County Border Towns

Started by Goats Do Shave, April 04, 2008, 09:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Folks,

I'm going to be driving round the country later in the year, going to try & give every county a touch. To make it a little easier on myself, I'm calling on your knowledge - can you post up a few county border towns around the country, to help me put my route together!

Cheers in advance guys!  ;)

AZOffaly

Potarlington straddles Laois and Offaly. Roscrea straddles Offaly and Tipperary, well just outside it, Athlone has Roscommon and Westmeath, Shannonbridge is Roscommon and Offaly, Banagher is Galway and Offaly, Carbury/Edenderry is Offaly and Kildare, The Offaly Westmeath border runs along the north side of Offaly, and towns like Rochfortbridge, Rhode, Tyrellspass, Kilbeggan, Moate, would all be more or less border towns. There's also the Offaly Meath border near Edenderry as well.

Offaly has a border with 7 counties, Galway, Roscommon, Westmeath, Meath, Kildare, Laois and Tipperary, so you could kill a lot of birds by driving from Rochfortbridge (WH) -> Edenderry (Offaly) hitting Kildare and Meath, and then going across the M/N7 into Laois as far as Roscrea (tipp) heading back up to Banagher and over the bridge to Galway, back to Ferbane into Athlone (Westmeath again, and the other side of the bridge to Roscommon..

Other county straddling towns, or close to borders, I know of would be Abbeyfeale, (Kerry and Limerick), Charleville (Cork and Limerick), Birdhill (Tipperary and Limerick) Limerick city itself (Clare and Limerick), Rathmore (Cork and Kerry)

5 Sams

Go from the Carrickdale to Newry and you'll do three counties
The Aristocrat Years

Goats Do Shave

Shamrock Shore

Aiming for Rooskey will give you Longford, Leitrim and Roscommon without too much journeying

Declan

Meath is also bordered by 7 counties Louth Monaghan Cavan Offaly Westmeath Kildare and Dublin so lots of options depending on what direction you are heading 

Billys Boots

Arva should sort you for Longford, Cavan and Leitrim.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Kilbeheny covers Cork Limerick and Tipperary.

Ballybinaby/Hackballscross covers Armagh/Louth, just ask Thomas Murphy ;)

Louth Exile

Drogheda - Louth/Meath
Kingscourt - Cavan/ Meath
Kilcock - Kildare/Meath
Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan. Although the whole of the town is in Monaghan you are only miles from the Louth, Meath & Cavan county boundaries
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 04, 2008, 09:55:40 AM

...and these days Dublin too !  ;)

lynchbhoy

this could cause a row
but
ballaghadreen mayo/roscommon :o
the west part of carlow town (graigcullen - over the bridge) is in Laois
Ferrybank in waterford is waterford/kilkenny

Owenmoresider

Mayo/Sligo - Charlestown/Bellaghy, Ballina
Roscommon/Sligo - Boyle, Ballyfarnon
Leitrim/Sligo - Dromahair, Ballintogher, Tullaghan, Cliffoney
Leitrim/Donegal - Bundoran, Kinlough
Leitrim/Roscommon - Drumshanbo, Carrick, Rooskey
Roscommon/Mayo/Sligo - Ballaghaderreen (but it's in Ros, lest you be told otherwise ;))
Galway/Roscommon - Ballinasloe, Ballymoe
Leitrim/Cavan - Glenfarne, Blacklion, Dowra, Ballinamore, Carrigallen
Galway/Mayo - Ballindine, Shrule, Milltown

Not all on the border, but near enough for hostilities.

take_yer_points

Fivemiletown is in Tyrone but is only a few hundred yards from Fermanagh and a few miles from Monaghan.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 04, 2008, 10:33:25 AM
this could cause a row
but
ballaghadreen mayo/roscommon :o

not a chance sure everyone knows that ballaghadreen is in mayo Lynchboy well for the football anyway ;) i'll sit down and wait for the onslaught :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

behind the wire

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 04, 2008, 10:32:34 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on April 04, 2008, 09:55:40 AM

...and these days Dublin too !  ;)

dublin seems to have eaten up a lot of towns. is it true that lucan (or around that area) is now considered part of dublin
He who laughs last thinks the slowest