referring to english teams as "we" or "us"

Started by Drumanee 1, March 19, 2008, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

i just cant understand this crap about people from ireland referring to man u and liverpool as "we" or "us",it really winds me up,i have to admit i like to watch man utd on telly and would keep a eye for there results but i certainly don't going around saying "ronaldo was good for us today".whats the general consensus with you lads who follow English or for that matter Scottish teams?

T Fearon

When you are a shareholder like myself you can legitimately call the club of which you are a part owner "us" or "we".

lynchbhoy

I think there is a case when some folk have invested into clubs like Tony F (although his 'shareholding doesnt yield any dividends I woudl reckon so he is not exactly a shareholder - just a contributor....sorry Tone).
also as Celtic have Irish roots and connections (esp with North west Irish folk) it is a more accurate 'we'.
Same goes for rangers - if you are into sectarianism or bigotry, I would certainly class you as being correct by referring to rangers as 'us' or 'we' in that instance!

However, the fat barstool sitting pub fans that refer to man u or liverpool etc as us/we etc are ludicrous. More than likely they have never played the sport, visited their soccer pitch or a combo of both.
I cringe when I hear it - but it depends on who is saying it.
I know a guy who had a brother play reserve for utd - and calls them 'we'.
I think they are entitled to it...

Tankie

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on March 19, 2008, 03:34:11 PM
i just cant understand this crap about people from ireland referring to man u and liverpool as "we" or "us",it really winds me up,i have to admit i like to watch man utd on telly and would keep a eye for there results but i certainly don't going around saying "ronaldo was good for us today".whats the general consensus with you lads who follow English or for that matter Scottish teams?

i get very confused with that whole situation. but i love when they start slagging the brits tho and you say is your team not british and they try crap on about how there are more foreign lads on the team so they are hardly an English team anymore. But the most annoying thing for me is when they refer to another team as scum, what does a guy in Ireland who may travel to liverpool once or twice every couple of years for the big piss up know about Everton - Liverpool relations or Arsnel - Spurs!

But i wouldnt let it bother you Drumanee. i find it laughable really.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hound

The thing I like best about following sport is the passion you can get from throwing yourself 100% into it. You're exhilirated when your team wins, despondent when things go bad. After years of supporting a team a bond definitely grows. Certainly supporters are important to any team - and therefore, IMO, entitled to use the phrase "we" if they so wish.

T Fearon

The truth is it has been going on for generations. An old grand uncle of mine, who would be in his 90s if he was alive to-day, used to tell me about him and his mates when they were young and  one of whom was nicknamed after Dixie Deans. Apparently  he always used to brag "we won to-day" if Everton won, and that was back in the 1920s, long before the television age!

PS Lynchboy I got a dividend of £8 from my Spurs investment last year ;D

mannix

Lets remember its a bit of fun and a release for a lot of lads from the boring lives they live.Stuck with a life with no bright points or outlet such as waiting to see their heroes play on a winter tuesday evening  would be a terrible thing.
Live and let live.

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on March 19, 2008, 03:52:11 PM
The truth is it has been going on for generations. An old grand uncle of mine, who would be in his 90s if he was alive to-day, used to tell me about him and his mates when they were young and  one of whom was nicknamed after Dixie Deans. Apparently  he always used to brag "we won to-day" if Everton won, and that was back in the 1920s, long before the television age!

Would that even buy you a bargain bucket Tone ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 19, 2008, 03:52:11 PM

I sit corrected!

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Tankie on March 19, 2008, 03:46:34 PM

i get very confused with that whole situation. but i love when they start slagging the brits tho and you say is your team not british and they try crap on about how there are more foreign lads on the team so they are hardly an English team anymore. But the most annoying thing for me is when they refer to another team as scum, what does a guy in Ireland who may travel to liverpool once or twice every couple of years for the big piss up know about Everton - Liverpool relations or Arsnel - Spurs!

But i wouldnt let it bother you Drumanee. i find it laughable really.

it doent really bother me that much,but i was at a gaa match recently and a man of at least 50 years of age was saying after utd had just won a match "we have it in the bag now",well considering the man involved i was surprised to say the least and basically took the mick out of him for the rest of the match.

rory

I am a big Boston Celtics / Red Sox fan and when talking to my Yankees / Knicks supporting brother, I refer to the teams as 'us' and 'we'.  Same when I talk about Liverpool.

People on here seem to have a problem because of the 'english' aspect of the whole thing when it comes to soccer teams.  Don't see the problem myself.

bennydorano

I find it amusing to see the anti-everything brigade(concerning GAA matters) who go apopleptic when certain English soccer teams are mentioned unfavourably.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2008, 04:11:50 PM
I find it amusing to see the anti-everything brigade(concerning GAA matters) who go apopleptic when certain English soccer teams are mentioned unfavourably.

Yeah scouse bastards

thejuice

I think its something thats just a convienince. I wouldnt consider Atlanta Falcons as "we" or "us" but sometimes during a game I refer to them as "we", as in "we need a touchdown", "we need to get rid of Vick", "we are losing again", "we are playing shite". Obviously its illogical as I have no connection with Atlanta or anyone on the team.

I do consider Meath as "we" and "us" although I know well I'll never get to wear the Green and gold for my county.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Orior

I'm with you on this one Drumanee. By the way, do you host a weekly morning show on BBC Radio Bluster? Gerry Anderson was going on about the same thing last week too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians