GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Maguire your a melter even in the wee hours of the morning  :D :D ;)
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Fishbat

Quote from: orangeman on April 23, 2008, 12:04:42 AM
Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2008, 10:25:18 PM
f**k it, Sammy. To hell with the politics and all, if I get you Jody Gormley's number, could you round up 15 of your mates to go out and play for Antrim in the championship? Yis have a month to get into shape. Yis play Cavan first........Good Luck!

I think Hardstation that you'll find that Sammy's mates are practising their wee walks at this time of year and therefore won't be available !!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Indeed, must be near time for them to take the annual spring/summer vow of silence (well to their cafflik neighbours anyway)

Grunting season i call it

Zapatista

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 02:38:17 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on April 22, 2008, 02:31:44 PM
Sammy a piece of paper is not the be all or end of for a nationality. In fact it is pretty insignificant. Go and look up the meaning of nationality, i would doubt you will find the issue of a passport at the forefront.

I didn't say that a passport was the be all and end all of nationality. A passport is just the bit of paper that demonstrates your nationality, obviously there is a lot more behind it than just the bit of paper.

You did say you would not believe someone could be a Scottish National until you seen a Scottish Passport. So is it a case of "obviously there is a lot more behind it than just the bit of paper" unless you are Scottish where it does take a bit of peper ::)

Zapatista

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 07:21:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 22, 2008, 06:17:09 PM
SammyG, you'd be better off just holding your hands up on this one.  
He wasn't a convicted sectarian murderer,
And Al Capone was never convicted of being a gangster. The INLA, of which Lynch was a senior member, were a sectarian murder gang. Even the Provos thought they were too extreme.

Does the same apply to anyone who voluntarily joins the British Government? They have carried out plenty of murders. As seen in Iraq the British are too extreme. I don't think it does but maybe you do.

SammyG

[quote author=Zapatista link=topic=7345.msg280972#msg280972 date=1208932918You did say you would not believe someone could be a Scottish National until you seen a Scottish Passport. So is it a case of "obviously there is a lot more behind it than just the bit of paper" unless you are Scottish where it does take a bit of peper ::)
[/quote]
I'm not sure if you're trying to be awkward or if you're not getting what I'm saying. Of course you can be Scottish but there is no such thing as Scottish nationality. The 'bit of paper' is just the demonstration of the nationality, not the nationality in itself.

Zapatista

Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2008, 08:36:31 AM
[quote author=Zapatista link=topic=7345.msg280972#msg280972 date=1208932918You did say you would not believe someone could be a Scottish National until you seen a Scottish Passport. So is it a case of "obviously there is a lot more behind it than just the bit of paper" unless you are Scottish where it does take a bit of peper ::)
I'm not sure if you're trying to be awkward or if you're not getting what I'm saying. Of course you can be Scottish but there is no such thing as Scottish nationality. The 'bit of paper' is just the demonstration of the nationality, not the nationality in itself.
[/quote]

Where are Scottish people from then? Are they from County Scotland or Scotland City? Scotland is a Nation whether you like it or not. Scottish people are Scottish Nationals wether you like it or not. Scotland is a Nation in a Union with England, Wales and NI which are all Nations in their own right. The same as there are 27 Nations in the EU all of which are Nations in their own right. It just so happens that the Union of Britain share the same passport and currency. This may happen to the EU too but it in no way means you cease to become a Nation.

thejuice

This just had me wondering, why was our club in Coventry named after Roger Casement. He had no connection to Coventry as far as Im aware. Why wasnt the club named after Francis Whittle, he was born and grew up in the same area of Coventry that our team is from in Earlsdon,

he invented the Jet engine and the American football team are called the Jets after him, wouldnt it make sense to name clubs after people that the area is noted for. Roger Casement doesnt mean a whole lot to anyone from Coventry let alone Earlsdon.

After we got a very generous grants from the local council the local papers  were asking why was the club named after a man who got hung for treason. It just makes it makes it harder for the locals to identify with our club therefore harder to recruit and get locals interested in going to our matches.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

I'm not sure if he has a history with Coventry but he has a huge and great history in the British Army. He served in the British army (for the British people) in South America and Africa. He was highly decorated for the work he done in Africa and South America in the interest of Human Rights of the natives there in the name of He Majesty. He was hung for doing the same work in Ireland. The people of Coventry should be happy with the great Humanitarian work Casement done for everyone regardless of colour or creed. If the Club was named after Martin Luther King there would be no objection and so there should be none for Casement.

thejuice

Yeah but wouldnt choosing someone local not be better,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Yes I Would

maddog

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on April 23, 2008, 11:29:12 AM
Yeah but wouldnt choosing someone local not be better,

Not necessarily. I'm sure it was started by an ethnic group in Coventry rather than local majority. An example would be Glasgow Celtic started by an ethnic group in memory of their own ethnic history. It is harmless really. In fact Casement and Celtic are good non controversial choices.

thejuice

Quote from: maddog on April 23, 2008, 12:13:09 PM
Lady Godiva?

Well there are plenty of pubs and beers and streets named after her and we could have a lady in the nip as our crest.

We could also be called The Specials GAA club, our club song could be Ghost Town, which as you may remember from an episode of Father Ted is the Irish National Anthem.

But seriously........
yes this was obviously chosen by those who started the club 1956 and what connection they felt with Roger Casement is up to them but today it just seems out of place. It is harmless of course but in order to establish gaelic games in Britain I think the teams need to identify with their locality

winsamsoon

Juice true Irishmen and women travelling over to Britain to play our games will have no problems with such names. In fact it allows them the opportunity to stay within their own culture and small community in a foreign country. That was probably the purpose of the name. Like in all honesty how could you name a club team within an organisation after someone in Britain. It makes no sense, the names are to promote irish identity. I would also say that many British people looking to play gaelic games would have no objections to the names because they realise it is an Irish sport founded to promote Culture. Again i would say the media would latch onto this because this is their job but ordinary people would have better things to get on with. Isee it never made national news anyway like the issue with Unionists here.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Maguire01

Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2008, 08:36:31 AM
Of course you can be Scottish but there is no such thing as Scottish nationality.

I'm confused by this.  Do Scotland not play rugby in the 6 Nations?