Which would be the greater nightmare scenario?

Started by T Fearon, April 11, 2008, 09:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

1. The Huns qualifying for the UEFA Cup Final

2. The Huns winning the UEFA Cup/

3. The North East of Ireland unonist soccer team qualifying for the finals of the World Cup/ Euro Championship

magpie seanie

lynchbhoy

whatever about the huns getting to a uefa final
I cant see them winning it - though liverpool won the CL - so anything is possible I suppose.

A bit of a disaster in terms of having to listen to them, but apart from that, no big deal really.

You have to hand it to walter smith. He is obv a great motivator. A poor mans MON in a way.
He has taken a team of very poor players and beaten some decent sides - lmuch like MON who had a team of decent and average and journeymen players into a side to compete with (and beat) the best.
How Celtic would relish a smith-type manager.
From what I hear , strachan is for the off this summer. Two names being mentioned as new boss ,and one a huge surprise.

as for the north east team as you call it  :D  well I think you will be safe enough there. They battle hard but
I think their peak form was recently and cant see them doing much other than putting up brave but losing battles once again.

stiffler

The team O'Neill had in 2003 was much superior to the current Rangers team. It would nbe some achievement if rangers win the quadruple. Its such a pity celtic have been so poor recently, that league was there for the taking, especially with the amount of games the gers have to play.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

I cannot believe how well the huns are doing, particularly in Europe. After all their team is made up of Premiership failures like Davis and Ferguson, and has beens like Dailly. Surely Fiorentina's class will tell in the semis ??? Wattie Smith is having a lucky indian summer. He showed with Everton that he can't hack it at the top level unlike Davie Moyes.

Reading this week's Celtic View I have to say Strachan makes a good case in defending himself. Basically he is saying that the team have outplayed their opponents in each of the last five games and  its all down simply to lack of composure in front of goal which he and the coaching staff are working on, and that Celtic are still the best team in Scotland otherwise and he is still the best manager! He says its a joy to work with such top class players and certainly doesn't give any hint of disillusionment or of wanting to leave.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: stiffler on April 11, 2008, 10:21:26 AM
The team O'Neill had in 2003 was much superior to the current Rangers team. It would nbe some achievement if rangers win the quadruple. Its such a pity celtic have been so poor recently, that league was there for the taking, especially with the amount of games the gers have to play.
I cant dispute that the Celtic team of then would be far superior to the current rangers team (the current Celtic team are far suprior apart from the wee ginger headed tactically ignorant manager they have).
Its just that smith has created a team that are hard to beat and are far superior as a unit than the sum of their parts...much like the MON Celtic team.
If anything rangers side is almost more impressive for reaching the semi finals - as they really have a lot of dreadful players. That must mean something  - imo smith, who was castigated as being a dud after failing miserably when he took over the souness team , is now seen to be a far better manager than first thought and its prob just that MON and Wim Jansen are far better managers than many had previously thought.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on April 11, 2008, 10:22:25 AM
I cannot believe how well the huns are doing, particularly in Europe. After all their team is made up of Premiership failures like Davis and Ferguson, and has beens like Dailly. Surely Fiorentina's class will tell in the semis ??? Wattie Smith is having a lucky indian summer. He showed with Everton that he can't hack it at the top level unlike Davie Moyes.

Reading this week's Celtic View I have to say Strachan makes a good case in defending himself. Basically he is saying that the team have outplayed their opponents in each of the last five games and  its all down simply to lack of composure in front of goal which he and the coaching staff are working on, and that Celtic are still the best team in Scotland otherwise and he is still the best manager! He says its a joy to work with such top class players and certainly doesn't give any hint of disillusionment or of wanting to leave.

Tony pm me an email address and I will fill you in on what I have heard. Im away to a funeral now so it could be monday before I get back to you.

Strachan has no guile or tactical nous. I have tried to like him but from his first game when 2-0 down he sends on more strikers to attempt to win the game rather than damage limitation that MON or any half decent manager would have opted for - well that sent out big red warning signals to me straight away, and have seen nothing since then to suggest otherwise .
Celtic under GS fail at the first sign of any difficulty.
GS teams dont know how to defend. He can talk and teach all he likes about composure, but until they get the most basic requirement a team needs, then he is wasting his, Celtic and the Celtic fans time.
For other examples of similar type failures you only have to look at arsenal the other day. Liverpool may be hit or miss, but have been boasting a good defense this past few years that doesnt contain outstanding international players (hypia and carragher etc) but know how to defend and the team do this wonderfully well as a unit too (and have done so since before houllier).

imo

BTW - regarding dailly - you have to have BEEN a player to be called a has been !
he is a 'never was' !  :D (a Celtic fan too by all accounts)

tintin25

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 11, 2008, 10:08:47 AM
whatever about the huns getting to a uefa final
I cant see them winning it - though liverpool won the CL - so anything is possible I suppose.

A bit of a disaster in terms of having to listen to them, but apart from that, no big deal really.

You have to hand it to walter smith. He is obv a great motivator. A poor mans MON in a way.
He has taken a team of very poor players and beaten some decent sides - lmuch like MON who had a team of decent and average and journeymen players into a side to compete with (and beat) the best.
How Celtic would relish a smith-type manager.
From what I hear , strachan is for the off this summer. Two names being mentioned as new boss ,and one a huge surprise.

as for the north east team as you call it  :D  well I think you will be safe enough there. They battle hard but
I think their peak form was recently and cant see them doing much other than putting up brave but losing battles once again.

You could argue that he's acheived a hell of alot more than O'Neill. Numerous titles with the Gers, didn't actually do too badly at Everton neither and was on the verge of taking Scotland to Euro 2008. I am surprised as well as anyone that they have gotten to the semi's but to be fair I watched the game last night and they looked comfortable....can't argue with Smith's tactics. Once they scored the first there never appeared any doubt that Sporting would get back into it. I'd fancy Fiorentina to take them, esp with Ferguson and Thomsom missing the 1st leg but everything is possible now.....still couldn't bear to listen to them though if they won it!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tintin25 on April 11, 2008, 10:51:57 AM
You could argue that he's acheived a hell of alot more than O'Neill. Numerous titles with the Gers, didn't actually do too badly at Everton neither and was on the verge of taking Scotland to Euro 2008. I am surprised as well as anyone that they have gotten to the semi's but to be fair I watched the game last night and they looked comfortable....can't argue with Smith's tactics. Once they scored the first there never appeared any doubt that Sporting would get back into it. I'd fancy Fiorentina to take them, esp with Ferguson and Thomsom missing the 1st leg but everything is possible now.....still couldn't bear to listen to them though if they won it!
thats what I mean, it could be construed as a better achievement by smith because of all that !

I dont think fiorentina are any great shakes and rangers could beat them !

having to listen to them would be hard for a while, but wont affect those of us in Dublin too much!
:)

thejuice

Just for the record, I dont give a shit and fail to see why anyone would have a problem with said teams achieving unless they are a supporter of said teams
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

T Fearon

They still will not be wearing sombreros in Manchester all the same, unlike Seville! Still pissing myself laughing as I was in the Celtic end at Ibrox (with free tickets won in a comp of course ;D) at that famous fixture three days after the Boavista win in 2003, when the pitch pre kick off was covered in Beach Balls (it was pissing down rain as well ;D) and the lads were all going up to Huns staff at the catering stalls asking if they had any San Miguel, and this huge banner was unfurled requesting that the episode of the Bill on the evening of the 2003 UEFA Cup Final be taped ;D ;D ;D ;D

The irony is that Murray didn't rate Wattie Smith (the old Not the View fanzine used to portray him as a bingo caller in the Masonic Hall :D) when he was let go from Ibrox the first time, and preferred Le Guen in recent years as his idea of a continental coach that would lead the Huns to success in Europe. How lucky can you get?

I still pray to God, two rosaries every night, that it all goes pear shaped in Govan over the next few weeks.

Great interview in this week's View with a ninety year old former Celtic keeper who still prays for the team and says a Rosary for the Lisbon Lions (mentioning each of their names) every night! Adherence to Celtic and the one true faith, thats what I like to see ;D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tony I know your mostly on the wind up, but some of the comments above just give ammunition to the Celtic "knockers" on this board, if you were a true Celt, you wouldn't be lining your team up for a hammering - leave that to WGS!

As for WGS's interview - what a load of pish, oh yeah we SHOULD have won the last 5 games, fact is we DIDN'T, Rankers are 7 points clear with a game in hand, still in with a shout for 4 trophies this season, and he reckons we're the best team in Scotland - FFS!! On paper we have a better team, but the fact is that a poorer team are playing better on the pitch then we are.
The league is not over, but we need 3 points this weekend or I'll personally go over to Paradise and show WGS where the door is!

Hail Hail
Tbc....

T Fearon

GD, Unlike yourself perhaps I am a true supporter who supports his team and their appointed manager,when times are hard and is uninfluenced by whats happening in Govan and who realises that all is not yet lost until its mathematically impossible to succeed. Remember Fir Park in 2005?

On one thing we do agree is that Celtic currently have the best playersn Scotland and no matter what happens this season, they are a better bet for long term success than the Govanites.

You see I realise we can't expect to win the league every season and I would much rather have what we have got now than the early to late 90s when we were largely out of contention for everything by Christmas

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on April 11, 2008, 09:24:40 AM
1. The Huns qualifying for the UEFA Cup Final

2. The Huns winning the UEFA Cup/

3. The North East of Ireland unonist soccer team qualifying for the finals of the World Cup/ Euro Championship

I would have thought No.3 would (will?) be worst for you personally. After all, having defected from following OWC to jump on Jolly Jack's Bandwagon all those years ago, the temptation to switch back again to follow the "Original and Best", after they had restored Irish football to its natural order, would surely be too hard to resist...

In fact, with the way things are going, you must already be suffering a few nightmares; I hope your Missus remembers to double-lock the fridge each evening before she goes to bed, or you'll be up all night.  ;)

P.S. I've thought of an even worse nightmare for you: The Occupied Six qualify for South Africa - and you win free tickets to go out there!  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"