Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on April 29, 2010, 09:35:28 AM

Hardly irrelevant. If you are going to sue an employer for discrimination for being Catholic and Irish, it hardly helps your case that your employer actively employs Irish catholics and in fact replaced you with one.

That's like suing an employer for been overlooked for a promotion as you were a woman, when the person who got the job was in fact a woman.

He is bringing a case about himself so how his employers treat others is not a concern in the case, similarly, his employers actions after he left is not a concern in his case. For all anyone knows, others in the company could be suffering the same discrimination as him or they may not be - the case hasn't been proved either way and so cannot have any bearing on his case.

Jimmy ONeill

what was that about the great sean o'neill handing back a jersey to bbc? was it to do with their docunmentary on down's first all ireland and why did he hand it back?

Hardy

Handing back a jersey to the BBC? When did the BBC start giving out jerseys?

boojangles

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2010, 05:18:15 AM
Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2010, 11:50:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2010, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: boojangles on April 27, 2010, 04:08:30 PM
Under what name did Jerome post on here?

Fair play to him anyway. Always struck me as a good GAA man who knew his stuff. Hopefully something good arises out of this for him anyway.

For God's sake nobody answer that.
This is an anonymous forum. Everyone is technically anonymous unless they decide to reveal their username themselves. I would say the BBC or anyone else would have quite a job proving who an anonymous poster on an anonymous website actually was. Especially such a high profile individual given the chance of someone pretending to be him.

Best of luck Jerome.

For God's sake pull your head out of Jerome's ass will ya. I was only asking a question.You don't have to answer it.
If he was posting on here you can be sure the BBC and their reps will have known a long time ago.

I am from Mayo. I am barely aware of him. Nordie celebs are irrelevant to me. I would just be wary of this board grassing, accidently or otherwise. Imagine if 20 guys had come back and posted an identical answer? Thankfully no one was stupid enough to answer your question or we might be hearing it in court.

You could have asked for a PM.

Have you read through the whole thread Muppet? Obviously not.Some people are not as far up Jerome's ass as you Muppet.
If BBC have evidence against Mr Quinn it would be gathered already so don't be so naive Muppet.
If your barely aware of him why do you give a fiddlers about him Muppet?

Who do you recommend that I PM Muppet? All 3000 members??? The answer doesn't bother me that much.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2010, 11:32:01 AM
Handing back a jersey to the BBC? When did the BBC start giving out jerseys?

I seem to remember a horrible brown V necked acrylic one that presenters wore in the late 70s.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

tyroneman

I wonder why the equality commission are not involved in this representing JQ. At a guess either Jerome didn't contact them or he did and they did not believe his case had sufficient merit. It's a shame that more technical details of the case are not available yet as words such as discrimination get bandied about in the media with little clarification on what exactly he is alleging.

For example - if he is alleging discrimination then , generally in such cases,  he would need to have a comparator. If he has established prima facie evidence then  it will more than likley be up to the BBC to defend their actions. stuff like this is more technical than papers report so Without being there you rely on tabloid speculation and / or interpretation.  Very hard to know what to make of it all  and who is right or wrong.

If he was slagging off his employer, especially on work time and using work equipment the. He is Probably on a pretty sticky wicket to begin with although a lot of other factors need to be considered in assessing if the BBC acted "reasonably" or not.

Personally speaking the BBC has a long way to go in terms of GAA broadcasting but are a million miles further on than they were in the late 80s and early 90s.

Not sure if Jeromes case will help or hinder that.

Ulick

My religion was 'elephant in room' at BBC, claims Quinn

Thursday, 29 April 2010
Presenter Jerome Quinn claims he was sacked by BBC because he is an Irish Catholic

The Irish Catholic identity of a BBC Northern Ireland sports presenter was the "elephant in the room" in discussions with senior colleagues, an industrial tribunal was told.

Co Tyrone man Jerome Quinn claims he was unfairly dismissed by BBC Northern Ireland and discriminated against because he was Irish and Catholic.

He was sacked by the BBC — where he had been the self-styled face of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) — in March last year after he was found to be posting online comments criticising the broadcaster's coverage of Gaelic games.

The journalist claims coverage of Gaelic games by BBC Northern Ireland and Radio Ulster had been scaled back and his role diminished when a new head of sport, Shane Glynn, took over around 2005.

The effect of the scaling-back was insulting to people "in the same group" as him in the sports department, Mr Quinn said.

The tribunal heard that in 2007 and 2008 Mr Quinn had informal meetings with four senior colleagues to discuss his concerns about his role.

But under cross-examination by Tariq Sadiq, acting for the BBC on the third day of the industrial tribunal yesterday, Mr Quinn said that he did not raise allegations of discrimination in those meetings.

He said: "To me it was the elephant in the room.

"It was the undercurrent, but to me it was obviously the area we were looking at, but I didn't want to mention it.

"I thought if I mentioned that, it would have gotten round the building.

"It would have been even more detrimental."

As part of the claim process Mr Quinn lodged questionnaires at the BBC but Mr Sadiq said the allegations in the questionnaire were personal and did not back up a claim of indirect discrimination. The barrister said: "It's all about me, me, me, isn't it, Mr Quinn? You refer to 'me' on three occasions.

"A lot of it is about me but the answers I was seeking would have been relevant to Irish Catholics," Mr Quinn said.

In his witness statement, Mr Quinn said: "I appealed to Mr Glynn to rethink his constant downplaying of GAA, which was insulting as well as divisive.

"There was the unhappiness of the GAA at how (news programme) Newsline was enjoying putting the boot into the GAA whenever there was a negative GAA story.

"They cut back their Sunday radio coverage... the institution of Sunday Sports Sound was wiped from the airwaves."

The tribunal is expected to last three weeks.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/my-religion-was-lsquoelephant-in-roomrsquo-at-bbc-claims-quinn-14784760.html

muppet

Quote from: boojangles on April 29, 2010, 11:36:46 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2010, 05:18:15 AM
Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2010, 11:50:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2010, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: boojangles on April 27, 2010, 04:08:30 PM
Under what name did Jerome post on here?

Fair play to him anyway. Always struck me as a good GAA man who knew his stuff. Hopefully something good arises out of this for him anyway.

For God's sake nobody answer that.
This is an anonymous forum. Everyone is technically anonymous unless they decide to reveal their username themselves. I would say the BBC or anyone else would have quite a job proving who an anonymous poster on an anonymous website actually was. Especially such a high profile individual given the chance of someone pretending to be him.

Best of luck Jerome.

For God's sake pull your head out of Jerome's ass will ya. I was only asking a question.You don't have to answer it.
If he was posting on here you can be sure the BBC and their reps will have known a long time ago.

I am from Mayo. I am barely aware of him. Nordie celebs are irrelevant to me. I would just be wary of this board grassing, accidently or otherwise. Imagine if 20 guys had come back and posted an identical answer? Thankfully no one was stupid enough to answer your question or we might be hearing it in court.

You could have asked for a PM.

Have you read through the whole thread Muppet? Obviously not.Some people are not as far up Jerome's ass as you Muppet.
If BBC have evidence against Mr Quinn it would be gathered already so don't be so naive Muppet.
If your barely aware of him why do you give a fiddlers about him Muppet?

Who do you recommend that I PM Muppet? All 3000 members??? The answer doesn't bother me that much.

You are not very bright are you? You could simply post the question you asked but requesting your answer as a PM not a public post. It happens all the time, e.g. the DUP scandals.

As for the evidence, has anyone here seen it yet? The case hasn't finished yet so how do you know the BBC's computer evidence is as they say it is? The naivety here is staggering.

We know they accused him of posting on this board slagging managers. The geniuses here ASSUME the BBC have all the evidence they need to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt. So that's it in a nutshell then? Guilty as charged?

With friends like these.............

MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Its unlikely they took the case to court in the hope that someone on the web would inadvertently provide proof during the hearing of the case, dont you think?

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on April 29, 2010, 02:15:50 PM
Its unlikely they took the case to court in the hope that someone on the web would inadvertently provide proof during the hearing of the case, dont you think?

He is the one taking the case.

All I am doing is cautioning against compromising him.
MWWSI 2017

tyroneman

Maybe I've missed the point here but has JQ not already admitted posting the messages and this led to his sacking??? I didn't think he was denying these allegations then or now

ziggysego

Quote from: tyroneman on April 29, 2010, 04:46:14 PM
Maybe I've missed the point here but has JQ not already admitted posting the messages and this led to his sacking??? I didn't think he was denying these allegations then or now

Correct, he has admitted to that and says he was in the wrong. This is about the BBC attitude towards GAA coverage, compared to other sports.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on April 29, 2010, 04:52:10 PM

Correct, he has admitted to that and says he was in the wrong. This is about the BBC attitude towards GAA coverage, compared to other sports.
And if he did admit it was wrong (and just how wrong was it?) why should it have continued to be an issue for the BBC?
JQ is implying another agenda was at play.
Has he presented any hard evidence or just a collection of circumstances?

DennistheMenace

Eh what difference does it make knowing the alias he posted under when he already admitted to it ?

Lady GAA GAA

Quote from: ziggysego on April 29, 2010, 04:52:10 PM

Why's it at an Employment Tribunal then? You're so far up his hole that you have lost the sight of all reason and logic.