Are referees ruining our games?

Started by pedro, April 07, 2008, 10:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

I was at the Louth Sligo game yesterday and I just can't put my frustration to bed. While we (luckily) won, I'm still totally bewildered at the standard of refereeing. There hasn't been one game this year where you could say the ref was decent. The standard of refereeing yesterday was abysmal, if it was the English Premiership the ref wouldn't see the light of day again. From all reports, the ref at the Armagh Meath game was just as bad. I honestly think that that the standard of refereeing has a lot to do with the poor standard of football we are looking at.

Am I just being a total grouch or is there some truth to what i am saying?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

mylestheslasher

Watched the Monaghan v Cork game on setanta on Saturday night and thought the ref was very good. Look on the bright side - at least ye won.

Uladh

Bad referees do not allow players to attack and compete hard for the ball. as soon as they see contact they blow the whistle assuming there must be a foul. the better referees let the play rn so long as both men are going hard for the ball.

i have been told that there is influence at the very highest level to reduce the physicality of the game in an attempt to make game attractive to the modern parent

pedro

Awh I know that, it's not often we win when we play absolutely terrible. I'll give refs credit where it is due but it just seems that the refs we have had the whole season have been absolutley brutal. While we can't blame the refs for the results we have had this year, the standard of refereeing has made the football terrible to watch.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

thejuice

Quote from: Uladh on April 07, 2008, 10:42:38 AM
i have been told that there is influence at the very highest level to reduce the physicality of the game in an attempt to make game attractive to the modern parent

>:(
That would be my worst nightmare, dont think rugby suffers for its physicallity.  Sure how does physicallity of a senior county game affect the game at juvenile levels. I know where its coming from and its absolute bullshite.

On topic at hand, yes referees are poor at times but we are not in a position to to compare them to Premiership referees, who are officiating a different game which is easier to referee and are trained to a higher level.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Down Gael

Although I dont want to use it as an excuse for the defeat to Leitrim yesterday, but the referee was terrible. Even the Leitrim fans couldnt understand some of his decisions, he gave them everything. The Leitrim players copped on to this pretty quickly and played to his style of refereeing, at one stage I thought DJ Kane was using a sniper rifle in the stand to take them out, they were acting like they had been shot when in truth there was only minimal if any contact. Its not the first time this has happened this year and not just to down as well, but it is very annoying to drive 3 hours to a game and have to endure such poor officials.

pedro

Quote from: Down Gael on April 07, 2008, 11:03:12 AM
Although I dont want to use it as an excuse for the defeat to Leitrim yesterday, but the referee was terrible. Even the Leitrim fans couldnt understand some of his decisions, he gave them everything. The Leitrim players copped on to this pretty quickly and played to his style of refereeing, at one stage I thought DJ Kane was using a sniper rifle in the stand to take them out, they were acting like they had been shot when in truth there was only minimal if any contact. Its not the first time this has happened this year and not just to down as well, but it is very annoying to drive 3 hours to a game and have to endure such poor officials.

Well, that's it DG, people show so much passion for our games and travel to every corner of the country to see their team only to see them cheated out of it by a sub-standard ref. Surely we should expect a basic standard of refereeing at least, it's not that hard to ask is it? I'm aware that if Louth lost yesterday this thread would look like sour grapes but the fact of the matter is the ref was so bad he ruined any chance of the game being enoyable to watch, regardless of the scoreline

Gnevin

The Lad that Ref Dublin V Monaghan was dire , Also when did ref's start giving soft frees to teams 5/7 points to make it look respectable?  Does my head in  the ref give 2/3 frees and all of a sudden a team which was dead and buried is back in it .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 07, 2008, 10:42:38 AM

Bad referees do not allow players to attack and compete hard for the ball. as soon as they see contact they blow the whistle assuming there must be a foul. the better referees let the play rn so long as both men are going hard for the ball.

I know we don't always agree but there's no doubt that referees have been told to reduce the physical nature of the game so that more "recruits" can be attracted to the game. As you say, good refs let the game go and don't always blow for a foul just because it "appears" there has been a foul comiitted.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Gnevin on April 07, 2008, 11:44:28 AM
The Lad that Ref Dublin V Monaghan was dire , Also when did ref's start giving soft frees to teams 5/7 points to make it look respectable?  Does my head in  the ref give 2/3 frees and all of a sudden a team which was dead and buried is back in it .

Could not agree more. It is not the ref's job to even up a one sided game but so many do.A soft free here and there but give the team thats leading no protcection at all.We've all seen it happen.

Main Street

Uladh's point is a good one.
I agree with blowing up for a foul when clearly committed but I think the art of a good ref is to allow play to go only when the team still has a clear advantage.
A quick free kick from the hand doesn't slow the game that much.

Gnevin

Quote from: Main Street on April 07, 2008, 12:53:01 PM
Uladh's point is a good one.
I agree with blowing up for a foul when clearly committed but I think the art of a good ref is to allow play to go only when the team still has a clear advantage.
A quick free kick from the hand doesn't slow the game that much.
In fairness to the refs what is a tackle? It's about as clear as a puddle on mud
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

phpearse

Agree that some refereeing displays leave a lot to be desired but if we all think we can do a better job than we should. I think most ex-footballers should give refereeing a try for 5-10 years after they hang the boots up. At 35+ they have the experience of playing the game in its current form, are young enough to be able to keep up with the play and would have enough common sense to referee the game the way it should be done. Any volunteers from those that are complaining.

orangeman

Quote from: phpearse on April 07, 2008, 01:11:16 PM
Agree that some refereeing displays leave a lot to be desired but if we all think we can do a better job than we should. I think most ex-footballers should give refereeing a try for 5-10 years after they hang the boots up. At 35+ they have the experience of playing the game in its current form, are young enough to be able to keep up with the play and would have enough common sense to referee the game the way it should be done. Any volunteers from those that are complaining.

Are you wise ???  ;) ;) :D ;D ;D

Anyway, I wouldn'y have a big enough ego for the job !!!!  ;) ;) ;D

SLIGONIAN

PEDRO - I was at the louth sligo yday. Ref wasnt that bad. He did give us a few more 50/50 decisions and a bit more fair play and more protection alright I give you that so I can understand your frustration to a point but if I was you I be soooo glad I won because better team lost. Ref throw all that out the window when he played 1 min half over the injury time and yee got point last kick of the game aswell. I thought he let game flow and most off the frees were justified. 5o6 were 50/50 but had no bearing on our superiority in play.

I do agree with your point on reffing standards but I wont agree with making ydays ref a scapegoat when I seen alot worse all year. I wish louth well for rest of the yr.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"