Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 02:36:05 PM
Dromintee's ground in Armagh named after Jim Lochrie and Sean Campbell

Whats this about?

orangeman

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on April 23, 2008, 01:23:25 PM

Whats this about?

It's about Sammy G being a bigot ! That's what !

feetofflames

Please please please,  dont stereotype Sammy G.
Chief Wiggum

his holiness nb

I wouldnt worry about it, he thinks we are all racists.
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

Quote from: feetofflames on April 23, 2008, 01:34:31 PM
Please please please,  dont stereotype Sammy G.

If I said your where non sterotypical FoF would that be sterotyping you ;) :D ;)?

Now I'm confused Maguire.

thejuice

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 23, 2008, 01:03:08 PM
Juice true Irishmen and women travelling over to Britain to play our games will have no problems with such names. In fact it allows them the opportunity to stay within their own culture and small community in a foreign country. That was probably the purpose of the name. Like in all honesty how could you name a club team within an organisation after someone in Britain. It makes no sense, the names are to promote irish identity. I would also say that many British people looking to play gaelic games would have no objections to the names because they realise it is an Irish sport founded to promote Culture. Again i would say the media would latch onto this because this is their job but ordinary people would have better things to get on with. Isee it never made national news anyway like the issue with Unionists here.

Well I didnt think Irish people would be too concerned by the names, but isnt the fact that playing an Irish sport is promoting Irish culture as it is. Wouldnt Earlsdon GAA club have been enough. Creating a team that both immigrants and natives alike can identify with would have been a better objective if you ask me.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

maddog

Quote from: thejuice on April 23, 2008, 12:25:03 PM
Quote from: maddog on April 23, 2008, 12:13:09 PM
Lady Godiva?

Well there are plenty of pubs and beers and streets named after her and we could have a lady in the nip as our crest.

We could also be called The Specials GAA club, our club song could be Ghost Town, which as you may remember from an episode of Father Ted is the Irish National Anthem.

But seriously........
yes this was obviously chosen by those who started the club 1956 and what connection they felt with Roger Casement is up to them but today it just seems out of place. It is harmless of course but in order to establish gaelic games in Britain I think the teams need to identify with their locality

Never liked the Casements, was the colours put me off. ;) Preferred Finbarrs.

thejuice

Quote from: maddog on April 23, 2008, 02:44:42 PM
Never liked the Casements, was the colours put me off. ;) Preferred Finbarrs.

Not to keen on the Down colours myself but anyway, whats happened to Finbars lately, I hear they are struggling to field a team, or is that just Casements propaganda.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SammyG

Whats this about?

It's not about anything. It was an answer to Lynchbhoys question, about which grounds were named after murderers.

SammyG

Quote from: orangeman on April 23, 2008, 01:33:03 PM

Whats this about?

Which bit of my post had anything to do with bigottry?

Uladh

were Jim Lochrie and Sean Campbell murderers?

orangeman

Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2008, 02:57:38 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 23, 2008, 01:33:03 PM

Whats this about?

Which bit of my post had anything to do with bigottry?

All of it !!!!!!  It came from you didn't it ?

SammyG

Quote from: orangeman on April 23, 2008, 03:04:15 PMAll of it !!!!!!  It came from you didn't it ?

And the award for the greatest post in GAABoard history goes to orangeman.  ::)

Zapatista

Quote from: Zapatista on April 23, 2008, 07:54:29 AM
Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 07:21:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 22, 2008, 06:17:09 PM
SammyG, you'd be better off just holding your hands up on this one.  
He wasn't a convicted sectarian murderer,
And Al Capone was never convicted of being a gangster. The INLA, of which Lynch was a senior member, were a sectarian murder gang. Even the Provos thought they were too extreme.

Does the same apply to anyone who voluntarily joins the British Government? They have carried out plenty of murders. As seen in Iraq the British are too extreme. I don't think it does but maybe you do.

Can you answer this Sammy?

SammyG

Quote from: Zapatista on April 23, 2008, 03:14:08 PMCan you answer this Sammy?

Sorry missed this earlier.

If they were involved in voting for and/or organising the war then yes. I have said for a long while that Bush and Blair should be tried for war crimes.

Not that being a member, of a legally elected government, is in any comparable to being a member of a squad of sectarian gangsters.