GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on April 23, 2008, 01:23:25 PM
Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 02:36:05 PM
Dromintee's ground in Armagh named after Jim Lochrie and Sean Campbell

Whats this about?

My question was who are Lochrie and campbell who their pitch is named after and why?

orangeman

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on April 24, 2008, 11:12:10 AM

Whats this about?

My question was who are Lochrie and campbell who their pitch is named after and why?

They were 2 prominent Irishmen and GAA supporters in that area.

Aghdavoyle

Its more accurate just to say they were irishmen.

orangeman

SammyG

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on April 24, 2008, 11:12:10 AM

Whats this about?

Jim Lochrie was an IRA 'volunteer' from Dromintree
Sean Campbell was an IRA 'volunteer' from Louth

As far as why the pitch was named after them, it certainly wasn't due to their work for the club so presumably it was because of their 'work' for the cause.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 24, 2008, 01:11:58 PM
Presumably indeed

Presumably because I wasn't in the room when the decision was made but looking at the facts, I'm not sure you could draw any other conclusion. Campbell's only connection to Armagh was he murdered people there.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

winsamsoon

Actually sammy part of the Dromintee diocese is in louth believe it or not so maybe you are correct when you say about his connections with Armagh (Not the bit about murdering) but he was then connected to Dromintee because it was in his diocese.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

orangeman

Quote from: SammyG on April 24, 2008, 01:33:01 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on April 24, 2008, 01:11:58 PM
Presumably indeed

Presumably because I wasn't in the room when the decision was made but looking at the facts, I'm not sure you could draw any other conclusion. Campbell's only connection to Armagh was he murdered people there.

It's very difficult to presume - but since you know so much is it safe to presume that you know everything ??

Nally Stand

Quote from: thejuice on April 01, 2008, 05:32:52 PM
Well the club I play for is Roger Casements, and to be honest if it were asked that we changed the name to something else I wouldn't mind at all. I love Gaelic games and but don't really see the point or even the good it does naming clubs after people with contentious backgrounds.

I would object to any hint of the removal of the Irish language however

I havent read through all of this debate but on looking at thie first page I came across the above quote.
It strikes me as typical of the attitude in the free state that there would be an objection to "any hint of the removal of the Irish language" yet the same person states they would have no objection to the name of the great Roger Casement being disassociated with his/her local club. Why be offended at the prospect of removal of the Irish Langauge, an aspect of Irish culture, yet not be offended at the possibility of removal of the name of a patriot who actually died in defence of Ireland and by extension, for Irish culture. It screams hypocracy. The attitude of many in the 26 counties, to have no gratitude for the sacrafices made by patriots like Roger Casement, absolutely stinks.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Zapatista

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 25, 2008, 01:05:07 AM
Quote from: thejuice on April 01, 2008, 05:32:52 PM
Well the club I play for is Roger Casements, and to be honest if it were asked that we changed the name to something else I wouldn't mind at all. I love Gaelic games and but don't really see the point or even the good it does naming clubs after people with contentious backgrounds.

I would object to any hint of the removal of the Irish language however

I havent read through all of this debate but on looking at thie first page I came across the above quote.
It strikes me as typical of the attitude in the free state that there would be an objection to "any hint of the removal of the Irish language" yet the same person states they would have no objection to the name of the great Roger Casement being disassociated with his/her local club. Why be offended at the prospect of removal of the Irish Langauge, an aspect of Irish culture, yet not be offended at the possibility of removal of the name of a patriot who actually died in defence of Ireland and by extension, for Irish culture. It screams hypocracy. The attitude of many in the 26 counties, to have no gratitude for the sacrafices made by patriots like Roger Casement, absolutely stinks.

Rodger Casement was also a huge Irish Language enthusiast. He was one of the founders of the gealic league which had a top priority of promoting the Irish Language. He did more for the Irish Language in his short life than the consecutive Irish Governments since. His devotion to the language was only matched by the likes of PH Pearse. Juice, If you look at the life of Rodger Casement you might not be so quick to change the name as he was a remarkable man. I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2008, 07:49:38 AM
I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

She was a bad one.  Killed hundreds.  Around Armagh.  That's why your club is named after her. Possibly.  :P

As for thejuice's Casement argument, i assume he was only trying to draw a distinction between the purely cultural (i.e. the language) and the political.

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 25, 2008, 11:04:52 AM
I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

She was a bad one.  Killed hundreds.  Around Armagh.  That's why your club is named after her. Possibly.  :P

As for thejuice's Casement argument, i assume he was only trying to draw a distinction between the purely cultural (i.e. the language) and the political.

:D :D :D

Probably.

thejuice

Rodger Casement was also a huge Irish Language enthusiast. He was one of the founders of the gealic league which had a top priority of promoting the Irish Language. He did more for the Irish Language in his short life than the consecutive Irish Governments since. His devotion to the language was only matched by the likes of PH Pearse. Juice, If you look at the life of Rodger Casement you might not be so quick to change the name as he was a remarkable man. I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

I never said he was a bad person nor would I have a problem with his involvement in the war of independence. Its not his character or history I or anyone has a problem with its his relevence to Coventry, (the papers didnt complain they were more curious). I just find it strange naming teams after people which have very little if nothing in common with their location, therefore have little for locals to indentify with. Now had Roger Casement been born in Coventry, or lived here or had some attachment to the area it would make sense. Thats all I'm getting at.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016