. Everyone knew his commitments from the start, and there was no bad feeling at all about him not being there. The team, esp the forward line hasn't been settled at all, so he wont be disrupting any possible balance, and also, I haven't heard one rumour of discontent about him belatedly joining the squad. When there is opposition,then more harm than good can be done, no matter the talent, but I think that isnt the case here (esp cos cant see him starting).

FermGael

Firstly the Fermanagh county board has not bought Shane McCabe out of his contract with Glen who ever they are.
Fermanagh have such a small pick and McCabe has been on the main reasons why Belcoo have been doing so well the last few years.
He will not start but i think he will be a great option to bring on in the last 20 minutes to stretch the tired Monaghan legs. As far as i know he has been in regular touch with O'Rourke.  Everybody in fermanagh knew about this 3 weeks ago when it was in the reporter.  Shows how long the Irish news sits on a story for.  Some boys there really are lazy journalists

Quote from: haranguerer on May 21, 2008, 09:18:22 AM
Fermpundit, is that just a hunch you have that clucker will be marking freeman, or a bit more? I cant see it myself, we've got other players who could do as good a man-marking job on Freeman, but no other players who can control the game form chb as well as clucker, i reckon thats where he'll be. Wouldnt mind seeing goan pick him up, but as we seen on sun its the ball in thats the problem. The antrim man was winning the battle with johnston til the battle further outfield started to be lost. If theres good ball going into any decent forward, the defender wont have a chance.

I personally think that Clucker will start CHB and the management will see how Goan is coping on Freeman(that's if he is not playing Full back).If clucker plays in the corner that means the Frog will start CHB and on his current form he has not been playing to his usual high standards and does not deserve his place.  We have to keep Kelly, McCluskey and McElroy together because they have been our most consistent line all year and offer us an attacking outlet that will worry Monaghan.
Midfield should be Womble and Sherry with Marty playing at Full forward.  They will rotate them 3 and that will worry the Monaghan Full back.  I think that Womble is a great bet for first goal scorer.  The rest of the forward line is anybodies guess.  E Maguire starts in the corner, would think that R Keenan and M Keenan will also start.  The rest is take your pick.
This is one of the best prepared Fermanagh teams, full stop but we played division 3 football this year.  Monaghan played division 2 and that might be decisive in the end.  The standard is alot better up there.  We might not see the full benfits of O'Rourke's approach until next year.  The game being in Brewster is a big help(it's in some shape, a credit to the Gaels club) and that will help even the balance.  Would not be at all surprised if we are back in Clones next Saturday or Sunday week for the replay!! 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

bingobus

Muineachán

1.  Shane Duffy       
2.  Dessie Mone       
3.  John Paul Mone       
4.  Dermot McArdle       
5.  Damien Freeman (Capt.)    
6.  Darren Hughes       
7.  Paul McGuigan       
8.  Eoin Lennon       
9. Paul Finlay       
10. Dick Clerkin       
11. Stephen Gollogly       
12. Conor McManus                                                                                          
13. Rory Woods       
14. Vincent Corey       
15. Tomás Freeman       

Fir Ionaid

16. Padraig McBennett    
17. Seamus Markey       
18. Gary McEnaney       
19. Raymond Ronaghan    
20. Gary McQuaid       
21. Neil McAdam       
22. Daniel McNally       
23. Colm Flanagan       
24.  Donal Morgan       
25. Brendan McKenna    
26. Martin Corey      
27. Shane Smyth       
28. Ciaran Hanratty       
29. Stephen Fitzpatrick    
30. Shane Mulligan       

Monaghan team as above. Disappointed for own clubman not to keep the keepers spot. Many complain about his kick outs but to me thats daft. Duffys may be longer but don;t think they are as accurate as Butsy's and Butsy is the better pair of hands.

Is Number 20 the new number 30? Can't see McQuaid not starting. Hughes could be the man to miss out. Not many match winners on the bench, bar Hanratty and Ronaghan, no experience or form. Just hope Fermanagh don;t close Freeman out of the game.

tintin25

Any word on the Fermanagh lineup?

FermGael

What ever team that O'Rourke puts in for the paper will not be the team that starts.
He always likes to make one or two wee changes it seems
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Uladh

So that'll be McQuaid at 6, Clerkin at 9 and Finlay at 11 so.

thebandit

No fear of Number 30 starting ;D

Disappointed for Butsy, but Duffy possibly has the edge.

It would be a big shock if McQuaid doesn't start

I think you have it called about right Uladh

Oak Leafer

I think for the good of Ulster football hopefully Fermanagh will prevail. Monaghan ( Armagh 'c' team) are no longer a surprise packet and referees surely can't continue to let them assault opposition forwards. Fermanagh will run at them and try to play gaelic football by the rules. WHo is refereeing the game?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 21, 2008, 04:08:48 PM
I think for the good of Ulster football hopefully Fermanagh will prevail. Monaghan ( Armagh 'c' team) are no longer a surprise packet and referees surely can't continue to let them assault opposition forwards. Fermanagh will run at them and try to play gaelic football by the rules. WHo is refereeing the game?

I really don't get it lads, what's the difference between Kevin McCloy and JP Mone in terms of commitment, or SM Lockhart and Dessie Mone either for that matter? Yes, Dessie was a bit 'eager' against 'poor' Kerry but f*ck me lads, we were playin Kerry in an AI quarter final..

I know I've the rose tinited glasses on but I am not getting this whole Monaghan are a dirty/defensive/cynical,____________ (insert negative here) team. I feel they play an open brand of football who run at teams.. Fermanagh are a very similar style and I think it's a breath of fresh air to be honest.

You can talk all you want Oak Leafer but it was your fellow county man and legend, Eamon Coleman RIP, who said 'Nice boys win naahin'

timmyot501

I don't really care what others think of Monaghan's attitude / tactics etc. I go to all the games and win or lose I enjoy the banter, the day out and the after match analysis.  Just because Dessie was there everytime Mr Bradley turned around last year and didn't let him have a sniff it means we are cynical using underhand tactics.  After his 10 point haul the year before we were hardly going to give him space. 

Anyway enough about non-interesting matters and back to the game on Sunday. I see the Fermanagh team is out now.  Looks strong at a glance

Fermanagh (SFC v Monaghan) - Ronan Gallagher, Shane Goan, Hugh Brady, Peter Sherry, Damien Kelly, Ryan McCluskey, Tommy McElroy, Mark Murphy, Shane McDermott, Ryan Keenan, James Sherry, Mark Little, Eamon Maguire, Martin McGrath, Ciaran McElroy