referring to english teams as "we" or "us"

Started by Drumanee 1, March 19, 2008, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

I use the term we when talking about Liverpool. Mostly just because it's handy when talking to my mates who know who i support. I'll be honest I kinda think it's a pretty petty thing to get wound up about. This thread oftens pops up on here every so often for as long as I can remember and I have to admit to not understanding why it annoys some people. I mean it's more or less just short hand is it not?

nifan

Quote from: T Fearon on March 19, 2008, 03:52:11 PM
PS Lynchboy I got a dividend of £8 from my Spurs investment last year ;D

Looking at the chart their im surprised how well spurs shares have done in this last year.
In saying that - Joe Lewis was a big investor in Bear Stearns and look what happened to their share price!

Farrandeelin

I'm a Man Utd fan and it's 'we' when Utd win, and 'they' when Utd lose...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggysego

Used to bother me, but not so much anymore. It's more about a passionate connection with the game, rather than a physical/geographical link with it. For instance, Tony. Forget the fact that he claims he a shareholder, that's besides the point. He obviously shares a great love for Spurs and always refers to them as "we" and "us". Same as The Real LaoisLad with regards to Liverpool. I've no problem with that. Well other than the fact, it's a poor sport ;)
Testing Accessibility

the green man

I always refer West Ham as West Ham. Unless they beat a big team then its 'we gave youse some beating there'

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI think there is a case when some folk have invested into clubs like Tony F (although his 'shareholding doesnt yield any dividends I woudl reckon so he is not exactly a shareholder - just a contributor....sorry Tone).
also as Celtic have Irish roots and connections (esp with North west Irish folk) it is a more accurate 'we'.
Same goes for rangers - if you are into sectarianism or bigotry, I would certainly class you as being correct by referring to rangers as 'us' or 'we' in that instance!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of affliations with British clubs (and personally I would call Man Utd "we" now and again), to make a distinction between Celtic and Liverpool/Man Utd is just ridiculous. They are both football clubs in Britian.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

I'd call myself a fan of Arsenal, the Chargers and the Tractor Reversing Society. As part of the fanbase 'I' become 'we'. We are a group who follows the ups and downs of their fortunes. Can't see the problem in that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

As a fella use to say to me when i said, about Liverpool, "we won today", "what position were you playing?"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rosnarun

whenever some one in a conversation uses we referring to a soccer club .i always  remenber to speak slowly and not use any big words .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ONeill

Yes, better for you to speak it instead of writing it down.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Fear Rua

so my 'learned' colleagues who actually does qualify to use the term we??
Its Grim up North

AZOffaly

I think it's the first XI, and possibly  the substitutes listed and the manager. Everyone else has to say 'they'.

Leg End

Quote from: ONeill on March 19, 2008, 10:31:10 PM
I'd call myself a fan of Arsenal, the Chargers and the Tractor Reversing Society. As part of the fanbase 'I' become 'we'. We are a group who follows the ups and downs of their fortunes. Can't see the problem in that.

couldnt have put it better...

once ur a fan of a club (as long as its a true following) you have a connection with the club and can call them we or us. The only thing i see that is sad is people getting annoyed about it. Another thing that annoys me is that some people get on their high horse and rant on about being a true gael and gaa man through and through and totally disapprove of people supporting an english club... What the fcuk has it got to do with ye's.

I used to play for my parish in Gaelic football till i got injured at 22 then i started coaching them.. I refer to us as  "us" and "we"
I played soccer for my local club and refer to us as "us" and "we" and would still go and watch their games even though i cant play anymore
I am from down and get to all their AI matches and try to get to other league and cup matches (not as often tho) and refer to us as "we" and "us"
I am a die hard Man Utd fan. A annual member of Man Utd football club. I'm a member of a Man Utd Supporters club. I travel to watch them between 6-10 times as season. and refer to us as "we" and "us"

If you think i am wrong to do so... so feck. wat has it got to do with u.

I am passionate about everything  i do and and everyone follow and think i have the right to refer to any of the above mentioned as "we" or "us"
we're here for a good time, not a long time

rosnarun

Quote from: ONeill on March 19, 2008, 11:00:37 PM
Yes, better for you to speak it instead of writing it down.
see what success can be had when using small words. you nearly understood my point
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Leg End

not so much a joke but trying to show that these terms are interchangeable like stated in previous posts.
If i was talking to someone who has no interest or doesent know much about the teamthen the conversation may go like this with

Other person: Where are you from?
Me: I'm from Down
Other Person: Where do they play their home matches
Me: They play them in Newry
Other Person: Did you's have a game this week?
Me: Yes we were playing longford
Other Person: DId you's win?
Me: Yes we won by 5 points i think
Other person: Where you at the Match
Me: No but i try to get as many of their games as possible the last game i was at was when we won the Mckenna Cup

depends on the situation i think...
we're here for a good time, not a long time