Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snappiered

From Hoganstand

Down have suffered a major blow ahead of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone with the news that Dan Gordon has been ruled out with a broken thumb.

X-rays confirmed on Monday that the giant midfielder, who produced a man of the match performance in the Healy Park draw, suffered a break and will be out of action for up to six weeks as a result.

The former full forward fell heavily in the first half, but was able to play on after having his hand and wrist strapped at half-time. But he will miss Saturday night's replay at Pairc Esler with Ambrose Rogers - an impressive sub in Omagh - expected to take his place

5 Sams

Quote from: snappiered on June 10, 2008, 03:58:39 PM
From Hoganstand

Down have suffered a major blow ahead of Saturday’s Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone with the news that Dan Gordon has been ruled out with a broken thumb.

X-rays confirmed on Monday that the giant midfielder, who produced a man of the match performance in the Healy Park draw, suffered a break and will be out of action for up to six weeks as a result.

The former full forward fell heavily in the first half, but was able to play on after having his hand and wrist strapped at half-time. But he will miss Saturday night’s replay at Pairc Esler with Ambrose Rogers - an impressive sub in Omagh - expected to take his place

Total Bollix......I was talking to him at 2pm today and he was grand.....he said he thought it was broke but it's 100%.
The Aristocrat Years

To whom it may concern

Last 18 months or so i feel we look like a very tired team in the sense that we look one paced and flat footed...teams have caught on to our swarm tactics and ferocious tackling, and are running at us down the flanks and also exposing our defence by switching flanks and playing the early ball.....

we always struggle to win clean ball at midfield; but that is not the point...the main reason for Down's ascendency was that they were winning second and third phase ball....holmes and especially hub looked flat and lacked mobility....undoubtedly, joe mcmahon may offer an alternative option, but don't think it's as cut and dried that beard will play him from the start...sean cavanagh needs to be back in there where he can influence the game for as often as possible....pity we didn't have an alternative at 3 to le justin into middle sector....

very little harte can do between now and sat from a physical point of view...it's going to be won or lost mentally and tactically....tyrone need to take every bit of impetus and spur from this aka derry in 2003, replays tend to highlight which team has learned more in the intervening period, we need to quash any momentum or buoyancy Down may have taken from sunday...

i am surprised no-one has played on the fact that Down may have left it behind them on sunday, history tends to suggest the underdog has to take it first time, though the main thing in Down's favour is home advantage and a sat evening throw in....

this will simply come down to whichever team has the hunger to learn more during this week and adapt accordingly to what they now know they face on sat evening....

BennyHarp

I know midfield is a concern, but there are always ways and means of bypassing midfield or crowding the area so no clean ball is won and we have some of the best players at picking up loose ball in the country - my major concern for Tyrone is the lack of a even a half decent free taker!

We are never in a million years going to compete at the highest level if we dont have someone who is 100% reliable with the dead ball. Not only does it impact on our ability to run up a match winning score - if i was managing a team going out to face tyrone i'd be encouraging my players to foul out the pitch - 45-50 yards out - as they probably know they wont get punished! In the days of Canavan and O'Neill teams where scared to lay a hand on a tyrone attacker as it was a certain point, this meant openings were made due to the hesident tackling! SURELY TO GOD THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE COUNTY WHO IS A RELIABLE FREE TAKER!

Come back Mark Harte - all is forgiven!!
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

QuoteCome back Mark Harte - all is forgiven!!

His scoring record for Tyrone was excellent and I don't see why he shouldn't be pulled in.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2008, 04:27:29 PM
Quote from: snappiered on June 10, 2008, 03:58:39 PM
From Hoganstand

Down have suffered a major blow ahead of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone with the news that Dan Gordon has been ruled out with a broken thumb.

The former full forward fell heavily in the first half, but was able to play on after having his hand and wrist strapped at half-time. But he will miss Saturday night's replay at Pairc Esler with Ambrose Rogers - an impressive sub in Omagh - expected to take his place

Total Bollix......I was talking to him at 2pm today and he was grand.....he said he thought it was broke but it's 100%.

Apparently is' true... (according to Hoganstand anyway)

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=96329

BennyHarp

As soon as I saw Colm Cavanagh lining up to hit our first free on sunday from about 45 yards i knew we were going to struggle to rack up a big score! He is a decent player - but does he even take the frees for his club?
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

FROM THE BBC

Down are anxiously awaiting news of the fitness of midfielder Dan Gordon ahead of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone at Newry (1900 BST).

Gordon, man-of-the-match on Sunday, is scheduled to have a scan on a hand injury on Wednesday amid fears that he may have suffered a broken thumb.

If he is ruled out, Ambrose Rodgers, an impressive sub on Sunday, would be likely to start at midfield.

Enda McGinley, Colm Cavanagh and Davy Harte are all Tyrone fitness doubts.

Gordon's injury is heavily strapped and he told BBC Sport on Tuesday afternoon that the extent of the injury still wasn't clear.

"It's all strapped up so I haven't a clue how bad it is," said the Down player.

As regards the Tyrone injury count, the knock McGinley sustained in Sunday's draw is unrelated to the serious neck injury he suffered in 2003 but he may still miss Saturday's game.

McGinley suffered concussion in Sunday's game and he underwent scans in a Belfast hospital on Monday.

Colm Cavanagh (ankle) is a doubt for Saturday's replay but Davy Harte may be available despite a broken nose.

606: DEBATE
Were Tyrone lucky to survive?

"Enda is more optimistic than he was last night," Tyrone manager Mickey Harte told BBC Sport Interactive on Monday.

"He's having some scans and obviously he wants to make sure that the problem is not related to the neck injury that he had before.

"Davy Harte has a broken nose and there's probably not a lot that they can do with it. We'll just have to wait and see whether he is going to be able to play on Saturday.

"Colm Cavanagh has an ankle injury and again, we'll have to give it a few days although it didn't look particularly good when he came off in the second half."

HOW CAN YOU THINK IT'S BROKE BUT IT'S 100% ??????????????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

5 Sams

QuoteTotal Bollix......I was talking to him at 2pm today and he was grand.....he said he thought it was broke but it's 100%.

The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

bridgegael

will tyrone be allowed to use 6 sub this saturday again??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Rois

Quote from: bridgegael on June 10, 2008, 05:30:55 PM

If one of the Down players breaks a Tyrone player's nose again, yes.

orangeman

Quote from: bridgegael on June 10, 2008, 05:30:55 PM

You can use as many as you like nowadays ! How many managers will Down be allowed to use ?  ;) ;D

Our Nail Loney

Oh right didn't know, have been recovering the last couple days haven't been abreast of things like I normally would.