World Cup or Sam Maguire?

Started by mannix, April 24, 2008, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

this is a well trodden path in england with the club vs country debate.
Manchester voted and it was a unanimous
Utd > England.
Ive been to more than a few Ireland games, and ive been on the rollercoaster of a lifetime watching utd home and away, but I wouldnt never ever swap the feeling I had in croke in 2003 or 2005, nothing came close(ole was close), nor will I ever forget the hut in 86,89,95.

When tyrone hit double figures (prob in hurling ) I might re-think it. My fav away match in any sport is watching Tyrone win in Castlebar in days gone by and watching Eugene score direct from a sideline ball, something about it was just right.

some things are just on another level.

Tyrone>Ireland (sporting wise)
Its Grim up North

ziggysego

Too right AFR.

Nothing, even Sam, comes close to 2007 for me.
Testing Accessibility

Kerry Mike

You can never get enough of meeting Mr Samuel Maguire.

No matter how many times you win it the next time is always special. But I can understand the drive to win even just once, hope every county does that sometime, even some of the ones we have lost have been special or historical in one way or another, 1947 in NY, 1960 first Ulster winners, 1982 and the auld 5 in a row dream shattered, 2002 Armagh's first and only win.

Went to Japan & Korea in 2002 in the great hope that maybe there was a chance with a full team and a bit of luck we might be the dark horses, then the LANGER walked and the rest as they say is history, we are as close to winning the World Cup now as Kerry are of winning the Hurling All Ireland, but at least we have 1891 to look back on.

After winning the Rugby European Cup in 2006, I only really have one sporting ambition left, Kerry to win the Liam McCarthy, beating Cork in the final. What a sweet day that would be.

Until that day we will strive to keep Sam Óg on his holidays in the Kingdom.
1903, '04, '09, '13, '14, '24, '26, '29-32, '37, '39-41, '46, '53, '55, '59, '62, '69, '70, '75, '78-81, '84-86, '97, '00, '04, '06, '07

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

full back

Would take Sam over the WC, but it so so far away now there is no point in even dreaming about it (the world cup).
A 2nd Sam would be super but I would take success for the club before Sam any day of the week

5 Sams

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 24, 2008, 11:26:24 PM
You can never get enough of meeting Mr Samuel Maguire.

No matter how many times you win it the next time is always special. But I can understand the drive to win even just once, hope every county does that sometime, even some of the ones we have lost have been special or historical in one way or another, 1947 in NY, 1960 first Ulster winners, 1982 and the auld 5 in a row dream shattered, 2002 Armagh's first and only win.

Went to Japan & Korea in 2002 in the great hope that maybe there was a chance with a full team and a bit of luck we might be the dark horses, then the LANGER walked and the rest as they say is history, we are as close to winning the World Cup now as Kerry are of winning the Hurling All Ireland, but at least we have 1891 to look back on.

After winning the Rugby European Cup in 2006, I only really have one sporting ambition left, Kerry to win the Liam McCarthy, beating Cork in the final. What a sweet day that would be.

Until that day we will strive to keep Sam Óg on his holidays in the Kingdom.
1903, '04, '09, '13, '14, '24, '26, '29-32, '37, '39-41, '46, '53, '55, '59, '62, '69, '70, '75, '78-81, '84-86, '97, '00, '04, '06, '07

Fukit Mike you have summed it up completey ......we have five....f**k the World Cup..the Heineken Cup....the European Champo...the World Snooker Champo..the Masters...I want 6...because i can go up to one of them lads and say well done MATE......one of my friends will have a celtic cross....that'll be some feeling...one I'm sure you have experienced already.
The Aristocrat Years

stephenite

Sam every time for this question - but seeing the club win the All Ireland was the absolute pinnacle. Nothing can touch that

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stpauls

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 24, 2008, 11:26:24 PM
2002 Armagh's first and only win.

i have a couple of friends from Kerry, and they all say the same thing, they may have lost to us that day, but they didn't mind that in the slightest, as it was the first one for us, and hopefully not the last!

for me this is a no brainer, Sam and nothing else, but as full back says, a Club All-Ireland, Junior in our case, would be just that little bit more special, especially if i was still playing!!  ;D

the Deel Rover

its a no brainer really has to be  sam or liam mc carthy  however winning the Ai club title is as good as it gets one of the best days of my life the day we won it in 2001 :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 25, 2008, 09:56:31 AM
its a no brainer really has to be  sam or liam mc carthy  however winning the Ai club title is as good as it gets one of the best days of my life the day we won it in 2001 :)

How would you know? :D You have no comparative data unless you are about 65 years of age at least :D

(I hate to keep picking on Mayo men, but you leave yourself open to it. Keep the guard up1)

the Deel Rover

Az that a low blow  :D the question was which would we prefer to win so give me  sam any day of the week over a bloody world cup  ;) also any chance that kerry might just concentrate on soccer for the next century or two and maybe my wish will come through
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

I'm not talking about that. Obviously Sam or Liam would be better than soccer :D What I'm slagging you about is you said 'however winning the Ai club title is as good as it gets'. You can't know that until ye win Sam, or Liam, and compare the two feelings :D

The Watcher Pat

Ireland Have more chance of winning the World cup than Antrim have winning Sam...So i'll go with the odd's and take Ireland to win the WC.....Though if this ever happens i will gladly eat this computer............. :P
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

bennydorano

My pecking order at the minute
A County Championship (been 17 yrs)
An Ulster Club :o
An All Ireland Club :o
Sam

Dont support ROI, NI abu :P

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2008, 10:17:32 AM
I'm not talking about that. Obviously Sam or Liam would be better than soccer :D What I'm slagging you about is you said 'however winning the Ai club title is as good as it gets'. You can't know that until ye win Sam, or Liam, and compare the two feelings :D
ahhh ok Az the penny drops sorry i'm still half asleep  :D   thing is i Probably won't have any fellings when mayo win the Ai i'll  most likely be 6 foot under :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers