Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on April 29, 2010, 10:26:58 PM
Best of luck with his case but I can't avoid feeling JQ's on a hiding  to nothing.  His case will not stack up at law.  I can only  surmise he has calculated that the publicity gained will help him  endear welcome from the warm arms of GAA to help with his future.  I can't help  having doubts about this case though.  For instance:

1. His  claim of being Mr GAA does not convince me at all.  What has he  done to earn it?  Outside of self-promoting PR, can anyone set out his  true GAA pedigree?  I remember him publishing a book aimed at the  Christmas market on GAA/Soccer/Rugger but ended up giving it away  as nobody bought it.  This, to me, indicated a mercenary attitude showing he is prepared to perform whatever audience would pay.  In the end it  proved another misjudgement. 

2. I suspect that any extra GAA  input (above that of the average 5/8 like you and me) only began when he  entered sports PR?  I stand to be corrected here but what, if anything,  did he do for the GAA before?  Was he a staunch,proactive GAA figure at Omagh where he grew up or did the Mr GAA bit come later? Perhaps the St Enda's faithfull could enlighen  us this?

3. I can't help asking myself why is he  representing himself?  Was no one prepared to take his case - did the  Equality Commission chase him away?  Although I can see how he may have  calculated that self-representation would save on costly legal costs but  does he not realise he could still end up with the BEEB's and if so yet  another serious misjudgement.

Hopefully, although not a  guarantee, his action may lead to enhanced GAA coverage across the NI  Broadcasters but this pendulum could swing either way on the outcome of  this case.

I'm sure Jerome could do without wellwishers like you.

Points one and two of your post miss the point completely, whether you like it or not Jerome was the face of the gaa on british television, that's what the Mr Gaa bit was about not whether he was pulling his weight in any club. It is his association with the sport and the sidelining of that sport by glynn which forms part of his case.

TYP has covered point three but to add, I suspect that Jerome hoped that the BBC would settle before the case got this far to avoid adverse publicity, however they have half of their London Legal department here as, I assume, they have calculated that their stock could not fall any lower within the GAA community.

ps to the ytp scouring these pages for the Irish News, Jeromes point about the 2008 Sports personality award was not who eventually won it but the fact that he had to fight to head off Glynn's attempt to rig the panel against the gaa. He won that battle but obviously lost the war.
Don't Panic

Main Street

Quote from: Ulick on April 30, 2010, 08:23:25 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 30, 2010, 12:07:43 AM
He has admiited he did it... case closed. Whatever his gripes it was a crazy thing to do.

Not quite. Depends on what he said and whether there was process for him to air grievances in house.
Is Jerome is arguing that as part of his case.
I don't know what he owned up to when it is claimed here that he apologised for criticising BBC coverage of the GAA.
If that is the reason the BBC used to justify his sacking then would it not be wise to focus just as much energy on the validity of that, based on the BBC own in-house guidelines/process, as well as providing as much witness as possible to the general agenda against the GAA from inside the BBC?

Main Street

I see the article in the BN goes into more detail on the Tribunal process.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/BBC-39tried-to-exclude-GAA.6257417.jp?articlepage=1

More detail on how the BBC panel was rigged.

on how his sports reporting was selected for criticism
'Mr Quinn said that Mr Glynn accused him of "using too much GAA" on a radio bulletin, when there had been breaking GAA stories. But Mr Quinn outlined several other bulletins from around the same period which were 95 per cent soccer, along with some rugby.

He added that Mr Glynn had "admitted he did not ever say to another reporter that there was too much soccer or rugby" in another bulletin'.

and some on discussion board activity
'He also referred to what he said was the first complaint Mr Glynn had made about him. It related to an internet discussion board on sport which Mr Quinn had been taking part in.

He said a photograph of Mr Glynn was posted followed by comments which Mr Glynn alleged were threatening.

Although his manager had claimed he was directly involved, Mr Quinn denied this strenuously.
And although it was not used as grounds for his dismissal, Mr Quinn felt this had unfairly coloured the preliminary investigation against him.

that bit in bold is puzzling, is that not the reported reason why he was dismissed?

lecale4

In the Onion Bag - I'm glad I don't have a friend like you. Please don't air your dirty linen in public - you are a disgrace!

seafoid

I wonder if Tariq Sadiq is a muslim protestant or a muslim catholic.

cornafean

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on April 29, 2010, 10:26:58 PM
I remember him publishing a book aimed at the  Christmas market on GAA/Soccer/Rugger but ended up giving it away  as nobody bought it. 

Quinn wrote a book in or around 1993 called "Ulster Football & Hurling: The Path of Champions". Its an absolute classic and contains a very well-researched archive of Ulster GAA records, which was only bettered 16 years later by Donal McAnallen's book last winter. Quinn did write a number of Ulster Sports Annuals in the 1990s, of varying quality, but it would be churlish to deny his ability as an author on the basis of one of these efforts.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Main Street on April 30, 2010, 12:53:15 PM
I see the article in the BN goes into more detail on the Tribunal process.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/BBC-39tried-to-exclude-GAA.6257417.jp?articlepage=1

More detail on how the BBC panel was rigged.

on how his sports reporting was selected for criticism
'Mr Quinn said that Mr Glynn accused him of "using too much GAA" on a radio bulletin, when there had been breaking GAA stories. But Mr Quinn outlined several other bulletins from around the same period which were 95 per cent soccer, along with some rugby.

He added that Mr Glynn had "admitted he did not ever say to another reporter that there was too much soccer or rugby" in another bulletin'.

and some on discussion board activity
'He also referred to what he said was the first complaint Mr Glynn had made about him. It related to an internet discussion board on sport which Mr Quinn had been taking part in.

He said a photograph of Mr Glynn was posted followed by comments which Mr Glynn alleged were threatening.

Although his manager had claimed he was directly involved, Mr Quinn denied this strenuously.
And although it was not used as grounds for his dismissal, Mr Quinn felt this had unfairly coloured the preliminary investigation against him.

that bit in bold is puzzling, is that not the reported reason why he was dismissed?

The bit in bold refers specifically to the publication of a photograph of Mr Glynn on the Internet, not the entire issue.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Leo

Maybe I have missed a few posts here but personally I found JQ to be the most boring sports presenter/reporter on the planet - and Logie the most embarrassing.
Both would protray themselves as "Mr GAA" types and maybe get carried away with their own publicity. Their absence from the airways will not diminish the image of the GAA in any way.

The GAA itself is seriously in default in failing to engage iby way of a professional PR approach with both BBC & UTV for the necessary improvement in GAA coverage.
Fierce tame altogether

Minder

Just on the Jerome "Mr GAA" thing, say what you want about Mark Sidebottom but he had always been a very good clubman for us, before he was on the BBC and since, played for our club for years when he was living in Belfast (50 miles away) and has given up a lot of his time freely whenever he has been asked in the last few years.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

ziggysego

Quote from: Main Street on April 30, 2010, 02:44:06 PM
I am Mr GAA.

I thought you were Mr GAA GAA, Lady GAA GAA's other half.
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Quote from: Leo on April 30, 2010, 02:18:44 PM
Maybe I have missed a few posts here but personally I found JQ to be the most boring sports presenter/reporter on the planet - and Logie the most embarrassing.
Both would protray themselves as "Mr GAA" types and maybe get carried away with their own publicity. Their absence from the airways will not diminish the image of the GAA in any way.

The GAA itself is seriously in default in failing to engage iby way of a professional PR approach with both BBC & UTV for the necessary improvement in GAA coverage.

what happened to Logan?

ziggysego

Quote from: seafoid on April 30, 2010, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: Leo on April 30, 2010, 02:18:44 PM

what happened to Logan?

Cut backs at UTV, so Logie was let go.
Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

A lot of anti Jerome sentiment here but I can't help but think it is little more than begrudgery from people who love taking pot shots at people with a public profile regardless of what they may be like.

Main Street

Maybe we could have a rotten tomato event, where board members could produce a 5 minute presentation slot on a GAA topic and upload it for general board inspection. Masks can be worn to preserve anonymity.