Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

If Mark Harte made a comeback on Saturday, it would dwarf the Frank Sinatra & Lester Piggott comebacks.
Throw him in Mickey.

Tyrone Dreamer

If Mark Harte (an Errigal reserve) is our answer then we're in trouble. McCullagh is decent at the left footed free's anyway, its the right footed one's that may be an issue. If McGinley and Joe McMahon are fit then I'd be happy enough that we can at least come close to breaking even in midfield. I thought when we were getting ball in early to the forwards in the 1st half they were dangerous, although Cavanagh doesnt look fully fit yet. I'd be hopeful that after getting a game behind him McGuigan can improve 20-30% this week and wont give away cheap balls. I think many Tyrone supporters are overreacting to a drawn game that was the teams 1st outing in 2 months. People have to accept that we're not as strong as in 05 and bringing in average/decent club players at this point isnt going to solve our problems. Dont be suprised if Harte brings back Mellon for this week to try and help out the midfielders. Mulgrew wont be far away either. Personally I'd drop Davy Harte and move McMenamin to half back were he can bring so much energy and passion to the team. PJ Quinn would be my pick if McComiskey is on. Will this game attract close to a full house?

ONeill

Something that is slowly dawning on most Tyronnies is that the targets have been reassessed. We're not nailed-on All-Ireland contenders anymore and it's now a case of game-to-game progress. There is that small possibility that we can build up a head of steam over the course of the summer, be it front or back door, with a bit of luck here and there on the injury front.

2 things:

1. Gordon will play.

2. Any truth that O'Neill trained with the squad last week? I don't care what anyone says, if O'Neill returns the whole scenario changes.
Maybe pigs are flying but I've a feeling in my waters that this Saturday is the breaking point. We win and it's game on, with players improving in fitness and others returning. We lose, get a tough draw and it's bye-bye Mickey, our greatest county manager. I've a notion we're going to roll the dice one last time and hit a 6. The spirit of Harry McClure will prevail. I might have sunstroke.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

D4S

I definitely think it will be very close to a full house.  A lot of talk about tickets in the past couple of days here, and id expect tyrone to bring a big support.  There will be huge noise in newry if down perform for 70mins....Can't wait it will be great to have another championship game in Newry this year, I for one wasnt expecting any, just hope it isnt as hot as Omagh on Sunday....Jesus the burns are deadly!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Bensars

Cant see it happening. Is he not due to get married shortly ?

A few down players played some of their best football ( this being said by down posters) in down Jerseys, however putting such performances back to back are rare. I think if mc comiskey starts it will be in Tyrones favour. One again he had a major impact when introduced but the cats out of the bag now. Benny Coulter was relatively quiet by his own high standards and i fear it is he who may be the Danger.

If Tyrone get a lead this time i can see them being more ruthless, a characteristic of replays under Harte in the past. If the reverse happens and Down start well, i can see tyrone haul them back.

Still optimistic of  a Tyrone win

ONeill

That's the spirit lads! No more moping. Rem 73-84 and 57-73. Those were the lean years. Let's put the aristocrats to sleep. The Mournes aren't all that big anyway and Newcastle's a hole. Bundle of SDLP voting Presbyterians. Wasn't Paisley's first Church in Crossgar? 

bridgegael

should be a fill house on saturday,  a lot of the down bandwagoners will no doubt turn up in full force.  you say that some down players played their best game for down,  there are a lot more that played no where near their best.  mccomiskey should def start.  i think it'll be another tight game with only a point in it either way!  roll on saturday!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Tyrone Dreamer

Thought the talk was he was getting married next year but could be wrong. It would be suprising the lift it would give the squad and supporters if he came back now. On Sunday we had no match winning forwards to spring from the bench. If O'Neill was fit to play 20 minutes he'd give the team a huge lift coming on and would easly be worth a few points. Come back Stevie! (In reality I doubt very much he's coming back now)

Bensars

Pangurban

You tyrone lads are like a child whistling going past a graveyard to calm his fears. When a team on the way down meets a team on the way up, the latter usually prevails, expect no different this Saturday

Fear ón Srath Bán

There's definitely a weight of expectation on the Down lads now after Sunday, and Tyrone's aim will be to turn that into an unbearable burden as soon as possible into the game on Saturday, and two glasses of vintage champagne football this time, and not just the one, should do it  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Breaking news from the Irish Times, is this rot?

Gordon ruled out for Down

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dan Gordon has been ruled out for Down ahead of their Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone in Newry on Saturday evening.
The powerful midfielder, who was man-of-the-match in the Healy Park draw, broke his thumb and will be sidelined for up to six weeks.
Yesterday's X-rays confirmed the break after Gordon took a heavy fall in the first half but played on against Mickey Harte's side.
Ambrose Rodgers is expected to fill in for Gordon.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 10, 2008, 05:53:45 PM
Who's nose is broke?
nail if rumours are to be believed you would have missed this causing trouble with opposition supporters!disgrace to the gaa

ONeill

Quote from: Pangurban on June 10, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
You tyrone lads are like a child whistling going past a graveyard to calm his fears. When a team on the way down meets a team on the way up, the latter usually prevails, expect no different this Saturday

I'll feckin fight ye.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: charlie stubbs on June 10, 2008, 08:53:11 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 10, 2008, 05:53:45 PM
Who's nose is broke?
nail if rumours are to be believed you would have missed this causing trouble with opposition supporters!disgrace to the gaa

Just you behave yoursel on sunday charles, mind your own!