World Cup or Sam Maguire?

Started by mannix, April 24, 2008, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Seeing Armagh winning Sam again would be unreal, but I think watching Ireland winning the World Cup would give me equal pleasure.  They may be over paid, over hyped primadonnas but like any county player they still have to put the effort in to get to where they are and for that they gain my respect.

Like stephenite and Deel Rover though it is great to win the club AI and it was the proudest sporting moment of my life when we did it in 1997...and 1999(sorry stephenite :P)....and 2000 ;D  Like Kerrymike says, I can't understand why people are happy to stop at 1, it gets sweeter the more you get!

I personally would love to help bring another team to the same stage as a manager.  It may not happen just yet, but maybe...

red hander

As someone who goes to a fair few Ireland matches (mainly away), I'd love to see them win the World Cup, but it still wouldn't be as good as experiencing once (or twice) more what happened on September 28 2003 and September 25 2005 ... no comparison

corn02

Was that when the ice age ended?

AZOffaly

I was a bit spoiled growing up as a young lad, Offaly won All Ireland senior titles in 1981, 1982, 1985 and then 1994 and 1998 when I was a not so young lad. The famine since then has really whetted my appetite, and I fully expect to bawl crying if I am lucky enough to see Offaly win an All Ireland again.

Tankie

I would prefer to see the Irish Rugby team win a World Cup ahead of a Soccer world Cup as the rugby player are both Irish and play their sport in this country. but i would think it would be equal to seeing Dublin win an All - Ireland!
Grand Slam Saturday!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2008, 11:59:24 AM
I was a bit spoiled growing up as a young lad, Offaly won All Ireland senior titles in 1981, 1982, 1985 and then 1994 and 1998 when I was a not so young lad. The famine since then has really whetted my appetite, and I fully expect to bawl crying if I am lucky enough to see Offaly win an All Ireland again.

No need to put an order in for Kleenex then? :P

AZOffaly

Doesn't look like it at the moment anyway :D

ziggysego

Hate to ask, but what would you be doing with the Kleenex?
Testing Accessibility

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Moose

Has to be Mayo winning an All-Ireland, at the end of the day it would mean so much to so many people in Mayo if we did. People have waited all their lifes for an All-Ireland. They haven't waited all their lifes for a World Cup.

From a 5 year old kid to a 90 year old granny, the joy that an All-Ireland would bring is across the board. At the end of the day, that's what its all about.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on April 25, 2008, 12:08:51 PM
Hate to ask, but what would you be doing with the Kleenex?

Ara keep up Ziiggy, give your filthy mind a rest :D I said I'd be bawling crying if Offaly win another All Ireland in my lifetime.

wherefromreferee?

Without question Sam. 1993 on The Hill, then Maghera for a party.  No school the next day cause you're shattered.  Good times.
In your Endo!

ziggysego

The day Greencastle won the All Ireland Club Final at Croke Park in 2007 surpasses anyother feeling, including Tyrone lifing Sam in 2003 and 2005.
Testing Accessibility

doire na raithe

Quote from: Tankie on April 25, 2008, 12:01:03 PM
I would prefer to see the Irish Rugby team win a World Cup ahead of a Soccer world Cup as the rugby player are both Irish and play their sport in this country. but i would think it would be equal to seeing Dublin win an All - Ireland!

I think I must put up a bit of a defence in the midst of this ROI soccer team bashing. Although there have been obvious exceptions which I don't wish to get into, if you play for Ireland (soccer) your Irish. Yes some are born and raised in England but with the adequate family history what gives anyone the right to denounce their Irish citizenship? We should also be honoured that our Irish players are good enough to play at the highest level and in the best league of their sport.

As someone has already mentioned on this thread, there are plenty of you who will happily through your full weight behind a totally foreign soccer team as can be seen from several threads on the general discussion page.

AZOffaly

I don't think many people hate the ROI team doire. The question was whether you would prefer to see your county winning an All Ireland, or Ireland winning a world cup. I would also prefer to see Offaly winning an All Ireland than Liverpool winning anything. Doesn't mean I don't support those other teams as well.