Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Back from the game, and in the bar some people were saying that it was better than Celtic Park in 94. Not sure about that, but it was fantastic anyway. While it has not been easy being a Down supporter over the last ten or 12 years, this was what it is all about. God bless them all, and I can't wait to see Benny's goal on tv.

redandblack4ever

I listened to the game on Five FM. Thank God for the internet. Sounded like a great game. I can't wait to see it on Setanta NA on Tuesday night. UP DOWN!!!!!'

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

laoisgaa

Only two hours or so back and still on the buzz of what was the best game of football I've seen this year - and it's tough saying that after the quality of some of the Sigerson games and Jordanstown's march to success.

Mickey Harte was leaning towards injuries as being an excuse for the loss but as Liam Doyle said afterwards it's not the last we have seen of Tyrone this year and he expects them back around come the latter stages of the All-Ireland Series in August.

Hat's off to Tommy McGuigan - Gabriel Hurl you can be proud of your fellow Ardboe man tonight!! Five points in 13 minutes on the field - that's some ratio - and then goes on and scores another in ET.

Lucky to have seen both games and I did call Down to win the replay, but I have to confess I didn't expect an epic of these proportions!!

Down have the momentum to keep going now - expect Cavan to dispose of Armagh later today - you heard it hear first!

Think I've been converted to Ulster football now, it's going to be hard to watch the rest of the Leinster Championship!

I'd the pleasure of being in the Radio box and was squeezed in beside BBC and RTÉ - Pete McGrath was doing RTÉ's analysis and called it down to a tee - that man's knowledge of the game is simply amazing - the commentators came up pretty much trumps today - Owen McConnon only let himself down by thinking it was Daniel McCartan that got sent off when in fact it was Rafferty - Pauric Lodge gave an excellent commentary too for RTÉ.

I've stuck in my report below - waxed lyrical a bit but felt it was worth it! There's also a pic I took from the Radio Box at the full-time whistle - scenes like an All-Ireland final, certainly beats watching Down playing Cork through a gate the last time I was in Newry!!!!!

Ladies game was an humdinger of an affair too!! Fair play to the Tyrone and Down teams and also the supporters that turned up for that one!

Ulster Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final Replay
Down 1-19
Tyrone 0-21
By Cóilín Duffy

Dramatic, an epic, and superb football on an evening where Down footballers sparkled at Páirc Esler in Newry, a rare victory for the Mournesiders over Tyrone in a magical contest that took extra-time before the hosts eventually emerged one point winners, in this Ulster SFC quarter-final replay.

Down manager Ross Carr may have been given another extended period of 'interim relief' from the DRA, as he awaits further news of his eight-week suspension appeal; but Carr experienced relief of a different sort after this game, as he expressed his delight at the nature of this minimum margin result.

The attendance of 18,272 certainly got full value for their money, although some supporters missed out on the dramatics of the closing stages of normal time and the brilliance by both sides in extra-time, after they felt that they had seen enough in the closing stages of the opening 70 minutes.

A 15 minute delay due to traffic congestion just added to the drama and when referee Pat McEnaney eventually got the game underway at 7:15pm, it was sizzling football from the off.

Down's one-point win over Tyrone resembled more like an All-Ireland victory than a first round Ulster tie, such were the scenes of joy witnessed at the full-time whistle.

Ross Carr's men possessed a never say-die attitude and dug deep as Benny Coulter and man of the match Liam Doyle gave inspirational performances, to cement a semi-final spot against either Armagh or Cavan, who meet in the
final Ulster SFC quarter-final tie this afternoon at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Eager to dismiss the critics view, that Down had left the game behind them in last Sunday's encounter at Healy Park, the hosts began this game with vigour and Ambrose Rodgers set the tone with a fisted point after just 28 seconds.

But Tyrone weren't lying down and responded with three points on the trot, as brothers Colm and Sean Cavanagh shared a trio of scores, and helped Tyrone led by 0-3 to 0-1 after six minutes.

Aidan Carr level the minimum between the sides with a Down score, but this was a firm purple patch by Mickey Harte's charges and with the Cavanagh's, Ryan Mellon and Colm McCullough on song they could do no wrong.

The sides were level on two occasions during that opening half with both sides certainly fuelled up, but it was Sean Cavanagh's second point, which gave his side an 0-8 to 0-7 cushion at the interval.

Both sides had missed opportunities in the opening stages of the second half before Martin Penrose took his only score of the contest, to give Tyrone a two point lead in as many minutes, after the restart.

The sides were level on three occasions inside the middle third but a Liam Doyle effort saw Down brake clear as the game entered the fourth quarter.
Down certainly had the momentum at this stage and when Coulter sent over his second point, with a fisted effort with ten minutes remaining, it sent the large home support into raptures as they broke into a 0-14 to 0-11 lead.

But this game was far from over and the man who orchestrated the comeback was 57th minute substitute Tommy McGuigan, who really turned the game on it's head and miraculously scored five points in the closing 13 minutes, including four unanswered points, with the all important extra-time clinching one in the third minute of injury-time.

Down had been reduced to 14-men at this stage, following the dismissal of half-back Damien Rafferty, who added a second yellow card to his 24th minute one on the stroke of the 70th minute, as the hosts were down a man.

But they were back to a full complement of players for extra-time with Kevin McGuigan replacing the dismissed Rafferty.

However it was Tyrone who burst out of the blocks in extra-time with four points on the trot inside six minutes, with McGuigan, Sean Cavanagh, Philip Jordan and McCullagh all on target.

The switch of Sean Cavanagh to midfield was certainly proving effective, but Down weren't keen to rest on their laurels as corner forward Coulter masterminded a comeback.

Aidan Carr edged Down within three points of the visitors before a Coulter point, and then a fisted goal from the Mayobridge man, coupled with a fifth Liam Doyle point; edged Down into a two point lead, for the first time in extra-time.

Down lead at half-time of extra-time by 1-19 to 0-20, with Down's Under 21 captain this year James Colgan replacing Daniel McCartan at the break.

Tyrone kept pressing hard at a determined Down side in the second half of extra-time, and although Down failed to get a score in the closing ten minutes, they somehow held out for a fabulous win, despite Colm McCullagh taking his fourth point, just 18 seconds after the restart.

The introduction of Colin Holmes promised much for the Red Handers, but Down weren't too be denied and a pitch invasion as the Sun set on Pairc Esler, was a fitting end to a marvellous Down triumph, but they will be aware that no silverware is won in June and a long road lies ahead.

DOWN: B McVeigh; L Howard, D McCartan, P Murphy (0-1); A Carr (0-4, 3f, 1 45), L Doyle (0-5, 5f), D Rafferty; D Gordon (0-1), J Lynch; A Rodgers (0-1), R Murtagh, D Hughes; J Clarke (0-1), R Sexton, B Coulter (1-3). Subs: P McCumiskey for Lynch (46); K McKernan (0-1) for Clarke (52); S Kearney for Murtagh (69); K McGuigan starts in place of sent off Rafferty for ET; J Colgan for McCartan (HTET); J Clarke for Murphy (90)
TYRONE: J Devine; R McMenamin, Justin McMahon, PJ Quinn; D Harte, C Gourley, P Jordan (0-1); C Gormley, Joe McMahon; B Dooher, R Mellon (0-1), C Cavanagh (0-4, 4f); M Penrose (0-1), S Cavanagh (0-4, 1f), C McCullagh (0-4, 1f). Subs: K Hughes for C Cavanagh (inj) (31); P Donnelly for Hughes (46); T McGuigan (0-6, 5f)for Mellon (57); M McGee for Quinn (81); C Holmes for Gourley (82)

REFEREE: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan)

amallon

What a night for Down football, I still haven't made it home from the game.  Any of the Down players I met tonight had a bit of ambition about them they weren't satisfied with tonights win they want more which is real encouraging.  It was a toss up between Paul Murphy and Ambrose for my man of the match.  I still find it hard to belive how the management didn't start Murph the first game.  Whether Dooher is done or just got more than his fill of it from Murph remains to be seen but Murph dominated him tonight.  I'm especially proud of the one legged Benny Coulter for his display tonight, the man doesn't know when to say "I'm injured and can't play".  He has played through the pain many times for the Bridge and he done the same for the county tonight. 

We are no Ulster Champions yet but the buzz is good, the players have displayed a bit of determination and the Down crowd have responded.  We can ask no more....  Come on Down!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

amallon

I forgot to mention Dan McCartan's great performance.  Also someone elso compared this to Celtic Park in 1994, and I feel they are a bit out, the game was very exciting but much more scrappy.  Not close to that classic IMHO.  Too many wides, too many bad touches, not on the same level.

I also have to commend the Tyrone supporters I met over the two games, they gave everything to their team without being abnoxious and whished Down the best at the end.  Fair dues...
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

In the Onion Bag

Agree with Mallon re comparison with 94. Quality of the football was much poorer but yesterday did surpass 94 for intensity,  at no stage did the game go into a sleepy period.  We also got 20 mins more than in 94.

laoisgaa gives a super report above and is correct, this will go down a one of the great epics which either side could have won.  Have checked the postings on this thread during matchtime (they make great reading).  Almost 30 pages in all says something, each subsequent message more emotion filled than the previous.  Made me just glad I was there.

I used to rate this McAneany as one of the country's best but yesterday he failed big time.  His reffing was so poor there were times I thought his decisions could have led to bust-ups.  We can only thank the players who kept their focus and tolerated this inept performance although Down did have the ball moved on against them a couple of times.

I do think Micky Harte's management decisions were poor and probably cost Tyrone the result.  Keeping Sean Cavanagh isolated up front for so long was hari-kiri and deprived Tyrone of their best player despite his 4 pts.  He made a huge difference in the first 1/2 of ET when he went to midfield but  for some reason he was returned to FF for the last 10????

Finally, a word is due to the gracious way the Tyone fans accepted this defeat.  It must have been very disapointing but all I met afterwards were only interested in talking about the epic game no ifs or buts mentioned.

Lecale2

Great game and great entertainment but I'm not sure my heart can stand too many nights like that. Down showed great spirit to come back from 4 down in extra time. I thought they were gone at that stage. This game could have been won by either team or finished in a draw again - it was that close. McAneany was inconsistent and was very kind to Tyrone during the last 5 mins of normal time. Roll on the semi final. It's been a while since we've been able to say that.

Dubh driocht

Some excellent comments and summaries here. Hope the Rover enjoyed his Magners.
I like Tyrone - the team ,management and supporters. They are passionate about their football. So are we. They respect that , and that is why their players,management and supporters were gracious in defeat.
As for performances- there weren't any bad ones .
Paul Murphy is a colossus .Liam Doyle, at his correct position of CHB, is a Rolls Royce defender and a dead-eye dick free-taker.
Ambrose galloped over every blade like a Moneydarragh pony. Aidan Carr is another thoroughbred who shed the father's a legend burden .Kevin Mc Kernan completed that hatrick.Dan has red and black blood.The two Ronans and Daniel must run 15km every game- wish RTE had that software the soccer has. Benny is a God , a legend, the strength of a bull, the determination of two men.John Clarke is the most honest of men, and sums up what's best about Mournemen.
For the first time in my life, I know the three main men behind the team , and if you could bottle the passion these men have for Down football, you could sell it for a fortune. How dare any bollox ever question their integrity.
So, onwards and upwards, sales of Steve Earle and Sharron Shannon will soar, bring on the best from Briffne today and this will be an epic summer.

Uladh

Jesus lads, ye wond a first round match. lay off the glue for another couple of weeks

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Uladh on June 15, 2008, 10:10:01 AM

Jesus lads, ye wond a first round match. lay off the glue for another couple of weeks

Which is more than youse did last year , front or back doors, and I don't think you will get much today in Cavan where the sales of carry-out Buckfast will soar like Seany Johnstone's points.

Yes I Would

Jesus Uladh let them enjoy it, Sure they must have forgotten what it felt like to win a good toght championship game!!
Great to see! but to progress supporters and players will need to settle down again very quickly. Ulster semi in two weeks!!

Muzz

As a matter of interest when is it the last time that Down won a first Round Championship Match?

orangeman

Congratulations to Down - the glory days in Tyrone are well and truly over.